“Beautiful views and good food.”

Roy's Tokyo Bar & Grill Roppongi
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Amazing views of Tokyo tower are the first thing that you notice here. The restaurant is well laid out with plenty of room for diners and the ambience is hard to beat.

The service, whilst good, was not as good as the location and price demand.

The entrees we chose were Japanese styled fusion dishes and in retrospect we should have chosen the more western dishes. In a Western city these dishes would have been exciting and well performed but in Tokyo they are just another entree. Certainly the quality and presentation of the dishes were very good, just that they did not have that extra degree of special.

Main courses were excellent. The sauces in particular were delicate and flavoursome without overpowering the fish.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I have been going to the various locations of Roys in Japan for 15 years. The last variation is the Roppongi Hills. Have been to this one 4 times. The qualitty and service have I believe hit the bottom. The menu has very few Roy's speciality now, at least in name. Had the main "blackened tuna" and "butterfish". Both were poor quality-- fish and the sauces were mixed ie the tuna sauce belonged on the butterfish. The tuna and the butterfish had little true flavor. Starters were fine but nothing special. Wine list is pricey but found a nice Chile Chard.
Overall if this was not Roys but something else would have said it was disappointing but given it was Roys I am ashamed for Roy letting his name to this place

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We chose to go to Roys in Tokyo as we had visited Roys in Waikiki in January and had a fantastic meal with great service. Our trip to Roys Tokyo was a big disappointment. Whilst some of the dishes on the menu are the same some have a real Tokyo flavour and that is a good thing. Our waiter for the evening seemed to find the whole 'waiting' thing a bit of a bore and barely spoke to us or engaged in any conversation. We tried to find out if there were any vegetables with the fish dish my husband chose and he did not seem to know or be prepared to find out. We had chosen from the main menu as the course menus didn't quite do it for us. The food was quick to arrive - smaller portions than in Waikiki and less attention to detail - no finger bowl with the ribs for example. I had the coconut scallops - three of them with a bit of fried coconut. Very tasty but not hot - they had been hanging around waiting to be brought to us. The same was true of my main dish (snapper). Tasty enough but not hot. When it came to dessert, I tried to engage the waiter in conversation about which to choose - he said 'The souffle's the best but it takes 20 minutes' and that was that. We ordered it anyway and while we were waiting my husband asked for another glass of wine which was met by a raised eyebrow an a 'tut' from our waiter when he was told (we'd had to order from someone else as he was mysteriouly unavailable!).

The souffle was great - just like the Hawaiin one.

In all a disappointing evening. I did mention the waiter's attitude as we left and was met with apologies from the manager and a recognition that all was not as it should have been.

Despite the fabulous view, lovely manager and other staff, I doubt we'll go back. There are far better restaurants in Tokyo. Shame.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

We used to go to Roy's for brunch regularly. It is still a good deal with your choice of appetizers, entree and dessert. Plus, they serve mini-muffins throughout... You won't go hungry. The crab cakes are good, but the choice of entrees have gone down so now it's more of an average brunch spot. Good thing is no need for reservations anymore. The specialty Asian-influenced sauces are good, but nothing outstanding. My family prefer the Hong Kong Teahouse dim sum buffet more, so we end up there when we are at Roppongi Hills.

1  Thank chakimama
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Much, much better in the old location in Aoyama--it suffers from the Roppongi Hills phenomenon.