“Absolute top !”

Neighbourhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Bucharest, Romania
“Absolute top !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Words just cannot do justice to what is going on in this place. The sushi and sashimi are on a completely another level and watching them at work is bliss! I also appreciated the somehow relaxed atmosphere. The very best in sushi, hands down.

4 Thank calin_yoz

Malmo, Sweden
“Is it worth the hype? Definitely, fine dining at it's best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The last 6 month prior to our trip to Tokyo we tried to get a reservation at Jiros. Almost impossible but at last we managed through the help of Hilton Tokyos concerge service.

Firstly it was very difficult to find the restaurant, so if you are going - it is at exit C6 at the Ginza subway station. Go down the stairs and go left through the glass doors where you see the Birdland-logo. It's right across the Birdland restaurant (which is the only letters you probably will recognise).

Now - to the dinner experience. If you love fine dining, this is definitely worth it. I have previously visited Noma in Copenhagen among other restaurants and it's definitely in the same league. It is as much an experience as it is a dinner.

The dinner is over in 45 minutes and you are served approximately 18 pieces of sushi in a specific order. It is absolutely top quality sushi based on seasonal fish. It's excellent in preparation and execution. The service is also outstanding.

But be prepared to be "watched" by both Jiro and the staff, when we visited there was not much talking among us guests. You are served one piece at the time and you eat mostly in silence.

It is pricey - approx 30.000 yen for one person - but for us, fine-dining nerds we would do it again without hesitating.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank madwax
Oslo, Norway
“Amazing lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Sukiyabashi Jiro, located in Roppongi Hills is Jiro Ono’s youngest son Takeshi’s mirror image of his fathers restaurant in Ginza. After decades of training, and working under his fathers watchful eye, Takeshi decided to set up his own shop, since as per Japanese tradition his older brother was to take over the fathers restaurant.

Eating here is one of the finest food experiences I have ever had. Positioned in the bar the most amazing sushi creations comes to life right before your eyes, all crafted together by the skilled hands of Takeashi Ono. Sitting there, watching this process is both fascinating and extremely appetizing. The pieces are put together with a mixture of extreme precision, gentle care, love and respect for the produce and tradition.

Every dish had an amazing taste, and the visuals to match it. My wish is soon to return to Tokyo, and when i do - another visit to Sukiyabashi Jiro will be a top priority.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank EivindL807
Tokyo, Japan
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was my best Sushi experience ever, and also enjoyed watching it being created right in front of us to such perfection. I ate everything that was served, even though I'm normally picky with which kinds of fish/shelfish I eat, and I'm glad I did, because this was very different from what I've tried before. As the evening went by the atmosphere went from a litlle serious to very pleasant, and the chef Takashi Ono san and his surrounding team were nice to explain how everything was prepared, etc. We were a group of 4 with different needs as to how hungry we were, and this was adjusted during the meal, without them asking.. I can only recommend this, and hope to go back soon

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank brittdk
baltimore
“met expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

A lot of use TA as a resource for hotels, restaurants before traveling to a foreign place. MOST of the time the overall reviews are spot on, but in this case the 4 stars is not correct. This place certainly lives up to its famous name.
1 month prior to arriving in Tokyo, I asked my hotel to make a lunch reservation for me. Luckily, they were able to obtain a spot @ 1pm for the 2 of us. We took a taxi from the hotel and had a little trouble finding it's exact location. Our driver actually called the restaurant to get its exact location, got out of the car and directed us to where she thought it was. (up the stairs and on the corner of the building, across street from Roppongi Hills)
Anyways, the place is clean, basic, no frills. We arrived at 1245pm and nobody else was eating. The assistant chef informed us they would be ready in about 15 minutes. They served us tea as we waited patiently, awaiting our meal. Once we were seated, the head chef arrived and our meal began. Soon after, a group of 3 and 2 people arrived. I guess they have 1 seating depending on the number of reservations? A couple showed up and tried to sit down but were actually turned away. Our guess was they only buy enough fish for that day's service.
So, it's the head chef (who speaks a little English, but certainly is more chatty with those who can speak Japanese) working away as his 2nd in command helps any way needed. Agreed, the rice is slightly more vinegary than I was used to, but I got used to it quickly. The pieces were fresh, nicely sized and delicious. You eat with your hands, and you don't dunk the pieces into a bath of soy sauce/wasabi mixture like we do in the US. Since there were 3 sets of diners, the meal took about 50 minutes. At the end, we were offered to supplement our meal with repeat pieces or new pieces not part of the omakase. Naturally, we ordered another piece of toro and tried the scallop.

We finished the meal satisfied.. not stuffed. The chef offered to take a picture with us, and thanked us graciously for dining. Total damage was just of $500 USD for lunch... at least I was able to charge it!

So, is it worth it? Yes, it is.. if you get it. It's not a place for rolls with sauces, or sushi that is baked or deep fried (like in the US). You come for freshness, precision and an appreciation for what "sushi" should be. Certainly on par with Masa and Urusawa in the US. Check it out.

• Visited March 2014