“4.5/5”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I've rated it 5 because there isn't an option for a 4.5. I got there right after the tuna auction at 550am.

We were told upfront that it was a 4 hour wait but we didn't believe it - 4 hours sounded a bit long as the queue didn't look THAT long. I expected to eat by 830.. but the reality was that we got in at 1050!

I'd still definitely recommend you go if you like sushi. It is really good sushi at a great price (4000 yen or $40 only). Out of the 11 pieces, 3 were outstanding - probably the best I ever had, 6 were really good and 2 were disappointing. Again, as with the tuna auction, this place also has an "experience" factor. You tend to make friends in the queue - I had a lovely time with a couple of folks who were standing behind me for 4 out of the 5 hours and we dined together.

You also get the authentic sushi bar experience. The chefs are lovely - very humbled by the fact that we wait for so long. They apologized us, thanked us and really wanted to make sure we had a great time. The sushi didn't meet my sky high expectations but was really really good (the shell fish is half alive and a somewhat freaky eat!).

As we discussed when we got out, it's the sort of thing that makes for a great story. And a big thank you to my queue friends as they definitely played a huge role in this rating given the time we spent.

One additional note on the sushi - my new friends had eaten at Sukiyabashi Jiro and said Jiro's sushi was at at another level altogether. While great for $40, Jiro's attention to detail was simply beyond compare in their opinion. So, if you have an opportunity to do that, please do make sure you go - I am struggling with getting a reservation for the moment.

2  Thank rrohan189

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ignoring all the advice we have read, my friend and I arrived at Sushi Dai around 7:00am. Our wait lasted around 4.5 - 5.0 hours in total. My friend and I took turns staying in the line - while one held our space in the line, the other explored the Tsukiji Market (which had a lot to offer in itself). The line was orderly, and the shop will hand out the occasional green tea, plastic chairs, umbrellas, etc. for those waiting in line. Take note that the back of the line is not in front of the shop, that is the waiting area for the dozen or so people who have made it to the front of the line; the back of the line is usually out on the concrete / road area round the corner.

My friend and I both got the chef recommended omasake set, which gets you 10-12 pieces of sushi selected by the chefs (and 1 further a-la-carte piece that you can choose from a menu; the menu has English translations). While I have had better, Sushi Dai still comfortably ranks 'up there' - the fish is extremely fresh and the chefs are obviously skilled - so in consideration of the 4000 yen price tag, you are getting a fantastic amount of value.

Compliments to the chef on being genuinely enthusiastic about their work. In addition to the top-notch sushi quality, they also made an effort to explain what they were serving. In addition to Japanese, snippets of English, Mandarin, Cantonese explanations were also heard as the chefs served the different guests sat in front of them. A special shout-out to the chef's attention to detail, upon realizing I was left-handed, they switched up how the sushi / gari (sushi ginger) was positioned in front of me.

All in all, the wait was admittedly a pain, but I still had a fantastic time.

1  Thank Eugene L
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Arrived at 5am when they opened and still had to wait 3.5 hours before being seated. We were given some green tea while waiting outside. Thankfully, the line was maintained and managed by the owners. With so many people around, it could be easy for others to try and cut the line. I saw this from other sushi restaurants nearby. The place only seats about 12-13 people, so everybody is pretty squished. Once we were seated, I loved how they just served the sushi right on the bar in front of us. Each time a new piece of sushi was placed on the bar, we were told what it was. When getting the omakase menu from other places, all the sushi was made and placed on a platter before being served. I enjoyed getting the food as soon as it's made and knowing what type of fish it is without having to ask. Best of all, the fish here was the best I've had. I tried a few other sushi places in the area, and Sushidai had the best quality fish. They must have a very good fish buyer. Certainly worth the wait if you really love sushi.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sushidai is simply spectacular. Located in the Tsukiji Market area, it is a great place to have sushi for breakfast. A filling course of sushi costs approximately $42 U.S. per person. This meal includes about 10-12 unique pieces of sushi, as well as plenty of green tea.

I stumbled upon this place following a visit to the tuna auction. If you take the tuna tour....

* From the place you hand in your tour vest, cross the street, turn left, then immediately (after maybe five steps) turn right down a walkway of shops. En route you will pass a men's washroom. At the women's washroom at the end of this aisle (after about 100-125 meters; you can't miss it) turn left. Cross the street. (Watch for traffic!) At the second corner on your right hand side, you will see the line. Sushidai is around the corner (where there is also another line.) Once you turn the corner to the line directly in front of the restaurant, it is probably another 45 minutes or so.

* If you are jetlagged, or if you decide to skip the Tuna Auction, simply get here by 5:00 a.m. to beat the tuna auction crowd and later line. I was here by 5:55 a.m. following the tuna tour and waited for 2 and 1/2 hours!

* Sushidai has maybe 12-13 seats. The line moves very slowly. I imagine that those who arrive around 7 or 7:30 a.m. will easily wait 5 hours.

* The sushi here is amazingly fresh and amenable to western tourists. There are no strange things that will come as a shock to the typical western palate, just fresh sushi with components such as crab, tuna, shrimp, salmon, etc.

* If you get here and decide the wait is too long for Sushidai, there are other places around that also fill up and gradually attract lines of their own within steps of Sushidai.

2  Thank mbc421
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We reach 7am and waited till 1230pm. Both of us took the package of 10+1 sushi (omakase course) which is Yen4000. The sushi is fresh but I would say we have tried fresh sushi at other restaurant as well, minus the wait.
Another good thing about this restaurant is their good customer service, the ever friendly chef and waitress.
But I must say I would have to give it a miss next time. A 5.5 hours queue is no easy task.
PS: I was "conned" by some of the review to try out the "sperm sacs of cod fish". Both of us chose that as our last sushi. We regretted. It taste and smell exactly like human sperm.. Yucks...

3  Thank MLI_MLI

Been to Sushidai? Share your experiences!