“Outstanding Service...Excellent Stay!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
San Ramon, CA
“Outstanding Service...Excellent Stay!”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I booked a stay at Westin Tokyo for 6 nights, at 20,000 Starwood points per night. This is a Catagory 6 hotel, so the expectation is very high and I was pleasantly surprised that the service is beyond excellent. I am a Starwood Platinum member and travel quite a bit for leisure, so I have other good properties to compare with, including St Regis Beijing and Shanghai.

Though TripAdvisor, I found Mirei Ri at Westin and contact her prior to my arrival. I highly recommend that you connect with Mirei, as she is an invaluable resource and she will make your stay perfect. I can give you her email, if you send me a message.

Pre-Arrival:
I contacted Mirei, in hopes of getting an upgrade to a suite. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked, so was not able to get a suite, but I was able to get an excellent room with a great view of the city and Tokyo Tower on the Executive Club floor (17th floor). I also requested a special US DVD player and empty mini-bar, both requests were filled. Mirei also provided much info on transportation, shopping, local attractions, which was VERY helpful!

Airport Transfer:
The Airport Limousine bus counter is located just outside of Narita Terminal 1 baggage claim and I am sure they have one at Terminal 2 as well. The cost is 3,000 Y and go to stop 13 at the curb after you purchase your ticket. Takes 1 hour and goes to the front door at Westin, departs at 25 min past the hour. Orange and white bus...can't miss it. www.limousinebus.co.jp

Check In:
For the Executive Club, you can go directly up to the 17th floor and there is a separate desk there to check you in. The check in was very welcoming, as I got to meet Mirei and the general manager of the hotel, Andreas Trauttmansdorff...That is really VIP treatment!

Guest Room:
Although it was not the suite that I hoped for, the room was very nice and I loved that it was located so close to the Executive Club Lounge. The view was awesome and the room had the standard Japanese DVD and the special US DVD player with small flat panel TV, also available are On Demand movies. There is also a DVD store right next door, if you want to rent and a movie theater across the street at Yebisu Garden Place, (no English movies when I was there).

In the room is a desk, loveseat, Westin Heavenly Bed. The bathroom has separate tub and shower, robe, slippers and the best Bvlgari toiletries...heavenly! Two in room safes, including one for laptop with outlet for recharging. You will love the heated toilet seat.

The mini-bar was emptied, so I could put soda and snacks inside and there was coffee maker (with coffee)+ hot water dispenser (with tea), 1 free bottle water per day. The air conditioning in the room was the BEST! It was unbearably hot in Tokyo in early Sept ( the room was my oasis at the end of the day). There were no suites available and other Platinum members I met, were also not able to get these larger rooms, probably because this property doesn't have that many.

Mirei also had chocolate mints waiting for me in the room and I had requested more, they were so yummy! Mirei (with special help from the IT staff) got my iPhone connected to the Wifi in the room! Daily newspaper is provided. Platinum members get the room internet with no charge, otherwise, I think there is a small fee.

I also got extra hangers (always need those) and electrical adapter.

Executive Club Floor:
Breakfast is included with the Executive Club floor rooms and for Platinum guests. The choice is the buffet breakfast at The Terrace Restaurant on the first floor (normally 3600 Y) and you will be tempted by the large selection, including pastries, toast, bagel, fresh squezzed orange and grapefruit juice, fruit, yogurt, cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, salad, pasta, fish, japanese breakfast ( pickled vegetables, miso, rice) and much more. The restaurant is very crowded on the weekends.

The other option is the relaxing breakfast in the Exec Club Lounge with all the basic options. Room service is also available and the Continental Breakfast is about 3000 Y.

During the day, the Executive lounge features beverages and pastries and Happy Hour from 5:30 - 7:30 pm with drinks, snacks and yummy hor d'oeurves. Also, it is a gathering space and I met other guests.

Restaurants:
There are many restaurant options at the hotel, although I did not eat at any of them, including on the 22nd floor Victors (Continental), Yebisu (Teppanyahi), Compass Rose (lounge) 2nd floor Ryutenmon (Chinese), Mai (Japanese), 1st floor, The Bar, Lounge and Terrace.

