“Tajima needs this type of perfection”
Review of Ukai Tei

Ukai Tei
Ranked #8 of 9,440 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ginza, Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Ukaitei Ginza for our first time and dined with my brother,who is a move frequent visitor. (Thank goodness he was paying- it wasn't cheap)!

We did go all out and opted for the special course (30,000yen per person) and it was certainly worth it. For first time visitors to Japan, we wanted to try the famous beef and a place like Ukaitei is the perfect setting. The tajima was the star of the show, cooked to perfection with just a touch of oil and salt and pepper on the tepanyaki grill. The chef cautiously portions out the pieces so there is not fighting amoung the guests!

All of the courses were devine. Lobster and scallops cooked to perfection. The lobster bisque was another top dish as the sauce was full of flavour and beautifully paired with the lobster meat.

Our chef was a welcome addition to our meal. With 30 years experience he was a delight to talk to and added to our experience. We sat at the grill which is my preference and I enjoy the atmosphere and can watch the other guests as they admire the chefs cook. It still feels private as your chef keeps you entertained throughout.

The restaurant has interesting decor. Very old world elegant but the teppanyaki grill is modernised wigh Mozaic tiles and plenty of stainless steel. I enjoyed that We were moved to the lounge to enjoy dessert once the teppanyaki show was complete. The creme brulee was a perfect end to my meal and who doesn't like a selection of petit fours!

A truely beautiful experience. Depending on what you usually spend on a meal out, for most average folk this would be considered a special occasion meal.

We booked a week in advance.

1  Thank SamBell83

Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

I must have been to the Ukaitei's across Ginza and Omotesando almost a dozen times now. Sometimes solo, sometimes with friends and often with clients. Each time has been amazing. There is always the same super high quality food and insane attention to detail from the chef's and waitstaff. I love bringing people I know to Ukaitei, as I want as many people as possible to try this experience at least once in their life!

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

The food was absolutely amazing. We had our own cool which made the food and everything was brilliantly presented and tasted amazing!!!

Reviewed 16 October 2016

Although the waiting area for the restaurant has a bit of a stuffy, old-fashioned feel, once you enter the restaurant itself you find that it has a very modern, unique & artsy feel. The atmosphere is posh yet a bit related, and the service is excellent. The food was unique and much of it new to me, equal parts tasty and strange. We had a live abalone served to us and I found it a bit disturbing to have to watch it die on the grill in front of us, but perhaps this is common practice in Japan. Also very pricey, good for a special occasion or unique luxury travel experience.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

Stepping inside the restaurant, wow! Great service to detail and attention.

Great teppanyaki, scallops, and the detail in which they serve their customers, the plating, the cutlery, plates that they use, so beautiful and unique to each of us, a party of 5.
This was a blessed treat by our brother-in-law.

The best was yet to come; the dessert and the dessert tray of petit fours!! ohhh!!
So beautiful in dimply, even more delicious when put in your mouth!
Then they had the white wine jelly and grapes as a dessert choice - this was absolutely so unique in taste - I could have had a couple of bowls full of it!

Very nice place, but yeah, a bit on the ex side.

I call this their "mi-chi-lin" standard of at least 3 bright stars! hahaha

Been to Ukai Tei? Share your experiences!