“Worth the wait”

Neighbourhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Manila
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Lined up for 3.5 hours, bearing the unexpected nippy cold. The service while waiting and inside was warm, however. And the sushi, so delectably awesome. In the end, glad we stuck it out and thankful for the unique experience.

1 Thank rebelsage

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
sydney
“There are 2 branches”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We went to the one on the edge of the markets, not the one with the long long line of other tourists. It wasn't easy to find though. We were the only non-Japanese there, and were seated at the bar. No English spoken, so it was quite an experience, also because it was the first sushi restaurant we had been to in Japan. We were given a set menu as our only option ( it had been loosely translated into English. We watched a well dressed lady delicately pick apart a fried fish, hiding the bones under the remaining fish, and it looked so yummy but chef shook his head when we politely motioned towards that dish, apparently we couldn't have it. The sushi was certainly not the best I've eaten, but was good, and the overall experience was also interesting

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank princessbuttercup66
Hong Kong, China
“So fresh & so clean - 5am sushi”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our five point review:

1. SKIP the tuna auction, I've not been but my fiance has and in reality, the REAL auction now happens before the tourists arrive on the scene. Once the tourists get to access it, it's a very short exercise. Instead, come to Sushi Dai (if you love sushi), and line up! We got to the market around 3:30a and walked around the area (it's a little scary with the dark and the fast-moving vehicles everywhere), took awhile to find Sushi Dai and lined up.

2. Cannot stress to ARRIVE early. We were customers #7 & #8 in a 12-seat restaurant that turns the tables once every 45 mins. If you arrive late, it's a long wait! The restaurant opens at 5am so get ready.

3. Awesome coffee shop next door to pickup a strong brew while waiting in line. We had a good time chatting with our fellow sushi enthusiasts and travelers. Part of the fun was feeling hardcore seeking sushi deliciousness at 3, 4, or 5am

4. Onto the sushi, delicious. The best was the horse mackerel and the toro. Every dish was made amazingly, the ambiance was simple yet elegant. Crowded and small area, but the chefs accommodate, speak some English (also a little Chinese and Korean). At the end, we both got to choose one more al-a-carte. We both chose the toro, which was amazingly fresh and just melted in our mouths

5. The chefs, I find it amazing, when you love what you do, it really shows. All the chefs had many many years of experience but when you see them, they are all smiles. You love what you do and you stay young doing it. These chefs personify that statement.

One of our defining experiences in Tokyo!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Andrew W
“Melts in your mouth”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I am a picky sushi snob. I've eaten sushi at some of the best places in NYC. While I've had a few pieces of memorable sushi in the US, this place is consistent on all pieces. I ate 11 sushi from the chef menu. Blew me away. So fresh and refreshing. No fishy taste or dryness. Each piece was moist and just melted on the palette.

I did wait over 4 hours to get in, which is debatable if it's worth it. But if you have time to kill, wait and you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Traveldooder
San Francisco
“Amazing - go on a weekday”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Be smart - if you want to go to this restaurant in the middle of high season, do NOT go on Saturday! Promise yourself right now you won't do it.

We got to the fish market at 3:30 and the tuna auction allotment was already done for the day! So, naturally, we navigated our way over to Sushidai. To our surprise, there was already a very long line out front (4am - we got lost), and one of the chefs told us it would be about four hours until we got served. Not truly believing him, and not wanting our expensive taxi ride to have been in vain, we stayed. And let me tell you - the sushi chef was right! We were served around 8:15! We waited four hours in the cold, and even saw the sun come up! Make friends with those standing in line around you. The last thing you want is to be freezing cold for 4 hours and bored out of your mind.

All that stated, it was fantastic. Don't waste the visit by ordering anything other than Omakase. Besides the stunning quality of the fish and freshness, the sushi chefs are constantly talking to their delivery men, asking what in the fish market is the freshest and telling them to buy it. No matter how much you spend at a sushi restaurant, you will not get anything fresher than this - which is why it's so famous.

The fatty tuna was one of the most luxurious things I've ever eaten. It was so good we ordered a few more before we left (Omakase gives you 10 individual nigiri + 1 of your choice - it was so good we just kept on ordering). If you can't finish your rolls (guilty), they let you take them to go. The strangest thing that was served Omakase-style was clam membrane. It was still pulsating and moving, and I'm a little ashamed to say, I had problems getting it down. Something else I had never had was the baby shrimp - seemingly around 100 baby shrimp perfectly layered on top of rice. Some of the shrimp were event smaller than the rice kernels! I'm told it's a rare delicacy.

Overall, absolutely amazing. Definitely go! Just not on a Saturday.

• Visited March 2014