“Great choice in Tokyo”

Ranked #12 of 111 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Long Beach, California
“Great choice in Tokyo”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just stayed here for a few days and thoroughly enjoyed my stayed. I had stayed a few years ago and it did not disappoint. The area where the hotel is located is somewhat quiet compared to many other parts of Tokyo but I find that to be part of its charm and appeal. It's easy to get to the busy parts of town without having to stay in them. That said, the hotel has good access to public transportation. The JR Yamanote line is a few blocks away (Hamamatsucho Station) as is the Tokyo Metro (Daimon Station). Addtionally, the hotel is connected by a bride to the Yurikamome monorail line (Takeshiba Station). If you fly to Haneda instead of Narita, the monorail from the airport drops off at the Hamamatsucho station where most others would transfer but you just need to walk a few blocks.

The rooms are very spacious by any standard and certainly over-sized relative to most rooms in Japan. If you get a bay view, it's spectacular with a view of Odaiba and the Rainbow Bridge. Service is quiet and understated but always prompt and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

I relied heavily on TA reviews when selecting this hotel, and most of the time we hit the nail on the head using TA...but not this time. This hotel is very dated. It smells musty,it needs new carpet, upholstery and wall coverings. These things just don't give out a good vibe from the start. The staff is great...lemmie just say that. But everything else kinda stinks. There's NO wifi in rooms. If you want blobby wifi, you have to pay big yen. Redic.

The rooms are just ok. Our mattress was ancient. The bathroom was mildewy. The products were good, because they are standard intercontinental issue. I was really surprised this hotel was so sub par for the brand. These rooms were not cheap...280usd/night. But I felt like we were at a step above the Days Inn.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank DallasFlysolofemme
belgium
Reviewed 11 April 2012

we -a family with 2 teenager kids age 13 and 11-just spent 6 nights in this very fine hotel.
In a hotel in japan you always have a somewhat 'lost in translation feeling' but here we were so glad having chosen this particular hotel in this neighbourhood ; First of all the area is not so busy but a nearby tower and the neigbourhood round daimon station about 200 m walking from the hotel has all you can wish for as far as eating is concerned ,moreover with the subway you're everywhere in town in 20 minutes.
We had chosen exec floor and it was definitely worth it : a fine continental breakfast in the morning and drinks in the evening in a relaxed and not overcrowded setting with a superb view on tokyo bay.
The room itself is very clean ,with comfortable and not too soft bedding and a very fine bathroom with shower and bath with great water pressure and a typical comfortable japanese toilet.
Are there any cons ? maybe the restaurant options in the hotel which were rather limited and expensive but as everything you can imagine as far as restaurants is concerned is within walking distance this is really not an issue
Pricing was fine throug the intercontinental hotel website.
Tokyo or more precisely the yen is however expensive.Taxis are very very expensive.

Room Tip: Opt for the exec floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank umu
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have been traveled from Tokyo to Kyoto for 12 days and we thought we might spoiled ourselves and relax a bit after the busy trip. So we decided to stay in this hotel. It definitely has the WOW effect and the view from the room lookout at the Tokyo Bay was magnificent.
Unfortunately there wasn't much around in the area, everytime you want to go somewhere you either have to take the Monorail and then transfer to other places or by Taxi.
I would think this is the last time i will stay at Intercontinental hotels, last experiences in Hanoi - Vietnam was a let down. this is the same. We have to pay for the WIFI and LAN internet service ,which i think is outrages for a business hotel with 4 1/2 stars rating. Most hotels in Japan would have provide free LAN or WIFI in the hotel...
The room is quite large which is a plus....i think this is a great business hotel, but definitely not for sightseeing tourist.
For me this is an average hotel in average location with friendly service. 3 Stars for me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanskie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
chanskie,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Ben J
IHG Care
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

Overall a pleasant stay for three nights. The usual problem with the room in an intercontinenatl in that it wasn't serviced properly before moving in. Previous guest hair in the bed ' however this was rectified immediately.
Special mention to Honda in the Club lounge who was charming and so very helpful, naturally pleasant. The club lounge was refreshing with excellent buffet breakfast and calm charmful ambience. The staff all very young were all pleasant and helpful. The English although not fantastic was good enough for us to get by and also better than our Japanese.
All in all I would recommend this as a good option and is close to some interesting parts of Tokyo.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LynneK4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Hotel is somewhat aged, and looking slightly tired. English literacy of the staff were average.

What makes this hotel a gem is the location to Hamamasutcho Stn which provides great rail connectivity throughout Tokyo.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
singapore
Reviewed 3 April 2012

To put my review in context, I am a Royal Ambassador, and regularly stay often and many IC Hotels (my favorite chain) around the world. The bottom line is that two circles is as much as they deserve. The four circles average rating they have is MUCH too high given my experience.

The ambiance at the hotel is lethargic. They need a serious wake-up call. I realize that none of the specific issues I list are a very big deal, but the cumulative feeling was that this was by no means a top notch IC-level hotel.

- The person staffing the concierge desk in the morning had exceptionally poor command of English (the only words she said, in fact, were: yes, no, and 'so sorry'. She could not offer any help or advice (we asked very simple questions-- how to get a couple of central places we wanted to visit). To try and answer our question on how to find the Ginza distrcit, she took out an iPad and started fiddling with it. After 3 minutes of this, we gave up. We had to ask for a map several times before she understood.
- We left our room around 9Am and came back around 13:30 and it had still not been cleaned. I called the front desk (from the corridor phone not from the room since there was no guidance on how to call hotel functions in the room), and was told that I would need to wait at least an hour to have my room cleaned (after waiting for a good 2.5 minutes for someone to pick up the phone at the front desk).
- I needed to buy something (rather urgently) at a 7-11, and asked the person at the front desk where I could find the closest one. He told me there were none anywhere nearby, only a Family Mart (which I knew does not carry the item I was looking for). This seemed odd, so I asked if he was sure, but when he said that he was I accepted the answer and troubled a friend living elsewhere in Tokyo to buy it for me. I later took a taxi somewhere and sure enough within a 5 minute walk from the hotel I saw a 7-11 store...
- Unlike most IC hotels, this one does not allow checking in at the lounge.
- The breakfast offering at the lounge is one of the least exciting I have seen. And when I came to eat today, the few staff on hand were apparently overwhelmed. The few food dishes offered were virtually empty more often than not.
- Snacks are supposed to be served 17-19 at the lounge. I came for a snack at 18:55 and they had already cleared everything, and did not even offer anything when I asked. Simply said "sorry; too late."
- I came to work at the lounge around noon. The only person sitting there held an exceptionally loud conversation with one of the staff. I politely asked them to speak more softly as I was trying to concentrate. They indeed lowered the volume briefly, but within about two minutes they were back to their loud conversation.

There were quite a few other incidents of this type. As I said above, none of these were terrible in and of itself, but altogether, this was not a good experience at all.

They need a management shakeup at this hotel.

Room Tip: The one saving grace of this hotel is the harbor view. Make sure you get a room with this view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank heshnosaff
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
heshnosaff,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J