“Lovely hole in the wall.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Uogashi Senryou

Uogashi Senryou
Ranked #525 of 7,911 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
S'pore
“Lovely hole in the wall.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Just had a really enjoyable meal here with the specialty dish. Recommended by a Japanese friend in the food industry also. Freshness and the clams in sake as well as fresh oysters. Yums.

1 Thank 1roadboss

• Thai first
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Small Hole in the Wall with BIG Taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

It's by no means undiscovered by the line that was out of the door when we arrived. But unlike Sushi Dai, this line actually moved. We were quoted 10min, and waited 9min (vs 4hrs at Sushi Dai). A quick note, it's a little tricky to find, but it's down the road from Sushi Zanmai, and if you write down the name, anybody can lead you.

We ordered the mixed chirashi bowl and the salmon and also the otoro donburi. I would not recommend the toro bowl if you like it fatty. We were told it was otoro, but it didn't even in the picture look like any otoro I've had. Less marbling and more linear fat lines. Maybe chutoro, but I wouldn't know. At $38 a bowl, it was not worth it. The salmon was quality and at $7 a bowl, quite unbelievable. Now let's talk about the star of the show. EVERYONE at the restaurant got the mixed chirashi bowl. This is not likely something you will find anywhere else in Japan. You get a ton of small cuts of fish with some bits of tamago and cucumber thrown in. Uni was the cherry on top, and for $5 more, you can add more uni. I did not, but I recommend you do so b/c it's a key part of how the meal runs. So first you eat about half your bowl. Mix the wasabi with some soy and season the meal first. Try not to eat any of the uni, b/c for the second part of the meal, they mix everything together and the uni is what imparts the creamy texture of the dish. Eat only half of the uni mixed rice for the remainder gets dashi stock added to it and you have a delicate soup. You do get a bowl of miso as part of the meal...miso with bits of crab in it. For $1 more you can get another bowl. For $24 for the mixed chirashi, I was floored.

If I had to choose Sushi Dai or here, I would go here, since there is little wait and the quality is still very good. Sushi Dai's otoro was leagues better...so spend that $38 there. Or go to Sushi Zanmai down the street and get better otoro.

I could only dream of a place like this in the States. Do yourself a favor and experience Uogashi Senryou.

Did I mention they speak English? Our waitress spoke perfect English.

• Visited October 2013