Across the street at Yebisu Garden Place, they have many restaurants, and on the top floor of the office building and in the ground floor of the Mitsukoshi department store, there is a fantastic food hall and gourmet grocery store (not to be missed). At the Ebisu subway station, there are so many budget, but gourmet food options.

Transportation and Location:
I found that the hotel location was ideal, it was a short walk (even in the heat) to the Ebisu subway station, where you could get anywhere in Tokyo. The Skywalk is just past the Yebisu Garden Place (across the street from Westin, which features the famous Joel Robuchon restaurant). Taxis are readily available at the hotel also (800 Y just to hop in).

The metro station is a little confusing, as there are 2 metro lines running (JR Yamanote Line and Hibiya Subway). It is a major hub, so it is very easy to get to your destination from here. You can get( for a 500 Y deposit) a reloadable Pasmo subway card that will remain in your wallet and you just wave it over the turnstile and also can be used at convenience stores and restaurants.

Hotel Amenities:
The free Westin WORKOUT is located on the 4th floor next to the Le Spa Parisien. You can use the spa facilities with a Day Pass with I think is about 3500 Y. The Swedish 60 min massage is 16,800 Y and in room massage is also available with a 20% discount during certain hours. There is also Westin Kids Club and Business Center. I believe they have arrangements for nearby pool use, if you desire. There is no ATM, but one located at the metro station or in the office bldg at Yebisu.

Tokyo:
I had booked a one day sightseeing tour on the web via Viator, prior to arrival and Mirei helped me confirm the pick up at the hotel. The bus tour included the main sights of Tokyo, Meiji Shinto Shrine, Imperial Palace Garden (tons of mosquitos here), Asakusa temple, lunch, bay cruise near Rainbow Bridge and waterfront Aqua City shopping mall. Book online ahead of time and it is less than when you book with hotel concierge.

Mirei also helped me with information on the Tsukiji Fish Market, which I
recommend. You dont have to go to the Fish Auction at 4:30 am and the fish market is a fun, unique experience and there are many casual places to grab fresh sushi.

The best shopping experience is at the new Marunouchi district. You casually stroll the tree and art lined street Nakadori with the high end stores, like Hermes. At one end of the street is the gorgeous Peninsula Hotel and the other is, the not to be missed Shin-Marunouchi Building (several floors also filled shops and restaurants). The Tokyo National Museum in Ueno Park is nice and there are other museums here to visit.

My local friend took me to Roppongi area for dinner at Gonpachi, which is a lively place with locals and visitors alike. They have many Japanese "tapas style small dishes" here to share and very affordable!

Definitely would highly recommend the Westin Tokyo and recommend the Executive Club Floor rooms, which offer numerous amenities. The outstanding service can't be beat and anything you need will be taken care of. It was so nice of Mirei to see me off in my taxi and made me sad to say goodbye! I also received very nice emails from both Mirei and the general manager after my departure!

Please enjoy my Tokyo Picasa Web Album:

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank SusieJue
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
May we sincerely thank you for your stay with us and for your gracious review. We cannot imagine how much of your valuable time and thoughts were put in, a heartfelt thank you. It gives us great encouragement that you found your stay with us a pure delight. Never do we regard “service” as an obligation, but rather embrace it with genuine joy in being able to contribute to our guest’s experiences. Taking detail to a different level and understanding our guests is our priority. Please come and visit us soon again. Your words have been received with much gratitude- 'Arigatogozaimasu’!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Have stayed in great hotels world wide. This one rates at the top. We were dusty and carrying only back packs, having shipped our luggage ahead to the Westin some days previously (great system by the way). The staff did not miss a beat despite our appearance - throughout our stay all hotel staff were super polite, helpful and accommodating. We upgraded to club and enjoyed a fabulous room with fine inlaid wood furnishings, an exquisite bath, lots of toiletries, nice yakutas and slippers ect, great linens and a view that at night felt like an infinity pool of lights: there were floor to ceiling windows looking toward the downtown of Tokyo. The club floor offered nice happy hour snacks and drinks plus a very good breakfast of mixed Japanese and westerns treats. The buffet was equally available to us (included with room) on the main floor. It was vast! Don't go there on Sunday though unless you book ahead - it is a fancy and popular place for family brunch. The hotel offers access to a fitness center in the mall which can be reached from the lower level of the hotel so you don't need to go outside.

