“everything I need”

Tokyu Stay Aoyama Premier
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I'm entering my third week at this Tokyu Stay, and it feels like home. Like other travelers have mentioned, the room is on the small side, but normal for Tokyo and comfortable for one. It has a small fridge with freezer, kettle, hot pad, and most importantly for a multi-week stay: a washer/dryer combo tucked by the door. Other hotels have seemingly larger rooms, but the floor space here is used for these extras that make a long stay away from home bearable. There are cubbies to store things everywhere.

The staff speaks perfect English and goes out of their way to be helpful. They sell little things you might need in the room - like a pack of laundry detergent for 30 yen. The hotel is almost right on the Ginza line, which is an easy way to go most places in Tokyo. A word of warning - the Ginza line is PACKED during commute hours. This neighborhood is quiet for Tokyo: there's not that much in the area itself, but Omato-sando is only a 10-minute walk away. For the Americans here, the ATM at the post office right around the corner will be great to have, since most ATMs here don't take our credit cards. There's also a convenience store, grocery store, and at least 15 restaurants within a 3 minute walk. Like I said, quiet for Tokyo.

Being the only high building on its block, you do get great views. One side of the hotel faces Mt. Fuji (in the distance, but pretty cool to see) and the other side faces the giant Oracle building, a cemetery, and the green spaces of a large park. On the ladies only floor, the rooms type B (larger rooms with kitchenette) face Oracle and gets the sunrise sun, type A face Mt. Fuji and I assume gets sunset sun in the room. The curtains are heavy but not blackout curtains. At night there's baseball games in the school field below, and it's fun to watch the little people run around.

Weird thing about reservations: when you reserve on their web site they don't ask for your credit card. The web reservation system is a little convoluted, but it is in English. When you show up and check in, they charge you for your entire stay.

Breakfast is decent and the little croissants are delish. I'm glad I read the other reviews and brought my own squishy pillow: they do have Japanese pillows here. Next time I'm in Tokyo I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank stompypuppy
There are newer reviews for Tokyu Stay Aoyama Premier

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I chose this hotel for its location on my visit back home because it's very close to where I was born and lived till my departure for the US long time ago. So I am very familiar with the area. The hotel is a few minutes walk from Gaienmae Station on Tokyo's oldest subwayGinza (orange) Line It is very convenient to get to many major spots inTokyo on this line such as Shibuya, the Imperial Palace and Japan's National Government area, Akihabara, Ueno and Asakusa. There are two local bus routs to Shibuya through now famous highends shopping district of Omotesando and Roppongi. The bus stop is right around the corner from the hotel. Although we can walk to Omotesando and Shibuya the bus service was handy. The hotel also is very close to Meiji Shrine, Takeshitacho, Meiji Outer Garden with the National track and field stadium (1964 Tokyo Olympic major stadium) and two baseball parks. Shinjuku and other areas are also easy to get to by transfer to other lines, The area is full of modern shops and restaurants. A super market Peacock is relatively next door. Also a post office where we can use ATM is very close.
The hotel occupies the 13th where the lobby is to the top floor(26th?). The guests get to the necessary floors by using room cards on the elevator so it's very secure. Since it is relatively new the facility is very modern. My room on the 22nd foor was exclusively for ladies. The room is equipped with everything we need, a fridge, a microwave oven, a set of dishes, a trouser press and a washer-dryer combo. My room faced the West toward Aoyama and Shibuya. Mt. Fuji can be seen on fine days. From the hallway window we can see Shinjuku highrises and all the way to the right Tokyo's newest attraction "Tokyo Sky Tree" was visible. Fom the lobby we can see other directions including Tokyo Tower. The room is not large but it has a good size (Queen size) bed and it was big enough for me.
The front desk staff was polite and helpful. They kept my luggage for a day without any fuss.
My plan included breakfast which is served on the 2nd floor "Architect Cafe"/ It is a combination of Japanese and Western style buffet but more on Japanese side. It could be richer in varieties but it was sufficient.
Overall I rate this hotel excellent. It is perfect for shopping and sight seeing. The only thing is that it is rather on the higher price bracket for a "business hotel".
I enjoyed my five days very much and I especially enjoyed the views from the hotel. I was greeted with the stunningly beautiful night view when I returned to my room at night.
I'd like to thank all the hotel staff for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable.
I regret I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tangarini
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located with many boutique shops (for many well known brands like Coach, Louis Vuitton, and Prada) nearby. There are also many restaurants in the area. My room was on the 25th Floor and had a spectacular view of Mt. Fuji. The hotel does not appear to have bellmen, which is very unusual for Japan. The staff at the desk is less helpful than other Japanese hotels. Breakfast selection was limited and tended towards more Japanese norms. There were 4 pillows on the double bed. 2 were buckwheat. The other 2 were this odd gelatin-like compound. The bathtub was quite narrow and the shower head had a rather narrow stream. This hotels seems like it is more focused on Japanese travellers and less on Western travellers.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Bit more expensive than the standard Tokyo "business hotel" but nice decor, unbostructed views (can see Mt Fuji from west facing rooms in winter) and terrific Aoyama location make it worthwhile.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 27 July 2011

As luck would have it, we were given a room on the top floor facing Mt Fuji. We woke up to an amazing panorama of Tokyo each morning! The room was a decent size that didn't make us feel claustrophobic, and there was a combo washer/dryer for longer stays. We did not see instructions in English, so you will probably need to ask staff for help if you need to use it. The hotel was located very close to the metro in a ritzy neighborhood. I liked that the lobby was on another floor so that staff didn't watch your comings and goings as is usual in other places. Breakfast was included with the room and was served buffet style (had a mixture of Japanese and American options). Definitely a good value!

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room facing Mt Fuji!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JKnyc
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The location is unbeatable - really. I have been to Tokyo maybe 100 times as I travel there every 6-8 weeks. I love the Aoyoyama/Harjuku neighborhood where Tokyustay Aoyama is. In a crowded, often ugly city it is really a livable place. The hotel is new and the rooms are spotless. The views can be beautiful as well with a view of Fuji on one side of the hotel when weather permits.

However, I refer to my room at Tokyustay as "The Cell". It is exactly like a prison cell in size and configuration. That's just how I feel staying there - like I am in prison. A small desk at the end of the room, a tiny bathroom, a small bed with incredibly hard pillows. With all the Westerners there, I would think they would provide a decent pillow. A carefully rationed towel with that isn't soft, cozy or absorbent. There is a small fridge, tiny microwave, and a hot plate. But, I am an adult, I don't hot plate my dinners from $3 grocery store packages.

If you are on the east facing side about three hours after the sun rises, the sun will bake the room so much you have to close the blind. A room that size heats up like an oven - fast. And with the blind closed the prison cell experience is complete.

It's cheap folks - you decide.

There is a washer and dryer in the

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BigInJapan
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Don't expect too much. The rooms are small, standard equipment, but nothing really to complain about. Internet is free, TV channels are only Japanese. Location is good even though you are not really in the heart of the action. Wouldn't mind to stay again but also wouldn't mind to stay somewhere else. Breakfast is a buffet in a public cafe. OK, but also nothing exciting.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Danitias
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Sakura Fleur Aoyama
Shimane Inn Aoyama
Shimane Inn Aoyama
#97 of 112 in Minato
Tokyu Stay Shibuya Shin-minamiguchi

Been to Tokyu Stay Aoyama Premier? Share your experiences!