“Fantastic view but not location”

Hilton Tokyo Odaiba
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel lobby is impressive. The first thing you notice is the awesome view behind the check-in area. Service is the typical gracious Japanese hospitality and courtesy. We had a room with a fantastic view of the Rainbow Bridge, the bay, and the city skyline; same as the check-in area. There is a lanai where you can go out and take in the beautiful view. The bathroom has the usual amenities for a five star hotel in Tokyo. Although the hotel is located next to shopping areas and Fuji television studio, I find the location not convenient especially if you want to visit other areas of Tokyo other than Disneyland. The unmanned train that services the Odaiba area is conveniently nearby, but not cheap. And still takes a good fifteen minutes to a major JR station. However, a less expensive alternative but not necessarily faster, there is a bus from the hotel to Shinagawa JR station. For me, one night stay is enough.

Room Tip: Definitely a room with a view of the bridge and bay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank going_there_now

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful place, but translation was harder than we expected. The pool costs money to go to and so does the wifi, which was a major disappointment. You'd think those services would be free in this day and age. Transportation service was close, which made it easy to travel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSiegelin
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The room size was great- big room with a sitting area at and good layout. The room we received seemed like the lower end of our category- we had an ocean view room and we got a partially obstructed view and we were looking out over the lower roof which also obstructed the view. When we arrived we received a cute package of a kid robe, toothbrush and slippers which was great but then the cleaner took the robe away on our first day there. The hotel itself is gorgeous and everything is clean and sparkling. The location is interesting but not a negative- very close to many enormously Japanese style mall/entertainment sites and lots to do at the end of the day for kids. We would go out for the Day and return to the hotel at 4pm then go to one of the malls to play video games or go to Legoland or get a snack before dinner. It worked out well. The negatives about this hotel were that the staff English was not very good. They're seemed to cater more to japanese tourists. One morning, I waited twenty minutes for the concierge to appear and when he did, he could barely speak English, and wasn't able to understand my questions let alone answer them. Mostly they just handed you a map and smiled. The restaurants on site seemed overpriced and we ended up just eating one breakfast in the hotel. All in all it was a fine hotel and very comfortable but probably overpriced and perhaps not the best place for a family that has never ever been to japan and needed a little concierge support.