The hotel is located in a quieter area of Tokyo which frankly is rather a relief from much of the city density. Still, it is well served with indoor/outdoor shopping center attached, great restaurants around and a skywalk moving sidewalk to the Ebisu Subway Station. The station is on a the main JR line that circles Tokyo, so it is easy to get to - look for the East Gate sign when you get off the train. As you approach that exit you will see the skywalk. Looking straight ahead, you can see the Westin sign as you reach the very end of the skywalk: hotel is situated on the far side of the mall. We did discover that you can walk inside through the mall if it is raining. Stay to the right when leaving the skywalk and head down a level. Then you can walk through to the far side of the mall and via a sort of tunnel at the end, straight into the lower level of the hotel. The hotel web is quiet poor for directions unless you are driving - but we found it easily enough at the end.

Importantly, we discovered that the tall office towers on one side of that pretty shopping mall had two full floors at the top for restaurants. Some had almost theatre style seating that allowed a superb view for everyone. There must have been 20 +restaurants up there - all different. and ranging from pub style to very expensive. You take the elevators inside the tower lobby

• Stayed June 2010
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Thank you for your stay and for taking much of your valuable time to review us. We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us was more than delightful. Your words are great encouragement and will for sure be shared with the entire staff. We work to ensure that every aspects of our property, from location to interior décor, our gourmet cuisine to our staff all cater in making our guests feel better than when they first arrived- renewed and rejuvenated; your senses elevated. Our website is under major revamping, in preparation for a much detailed user friendly site! Please do come and visit us in soon again! We anxiously wait for your next arrival!
toronto canada
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a week in July.A beautiful hotel but not centrally located.The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to the subway.With taxis being so expensive in Tokyo,subways are the way to travel.The rooms are very adequate similar to Hampton Inn rooms,very dark lighting and hallways did not seem to be air conditioned..It was very hot during our stay and there is no swimming pool...service was very good and breakfast was excellent .This hotel is in a quieter area.If you do not mind travelling 20-30 minutes to get to the centre of things and don't want a swimming pool,this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
May we sincerely thank you for your stay and for taking the time to review us. We are delighted you found our service and gourmet breakfast fulfilling. Location wise, we had hoped we would be a sanctuary from the hustle bustle for your relaxation and interior décor, designed for your well-being to feel relaxed and replenished. We regret not informing you of an adjacent facility with a pool that we welcome guests to use (fee based). We would like to be as accommodating to each and every one of our guests. For your future stay, please do not hesitate to let us know of your discomfort whether it may be of temperature or just about anything- we will ensure quick resolution as your comfort is vital to us. We anxiously wait for your return. Until then please take care.
Zurich
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This the very best Westin hotel I have been to, being a grade above the rest of the chain.

The rooms are spacious and luxuriously furnished, with very high quality throughout.

The hotel's location is not the most convenient, being a 7+ minutes walk from Ebisu station using covered moving walkways. It is also near the end of its airport limousine route. However the area is pleasant, upscale, and has many eateries with character, a nice contrast with hotels located in business districts.

I found service at this hotel to be exceptional, with capable, eager, gracious, and genuine staff going out of their way to fulfill even little requests. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank hp1212
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
A heartfelt “arigatogozaimasu (“thank you” in Japanese) for your stay with us and for your words of great encouragement. We believe in offering the best of international standards combined with immaculate Westin Tokyo hospitality and service- attention to detail, tailored service, and effort in understanding our guests. Our location we hope, a respite in the center of Tokyo, is a unique attribute ‘designed’ to assist you to escape from the daily grind. Thank for allowing us to contribute to your Tokyo experience. We hope to see you very soon again.
Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Location was great! All kinds of neat little restaurants nearby. Ebisu garden place accross the street was a nice place to walk around. Check out the large supermarket there on the bottom level of the department store. It was great! You can take the escalator down one floor from the Westin lobby, and there's a tunnel under the street that takes you right to it.
The staff at The Westin Tokyo are top notch! The housekeeping staff did a great job. Rooms were very clean. Beds were comfortable.
The (orange) airport bus going to Narita Airport stops right in front of the hotel and runs all day. It's only about $35 each way.

