“Great base for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kurumi Mansion

Kurumi Mansion
Perth, Australia
“Great base for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed in this aparthotel on our last stay with my wife and two small children. We were in the slightly cheaper room facing away from the river but spent little time looking out the window anyway. The room was big for a Tokyo bedsit with a small kitchenette and the expected tiny bathroom.
The rooms are aged and the beds rickety, one of our three beds felt like it might collapse entirely. Common facilities are sufficient with free washing and drying machines and equipment to keep your room clean.
Location is awesome, just far enough off the main roads to be quiet but a quick trip into the heart of Tokyo and close to convenience stores.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I travel on a wheelchair and I recently stayed at Kurumi Weekly Mansion for 9 nights with my wife. On arrival, we used the bridge nearer the Suitengumae Station but we found that it was too steep. We decided to use the route from Eitai bridge on other days. The distance is longer but it is easier to manage.
The location is good as it took only about 15 minutes for my wife to push me to either of the stations, Suitengumae and Monzennakacho. There are many stores nearby that we can buy fresh meat. vegetables and microwaved rice to cook in the apartment. There are also many eateries nearby.
I rate the apartment excellent mainly because of the service provided by Mr Sasano. Knowing that I was hoping to watch all the World Cup matches on TV, he took the trouble to find the info pertaining to the dates, time and channel. He also showed me how to use the remote control to watch programmes on TV in English for dual language programmes.
I would give 101% for service had the toilet cum bathroom a bit bigger. Though it is a big challenge for me to use it, it is still manageable because I brought along my own folderable plastic stool. This, I believe it's common inTokyo.
I will not hesitate to recommend the apartment to my relatives and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank equalis
Albuquerque NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I found this mansion accidentally while I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay. Its location and description was very interesting to me so I made a reservation directly through their home page. Mr. Sasano, the manager, replied immediately no matter what time of a day and how many time on my inquiries.. To me, that showed sincerity and kindness and I had no hesitation to reserve a room for a week. I asked for a single room with a view of Sumida River. To get to the mansion is rather easy if you follow a detailed direction given in its home page. I went from Suitengumae station on the Hanzomon Line(Purple). Since I knew I would have to climb up and down many steps on a bridge to go over the big river I'd sent my suitcase on 'takkyubin' from my previous stay. The mansion is only 7-8 minutes walk from Suitengumae and also 10-12 minute walk to another station Monzennajacho on the Oedo Line(Pink). The building is painted blue with nine stories and has an old-fashioned coca cola vending machine and a cute water mill in the front. The management office is on the fourth floor. It does not have a lobby, just a window. They made my check-in and check-out time so flexible I appreciated very much. By the way I checked in at noon and was told I could check out as late as 1o'clock in the afternoon. My room was on the fifth floor and of course facing the main river of the city. As Mr. Sasano opened the room for me I was so impressed with the size, brightness and the view ! As an usual custom and also to preserve the floor and its cleanliness we have to remove our shoes and use provided slippers in the room. The room has two windows, a tiny but fully functional bathroom, a small kitchen with everything you'd need such as a sink, a fridge, an induction stove, a microwave and a set of cooking utensils and dishes. A comfortable chair and a coffee table was nice to relax and watch TV. There also was a small table with a chair that I could use to write on. I almost ducked under the table early one morning when we were hit by 4.5 earthquake. A single bed beside a large window was comfortable but I think the mattress is needed to be replaced soon. They provide a bath towel but nothing else so I recommend to take your own toiletries and a wash cloth if you use it. You can replace sheets and bath towels on your own that were found in the third floor laundry room. The washer, drier and detergents were free to use.
I enjoyed to sit on a bed and watch the river and sight-seeing boats go by. Across the river is a large IBM building and to both sides we could enjoy the views of bridges especially to the left, a beautifully lit Eitai Bridge in the evening. Since the mansion is in the older part of Tokyo the area is very quiet, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are many convenience stores and small restaurants a little walk away. I even found an old-fashioned tofu shop that I used to see in Harajuku neighborhood I grew up 50 years ago and no more.
Over all it is a very inexpensive, relaxing place to stay. The only complaints is that we have to walk over a bridge and its vicinity is rather quiet and dark (it is not the mansion's fault) but I had no fear because I know it is very safe to walk alone late at night in Tokyo. Since there aren't rails on windows I'd be very careful if you stay here with children.
I wish I'd planned to stay here longer. There aren't any usual service such as room cleaning and changing towels and sheets but I really enjoyed the freedom as it was like I was in my own apartment. Mr. Sasano is very kind and gentle and I'd like to thank him and also wish him the Best in the future. I definitely will stay here next time.

Room Tip: Definitely a room with a river view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Tangarini
Tandil, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Great place to crash in Tokyo, really quiet, good scenery next to the Sumida river and within 15 minutes of several train / subway stations. For those using the JR pass, Hatchobori station is 15 minutes away and only a station away from Tokyo station for shinkansen connections, the Chuo line or the Yamanote line.
The rooms are big by Tokyo standards and come packed with a fridge, tv, AC and a microwave oven. As a plus, there are several free to use washing machines. The manager, Sasano-san, is a great host and speaks fluent english.
Great value overall, will definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank joapf
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I am a frequent traveler to Japan, for 2 weeks at a time, and do not feel the need to pay the high prices to stay at the fine hotels catering to those on expense accounts. I now enjoy searching out comfortable and inexpensive accommodations, which have the adding benefit of introducing me to unfamiliar sections of Tokyo, and sometimes Osaka. Having stayed at 8-10 "guesthouses", "weekly mansions" and "apato" over the past 2 years, I can say with considerable confidence that Kurumi Mansion is the best-in-class for inexpensive, short- to medium-term stays.
The strong points: 1) spacious rooms, compared to Japanese business hotels. I had one of the smaller rooms on the ground floor, and it had twice the space of the Tokyu Inn I had stayed at in Osaka; 2) mini-fridge, microwave, hot plate and dishes in your room; 3) in-room toilet, bath/shower; 4) free laundry machines; 5) 10-minute walk to Monzennakacho station and a cluster of ramen, Japanese and Indian curry, Mister Donuts, McDonalds, Freshness Berger and the like in that area; 6) Mr. Sasano, who runs the Kurumi Mansion business office and is very personable and helpful.
The less-than-optimal points: Although you can walk 10-12 minutes to three different stations (Kayabacho, Suitengumae and Monzennakacho), you still have to walk 10-12 minutes. If it's raining or you're coming home late in the night cold, you will wish it were closer. And, personal observation, Japanese washers and driers found in homes are not as effective at cleaning and drying as ones in the US. It could be the technology that prioritizes water and energy conversation above all, but the end result is just not effective. Several blocks away there is a coin laundry with commercial-size appliances, where the results will be better.
Finally, the word seems to have gotten out what a fine deal the Kurumi Mansion is, such that I took the last available room with a reservation made 10 days in advance. At less than $40/night it is a great bargain.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank RiBrown74
Gdansk, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Nice apartments, good value for money, Yasuo-san was very helpful with everything,Close to nice sushi places, close to subway lines connecting(Hibiya,Hanzomon) main sightseeing attractions, bus to the airport- 5 m by foot.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tsunami L
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

A nice and pleasant stay with great river view if you get the room with window. The apartment is a little old but all the necessities are made available. The host is very friendly, well-mannered, helpful and speaks very well English!! that cut down half the effort to learn about the neighbourhood and all the essential where-about Tokyo attractions.
During the first week of Spring the natural breeze coming from the river gave me a good night sleep.
I will definitely consider to stay there again on return trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family