“Quiet elegance”
Review of Hotel Okura Tokyo

Hotel Okura Tokyo
Ranked #8 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed 20 February 2014

They are friends who consider this hotel old-fashioned and boring. I put that down to ignorance of Japanese aesthetics, tradition and taste. As I am an admirer of the pared-down elegance and refinement which is so quintessentially Japanese, I consider the hotel one of the few Tokyo hotels still preserving and defending this tradition. It is an honourable and gallant effort to be supported.
I first stayed for a month in this hotel some 35 years ago, and each return has been a source of pleasure. My latest return last month, January 2014, was no exception. My weeklong stay allowed me to appreciate it even more, and to eat my way through its various restaurants. While not top-ranked, those restaurants offered excellent fare, from the sushi bar to the cafe-restaurant to its Highlander bar and teppanyaki cuisine. Having so many meals in the restaurants made the hotel even more of a temporary home for me, as though I was simp[ly eating in my own dining room.
It is a source of marvel to me that in an age where almost all 5-star hotels turn their lobbies into money-making tea-lounges ( neglecting, in the process, the in-house guests' need of a comfortable armchair in the public space ), the Okura has maintained its two spacious lobbies as oases of calm and comfort for the in-house guests and their friends. This represents a loss of revenue for the hotel, so kudos to the owneres and managers for respecting tradition and safeguarding the distinctive zen-like tranquillity of its open, public spaces.
My two suggestions are that it provide a second armchair in the room and offer a choice of pillows, including down ones.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 5_starhotellover88
Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I liked the common areas, and the feeling that this was a special hotel, not just another business hotel. Service was good. But the room was really nothing special, and the general feeling was that it was jaded, and a bit over the hill. The breakfast was chaotic, with long waiting times.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chrisskou
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Somehow we thought this place was a boutique hotel that was really close to the heart of Roppongi. Okay, so we got that wrong. The place is vast, so vast, it probably needs it's own postcode. We stayed in the South Wing, which is a significant way from the main building, so after arriving at the main entrance, there was a fair walk from there to our room. Nothing to complain about the room. Spacious, with a large bed and clean bathroom and plenty of amenities, though we did find it impossible to turn the air conditioning down to any form of cooling (even though it was winter, we preferred a cool room). The walls between the rooms are pretty thin, so we were able to hear some of the activities of other guests in adjoining rooms... We ate at one of the restaurants, Yamazato, one night, and have written a review separately, as we were not impressed. Breakfast wasn't included, so we did room service one morning, then the buffet in Camellia for the remainder. Both a decent spread, but of course, not cheap. The hotel was much further away from the Roppongi area than we expected, and there really wasn't much in the way of interesting cafés or restaurants nearby that we could find, so if we return, we'll be looking to stay somewhere smaller and closer to local amenities.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kateandross
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my time here. I had previously stayed in a more modern hotel in Tokyo, so the change was refreshing. The location of the hotel was good for getting to the official Japanese government areas and to visit Roppungi afterwards. The house bar was expensive, but very well stocked and quite nice. My drinks were strong but very tasty. I had a traditional working breakfast in one of the on site restaurants, I was glad I ordered the rice instead of the porridge, but quite happy overall with the entree I had. My room was nice, it overlooked the garden and was large (by Tokyo standards). Service was good, and although the bellmans English was not particularly good, we were well taken care of. I would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel is fantastic. As per the usual exceptional Japanese service this hotel still stands above all the the big chains and brands around Tokyo when it comes to service (This has to be the benchmark for anyone aspiring to understand 5 star service). This hotel has a charm which is exceptional and unique. The decor remains as per its staring role in a past Bond movie (1967) do not be put off the decor as it is dated but immaculate giving the rooms a retro charm. Great place to base yourself to explore or do business in Tokyo

Treat yourself to a special malt and cigar in the Highlander bar: remember you can smoke in Tokyo bars.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel is centrally located...has a huge lobby (dated but maintained)...staff was courteous...the hotel had just one person at the conceirge duty at any time..so had to wait a lot for my turn...the rooms were cosy and clean...the breakfast a little small but was lively..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rachit840
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It's a very nice hotel with great service. The staff are exceptionally polite. The only downside is that it's fairly expensive. It you want something nice, want to relax, and have plenty of money, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo
#3 of 87 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Okura Tokyo? Share your experiences!