We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank bigK6-5
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 17 June 2010
Thank you for your review and even more for your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that your visit to Tokyo was a truly enjoyable one. Our location, Ebisu is quite a gem. As you’ve mentioned, the many hidden discoveries here and there are popular to the local community as well. We boast true Westin professionalism and personal attentiveness to our guests! We only hope for your return in the not so distant future, until then please take and stay well. Great profile photo!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My fiance and I stayed here for one week. We have stayed at several starwood properties around the world, but our experience at the Westin Tokyo was absolutely one of our favorites. Knowing that we had an upcoming wedding, Mirei Ri along with the staff greeted us with champagne and a congratulatory note along with a helpful packet of information about the city and hotel.

As a platinum member, we were upgraded to an executive floor room and then a suite. Both rooms were wonderful. While we agree with other reviews that the decor is more reminiscent of the Sheraton brand, this in no way compromises the overall feel of a very clean, modern, luxurious, inviting and calming space. The Westin amenities and touches were still prevalent and of course the heavenly bed was very plush and comfortable.

All of the facilities including the gym, executive lounge, breakfast buffet at the Terrace restaurant and at Mai were outstanding. All of the staff were extremely patient and helpful and answered any questions we had. Additionally, several staff members remembered our names and greeted us throughout the hotel. For example, after seeing us wait at Mai for breakfast, one staff ran into us later on that day and asked us how our breakfast was. It was details like this that truly separated this hotel with other ones.

The location of the hotel along with the surrounding area would perfect for any type of trip--- family vacation, business, romantic getaway, etc. The Yebisu Garden Place across the street offers great restaurants, shopping and even a beer museum! Atre at the Ebisu JR station is also a great place to buy nicely packaged souvenirs and gifts. Otherwise, you can get to any of the popular Tokyo areas (Shibuya, Harajuku Shinjuku, Ueno, Tokyo, Asakusa, Ginza, Tsukiji, etc.) within a short train ride.

I travel frequently for work and have stayed at many hotels in Asia and around the world for extended periods. However, the Westin Tokyo will always remain a personal favorite and I can't wait to come back on my next trip to Tokyo.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mhrcheng
Thank you for your gracious review and even more for choosing The Westin Tokyo on a special trip. Adding that vital personal touch in every possible way is our priority with our cherished guests. We only hope that every aspect of our property, from location to interior décor, our gourmet cuisine to our staff all catered in making you feel better than you first arrived- renewed and rejuvenated; your senses elevated. Your kind words give us great encouragement and zeal to better serve tomorrow than today. We anxiously wait for your return. Until then, please take care and stay well.
hong kong
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Loved the hotel which is well located near the Shibuya area.
The front desk staff were really welcoming and helpful. The only complaints I would have is that I found the lighting in the room inadequate and quite dark, this is personal decor taste as it was a slightly older hotel. You also had to pay to use the spa heat facilities which in other hotels are free of charge to hotel guests. Treatments are quite pricy but thats the going rate in all Tokyo hotels. As a keen runner they provide a pleasant running map which was very enjoyable early morning. The best part about the stay was the breakfast buffet, it was incredible with amazing selection and choice, great bread station - really well done to the F&B team there.
I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank myspaguru
Mireiwestin, E-Business Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Greetings. Thank you very much for your stay and for taking the time to review us. We are truly glad to hear we were able to delight you upon your stay with us. We wish that each of our guests leave our property feeling better than when they first arrived -- refreshed and rejuvenated. We are in constant reflection in how to better serve our guests- your voice is an important part of this reflection. As for our interior décor, it is derived from the classic Empire style of the Napoleonic era expressing “liberation” and “enlightenment”. We hope to offer a calm atmosphere where, one can "elevate your senses, restore the body, and expand the mind". Thank you for allowing us to contribute to your Tokyo Experience. We hope to see you soon again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meguro
Shinjuku
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 111 in Minato
Shinagawa / Gotanda
Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo

Been to The Westin Tokyo? Share your experiences!