Lowest prices for your stay
Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Priceline
£35
Go to your Happy Price
Stephanie W
Melbourne

Great choice if you don't intend on spending your days in the hotel.

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Jul 2012
Let me preface any negative comments by saying that, overall, this place was an excellent hotel to stay in - we were out and about for 12 hours each day so it really was just a place to crash for the other half of the day and it was well-suited for this.

However, from the reviews here I was expecting the desk staff to speak English fairly well and be very helpful for tourists. Our luggage was delayed two days by our airline and we desperately needed to buy essentials (underwear, toiletries etc), so my first question of the staff was where I could find such things at this time of night (about 9pm) but unfortunately they had no idea what I was asking so we felt rather lost and alienated, having never been to Japan before. Luckily the Lucky7 next door had a few things we needed. Also the hotel room had many essentials - toothbrush, toothpaste, razors, and you could get more things in the lobby - it's like they assume no one brings these things!

On our first night we were too nervous to go into any of the nearby restaurants as they all looked very exclusive, but we tried our luck at one place and it turned out one of the cooks spoke English very well and we ended up going back there every day of our trip because she treated us so well and we felt so welcomed there - it was great! If anyone staying at this hotel wants the name/address of that restaurant, let me know.

Anyway, the hotel rooms were tiny, obviously, however we survived, and my boyfriend and I are both quite tall. We're not used to staying in huge luxurious rooms though, so it was fine for us.

I did see a couple of cockroaches in our room however it didn't really bother me that much, and no-one else has mentioned having bugs in their room so it's probably not common.

It was just a short walk to the nearest subway station and from there you could get everywhere, we had no problem with the fact it wasn't on a 'main' line - it still took you easily to popular places like Asakusa, Ginza, Akihabara and Ueno easily (and the Narita Express stops at Ueno) and other places like Shibuya and Shinjuku on the other side of the city only took one change of train anyway.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, just don't assume all the desk staff can speak English well. It's not a problem that they don't, I just wish I hadn't gone in thinking that they could, because of tripadvisor reviews.
Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
  • Expedia.com
    £119
1.2 miles from Tokyo Hotel Horidome Villa
View more hotels in Chuo
All reviews family mart free coffee convenience store rooms are small minute walk the hotel staff location is great wi fi yoshinoya station train english tokyo stn
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This hotel is mid-way between the subway stations Higashi-nihonbashi, Ningyuchho and Bakuroyokoyama. Like all hotels in Tokyo, the rooms are small and the bathrooms are even smaller but everything is clean and there was a TV and a kettle for hot water. It seems to be more of a business hotel although the staf were polt eand helpful. There are restaurants close by (including on the doorstep) and there's a Family Mart convenience store next dor but one. Good location for all sighs. Good value for money.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel was a 10 minutes walk from Kodemacho Subway station (Hibiya Line - H 14), 15 minutes walk from Ningyocho Subway station (Hibiya line - H 13 or Asakusa Line A 14) and 15 minutes walk to Shin Nihombashi JR station. The hotel provided free wifi in the room and hotel lobby for the hotel guests. We booked two rooms for us with 2 young children as we have expected small rooms in Tokyo hotels but yet this hotel room and the bathroom were tiny. The good thing was it was clean. We came slightly after midnight due to our flight delay and the hotel checked us in right away but the hotel refused to extend us for the next morning check out time which was 10 AM ! (Normally, hotel check out time in Japan is 11 AM). Basically, we only had less than 10 hours to sleep, showering and preparing our 10 and 7 year old kids after such a long flight. We stayed there only for a night because we were going to Osaka the next day but I guess that would be the only night we would stay in that hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Globaltrading
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Tokyo is really expensive; this hotel makes it not so hard on the wallet. Yes, the rooms are tiny, but they are clean and functional. The bathroom was small as well, but certainly did the job. No breakfast, but they do serve coffee in the morning and have tea-making facilities in each room. The staff is extremely helpful

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I chose this hotel to be close to a friend of mine who lives in the neighbourhood. It is quintessentially Japanese but full of what looks like really nice restaurants. This is a basic hotel which is only 15 mins from the centre and has 3 or 4 subway stations close by on the popular lines. The room I stayed in was small. It served it’s purpose. Free wifi was only available in the lobby area which is quite normal nowadays but not convenient if you want to do some research of the city before you head out. I’ve lived in Tokyo before so it wasn’t difficult to get around but for those who haven’t been it’s probably too Japanese and possibly too far from all the tourist sites. The limousine bus isn't close by so I took a 700 Yen taxi ride to the hotel. Besides that, if I wasn’t travelling alone I definitely would have ventured out to try one of the many restaurants around but I can't guarantee they would have English menus. My friend said it was an expensive Japanese neighbourhood so it was very safe but most places are safe in Japan.

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2012

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
This review is the subjective opinion of an individual traveller and not of Tripadvisor LLC nor of its partners. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.