National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation Miraikan
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 615 helpful votes
“Yawn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I was expecting a much better museum about technology in an advanced country like Japan, but I was very disappointed with this place. The exhibits are outdated at best. All I can really say for it is that it wasn't crowded when I visited because it was raining. I can imagine that it would be unbearable on a busy day. As it was, the hands-on exhibits were overrun with children pushing buttons with no clue what the point is.

The live demonstrations are only scheduled a couple of times a day and as far as I could tell there is no way to know what that schedule is before you arrive. Most of the huge building is just empty space. The big floating video orb is interesting, but what's the point? I sure couldn't figure it out. And, I've seen more advanced versions of this same idea elsewhere.

We were so bored that we left after about an hour. I usually love this sort of museum, but this one is a total waste of time. There are many malls and other attractions in the area that would at least be fun rather than using up an hour of your life you'll never get back. Really, skip this and do anything else. It is a nice building, but there's nothing in it you couldn't have seen ten years ago.

Visited May 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tokyo for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My son loves to go Miraikan because you could experience science there and the explanation made in english too. Great place to bring your kids to learn more about science!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Melisa Precious J
Milan, Italy
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“One of the best science Museum I've ever been”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This museum is quite cool, and I love the whole set of facilities and games thought for children and school classes. Even if you're an outsider, you'll have no problem at tall because everything is English translated...well almost everything, the live show at the big world ball are japanese only ^^

We spent a nice time here after visiting the Gundam Front, just 5 minutes away and I would say it's worth the time if you're in Odaiba :)

Visited August 2013
Silsden, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Most interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Plenty on display, but do have patience with the younger crowd who play with the interactive stuff. Some of the exhibits interested me, but as always with these types of museums some of the displays did not. Fascinated by the spacecraft and astronomical displays. However, got my timing so very wrong for participating in the space-walk show, so will have to do that next time.

Asimo's performance was excellent. Yes, the range of movements he was put through was quite limited; but so what? How many museums of any kind will you find anything like Asimo? To witness first-hand this technological marvel was just excellent. Get into position early, though - there is always a BIG crowd.

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable visit despite a few out-of-date exhibits.

Visited November 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Place to go if you're interested in new knowledge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Spent four days having conference in the museum and was given a quick tour (1 hour) by the management. Since it's a quick tour, the management only highlighted a few interesting things in the museum, the world globe (10 minutes presentation), ASIMO (10-15 minutes), the space shuttle (5 minutes) and another 15 minutes on a movie-presentation on earth. I managed to to try out some interactive tools which kids will definitely love it while learning new knowledge. I managed to persuade my wife to visit the museum while I was attending course and she also like it very much, particularly with the interactive tools.

Visited February 2014

Travellers who viewed National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation Miraikan also viewed

Been to National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation Miraikan? Share your experiences!