“Lifetime dream fulfilled”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The owner of the Jiro Ropongi is the son of the famous sushi master, unlike his father, he is super friendly and able to talk to the guests in English or even Mandarin. The atmosphere was relax and enjoyable, not to mention the food quality is fantastic. As a sushi lover, this is your must-go in Tokyo. BTW, the owner is very friendly to Taiwanese guests as he has good friends in Taiwan! Only credit card accepted, no cash.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

My second visit to the Roppongi HIlls branch was still a great one. Takashi's sushi is amazing and the quality of fish is second to none in my culinary experience. He remembered me and we had great conversations throughout dinner.

I have to agree with other negative reviews on TA, although he was very friendly to me, it is a little bit off putting that he grumbles about his guests in Japanese if they behave in a way that he dislikes. He rarely scold them directly but it would be much more professional if he could just maybe educate guests on "his" proper way of eating sushi if it bothers him that much.

The biggest issue I have, is that in both visits, he occasionally yells at his apprentices. Sometimes he takes them to the back and the sound coming out of the kitchen is just brutal. Millennial should never work there.

Finally, I found there were a little bit of inconsistency between the visits. The second time's rice is a lot more sour, which almost threw the balance off in my opinion. I understand Jiro's style uses a bit more vinegar than others, and I noticed that the first time too, but it isn't overpowering. This time, it almost is.

Compared to Honten, this place is a bargain, with a much cheaper price and larger portion. However, it's still much more above average cost wise. If you are a sushi lover I would recommend a visit, but you will risk turning all your future subsequent sushi dining experience to sub par visits.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend begged for us to go to a sushi restaurant affiliated with Jiro after watching “Jiro Dreams of Sushi,” and this place lived up to the hype.
We had the sushi and sashimi lunch menu because the restaurant was booked solid for dinner even though we booked it through our hotel 2 months in advance. Location was not too hard to find, located on the third floor of a building Roppongi Hills.
The experience was great! We had the place to ourselves for most of our lunch. The attention to detail was evident and Chef Ono was friendly and taught us about the fish we were eating. I read some reviews about him being rude before going, but we found that was far from the truth. Chef Ono suggests ways to eat the fish that he believes are the best way to experience the flavor. Once you try a piece his recommended way, he invites you to try it the way you like.
The fish itself was delicious and fresh! Some stand outs were the scallop sashimi, flounder sashimi, chutoro sushi, fresh water eel sushi, sea urchin sushi, and salmon roe sushi. Every piece is prepared with a lot of thought.
I think this experience was worth the price for my boyfriend and I! If you have an open mind and a love for sushi, I’m sure that the experience will be positive!

3  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

What an absolutely amazing experience. Worth every penny. The only gripe I have is that all other Sushi is fu#|%~ed for me now. May Takashi Ono pass on his fathers greatness to his off spring and so on and so on

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I tried to get into his elder brother's restaurant but failed and this 2 michelin star restaurant was an excellent backup option. I did the sushi tasting (no sashimi) and it was 18,000 yen and more than enough food for one person. The chef makes the size of each piece of sushi according to the diner which means ladies will generally get smaller pieces unless requested while he's making it. As you would expect the man wants things done properly by his staff and while the younger servers made some errors and he quietly demonstrated this with them, it didn't bother any of us dining here and as the meal went on he became friendlier and liked answering questions about the fish and preparation. He struck me as a bit of a perfectionist but the atmosphere was light which I think he wants but he also wants to see you appreciate each bite he sets in front of you and by that I mean he wants you to think about it as you eat it. His ebi (prawn) and uni were really amazing as well and he describes each piece to you. All told it was an hour long experience. The restaurant is a little tough to find in super upscale Rappongi Hills and there isn't much going on in this area so don't make the mistake of wandering around the area for a couple hours before lunch like I did. There is a Tokyo observatory at the top of a skyscraper basically across the street if you can time everything right and want to check it out. You can bring bags/backpacks and they will be stored at the front of the restaurant behind the desk in wall compartments. There are 7 seats at the bar and a couple tables behind the seating area that seat 4 people each I believe. If you are going to splurge on sushi once in your life the way I did this place is a great option for you. Yes they take credit cards here and there is a big parking garage nearby.

2  Thank BRUCE W