“Frightening! Eerie!”

Ranked #23 of 28 Speciality lodging in Minato
Singapore
“Frightening! Eerie!”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I booked this hostel via hostelworld.com. I was in Yamagata before Tokyo. Wanted to extend my stay in Yamagata hence I called Mayflower to change 4 nights to 3 nights. The old man who answered couldn't really understand English. So I asked my Japanese friend to email them but no reply from them. When I arrived in Tokyo Roppongi, I found the hostel at a quiet and dark corner. It looked more like an apartment. No reception, no staff and not a single human in sight. I took the elevator and searched floor to floor. On the 7th floor the doors opened to a pitch dark crime-scene-perfect storeroom! Searched the common lounge and no one was there. I was alone (female) and lugging my luggage. What kind of place is this? I asked a passerby to help me call. Same old man answered and said he got no record. The staff apparently work from an office I think. Check in is at 8pm latest. I was there at 8.30pm. So what? If the guests encounter problem after 8pm, who can they look for? And the main gate was open, any psychopath could just walk in! In the end I had to go through the stress of searching for another hostel. Not recommended. Don't be deceived by their website photos.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Aki_07

Families
Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 October 2009

My friends and I knew it was not going to be a good time once we saw the "reception" area, which was basically like an apartment room but with alcohol bottles and random crap lying everywhere. Our rooms were in another building and it turned out that we had to share the bathroom/shower with some random dude who had been living there for a while. We had to get our own toilet paper, etc, and the doors to the shower didn't even lock. Great. The air con in one room didn't work.

The bonus was when we were in the common room and a giant rat ran across the kitchen. Eww.

Stay away!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank magesticbaby

Travellers are raving about these Minato hotels