“You haven't really eaten sushi until you've tried it here so brave the line!”
Review of Sushidai

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Cebu
“You haven't really eaten sushi until you've tried it here so brave the line!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My two kids had their first sushi here after a very long 5-hour wait on a Saturday (April 19) and told me I was crazy to make them line up for so long (longer than our flight to tokyo actually) but now, they crave for sushi so badly they are willing to brave the line here again for no sushi in our place could come close to sushi dai's! It's not just the sushi but the experience in sushi dai that's worth the wait.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Foodandtravelcrazy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Long wait that's worth it.....”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Unlike some of the other great sushi restaurants in Toko (eg: Jiro's sushi) there is no booking system, so everyone, equally, has to wait (this is great as some of the other great sushi restaurants book out months in advance, so this place is great for the unprepared/lazy traveller)
So as a result the wait is long but it will be for some of the best sushi you have ever experienced.
While waiting, the restaurant will occasionally bring you some tea, which is nice of them.
I suggest going in a group of at least two, that way, one person can keep the place in line while others explore the market.
The sushi itself is mind-meltingly good. Any weariness from waiting in line so long soon disappears a that first mouthful of fresh seafood touches your pallet...
There are two set menus with the option of extra ala-carte sushi once you finish.
All of them are great, you can't possibly go wrong (except the sperm-sack sushi, which is a little weird as it's served hot - but hey, everything should be tried once!).

• Visited December 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“4.5/5”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I've rated it 5 because there isn't an option for a 4.5. I got there right after the tuna auction at 550am.

We were told upfront that it was a 4 hour wait but we didn't believe it - 4 hours sounded a bit long as the queue didn't look THAT long. I expected to eat by 830.. but the reality was that we got in at 1050!

I'd still definitely recommend you go if you like sushi. It is really good sushi at a great price (4000 yen or $40 only). Out of the 11 pieces, 3 were outstanding - probably the best I ever had, 6 were really good and 2 were disappointing. Again, as with the tuna auction, this place also has an "experience" factor. You tend to make friends in the queue - I had a lovely time with a couple of folks who were standing behind me for 4 out of the 5 hours and we dined together.

You also get the authentic sushi bar experience. The chefs are lovely - very humbled by the fact that we wait for so long. They apologized us, thanked us and really wanted to make sure we had a great time. The sushi didn't meet my sky high expectations but was really really good (the shell fish is half alive and a somewhat freaky eat!).

As we discussed when we got out, it's the sort of thing that makes for a great story. And a big thank you to my queue friends as they definitely played a huge role in this rating given the time we spent.

One additional note on the sushi - my new friends had eaten at Sukiyabashi Jiro and said Jiro's sushi was at at another level altogether. While great for $40, Jiro's attention to detail was simply beyond compare in their opinion. So, if you have an opportunity to do that, please do make sure you go - I am struggling with getting a reservation for the moment.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank rrohan189
Hong Kong, China
“Worth it!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ignoring all the advice we have read, my friend and I arrived at Sushi Dai around 7:00am. Our wait lasted around 4.5 - 5.0 hours in total. My friend and I took turns staying in the line - while one held our space in the line, the other explored the Tsukiji Market (which had a lot to offer in itself). The line was orderly, and the shop will hand out the occasional green tea, plastic chairs, umbrellas, etc. for those waiting in line. Take note that the back of the line is not in front of the shop, that is the waiting area for the dozen or so people who have made it to the front of the line; the back of the line is usually out on the concrete / road area round the corner.

My friend and I both got the chef recommended omasake set, which gets you 10-12 pieces of sushi selected by the chefs (and 1 further a-la-carte piece that you can choose from a menu; the menu has English translations). While I have had better, Sushi Dai still comfortably ranks 'up there' - the fish is extremely fresh and the chefs are obviously skilled - so in consideration of the 4000 yen price tag, you are getting a fantastic amount of value.

Compliments to the chef on being genuinely enthusiastic about their work. In addition to the top-notch sushi quality, they also made an effort to explain what they were serving. In addition to Japanese, snippets of English, Mandarin, Cantonese explanations were also heard as the chefs served the different guests sat in front of them. A special shout-out to the chef's attention to detail, upon realizing I was left-handed, they switched up how the sushi / gari (sushi ginger) was positioned in front of me.

All in all, the wait was admittedly a pain, but I still had a fantastic time.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Eugene L
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Arrived at 5am when they opened and still had to wait 3.5 hours before being seated. We were given some green tea while waiting outside. Thankfully, the line was maintained and managed by the owners. With so many people around, it could be easy for others to try and cut the line. I saw this from other sushi restaurants nearby. The place only seats about 12-13 people, so everybody is pretty squished. Once we were seated, I loved how they just served the sushi right on the bar in front of us. Each time a new piece of sushi was placed on the bar, we were told what it was. When getting the omakase menu from other places, all the sushi was made and placed on a platter before being served. I enjoyed getting the food as soon as it's made and knowing what type of fish it is without having to ask. Best of all, the fish here was the best I've had. I tried a few other sushi places in the area, and Sushidai had the best quality fish. They must have a very good fish buyer. Certainly worth the wait if you really love sushi.

• Visited April 2014