Room Tip: Higher floor is probably superior. We stayed on the fifth floor and would have liked higher up.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Alissa H
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We are just about to finish our 10 day trip in Japan. This was half business (presentation at a conference in Kyoto and at a research institute in Tokyo) and half family trip (since this was my first time in Japan I brought my wife and my 12 year old daughter with me). First we spent 3 days at Hotel Nikko Tokyo followed by 4 nights at Hearton Hotel Kyoto (which I have just reviewed) and another 2 days at Nikko. Needless to say, I found Nikko on Tripadvisor and I was not disappointed. The more time we spent at Nikko the more we loved it. The hotel is a bit far away from the hustle and bustle of central Tokio. It is in a newly developed area called Daiba and is surrounded by architechturally interesting modern buildings, shopping malls, jogging tracks etc. Getting to the city center (e.g the Ginza district was very simple. The subway (or the special one rail train to be more precise) stops right in front of the hotel. The line is called Yurikamome line and it is only 6 stops till the endstation (Shimbashi) which is in walking distance from Ginza). Upon arrival in the hotel we saw the nice and spacious hall where we had to spend 2 hours till checkin. Checkin time is 3 pm (checkout is till 12) and our room was ready by 2 p.m. The two rooms that we stayed first and last were not exactly the same. Both were quite big (especially to Japanese standards) and both had a balcony overlooking the bay with the rainbow bridge and Tokyo tower. The view is very nice at daytime but simply jawdropping at night. We simply couldn't stop taking pictures from the balcony. The main difference between the 2 rooms we were given was that in the latter one (5th floor) there was an inner window between the bathroom and the room so one can enjoy a glass of champagne sitting in the bathtub while looking at the breathtaking night view of the bay. The breakfeast in the Ocean Dining restaurant (3rd floor with a view on the bay) was excellent with a wide variety of things to choose from ranging from grilled salmon to pencakes and different kinds of fresh fruit. It is mostly crowded so people often had to wait 10-15 min to get seated. The other restaurant on the 2nd floor offers a similar but somewhat limited selection of food and service is not as good as in Ocean Dining. The staff is extremely polite and helpful. They speak good English (good enough for us non-native English speaking folks). Our only negative (or simply strange?) experience at Nikko was in the spa were my daughter (12 year) was not allowed to enter because only people older than 18 (????!!!!????) can enter. Ever since she turned 4 or 5 we had no problem taking her to any swimming pool or spa so this might be so e kind of a misterious policy the hotel has in place. The next day my wife decided to try the pool anyway but to her greatest surprise the pool was filled with warm water so she couldn't swim.
Apart from this, our stay at Nikko was quite memorable and I can only recommend it to anybody travelling to Tokyo either for business or for leasure.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TheClintons
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I will definitely return to this hotel. Their services are perfect and I love their attention to details.
We had a room with balcony which oversee the bridge and the view of Tokyo from Diaba.
There is a shopping mall within 2 minutes walk, with a variety of different restaurants and shops.
The location is quite convenience, only 20 minutes ride from Tokyo Station on the new transit rail line and only 2 minutes walk from the Diaba Station.
The only problem we had was there is no 7/11 around or any other convenience shops around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cil106
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I will defiantely comeback here with my kids.
The hotel is a must stay only bcs of its spa. Top!!!
I got a room facing the Rainbow bridge and Tokyo Tower.
The bed and pillow frankly sucked but hey, I love the area of the hotel,
the Spa, Love the lobby. So fine, I sleep bad, but when im awake Im pleased.
This hotel is a must for those bringing kids. Daiba area is very children friendsly with so many things to do for kids.

For those who likes outdoors this is the most perfect hotel in Tokyo Area IMO.
Well may be expect Peninsula by the Tokyo Imperial Palace. You can easily run in the park by the sea. I will come back. Frankly for a five star hotel its very well priced.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SAPOID
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Date: Feb 2014
Price: $250-450
Room: Ocean View 10th floor

This is the second time we stayed in Nikko Tokyo. The first time was last year when our friend recommended the place. This time we stayed right after Chinese Newyear. The place was packed, many Chinese and Korean tours, unlike the last time we stayed where the place was like half full and mostly Japanese. The last time was a much nicer experience.

--Good-- I felt the front service improved slightly. There put more staff to take care of our luggage, and we did not have to wait long for check-in. Most of the time we were put seated in the waiting area, rather than standing at the desk doing nothing. It is a nice simple touch that I think other hotels should follow.

--Bad-- The way they attract much more customers profit them well, but not so much for us. The overall quality of service dropped. The rooms were not as clean as the last time we stayed.
We stayed for 4 nights. The first night we were charged $450, almost twice the price of other nights. I understand that hotel has low and high season, some days they want to charge more, but 2 times the price was a tat too much.
The reservation was made a month in advance, and I requested the same rooms that we stayed the last time. While they didn't promise us the rooms, they could have arranged us better rooms. We stayed in 3 rooms that were put randomly separately away from one another. Most of our requests were ignored completely. I understand that it was they busy time, but a month in advance should be more than plenty to prepare.
We tried one of the restaurant, Taronga. It was not good. They call themselves Taronga Grill&Wine. The steaks were bad, they hardly had any knowledge of wine. We asked for Bordeaux glass. They said they had only 5... a wine restaurant, has 5 Bordeaux glass? The service was very bad. It was like they were forced to work there. There were about 7 staff, only one of them was decent.

--Conclusion--
We will likely return to Hotel Nikko Tokyo again. But I will be more careful of when to stay. A high season time should be avoided. $250 is a fair deal, $450 is not.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank yensama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Grand Nikko Tokyo Daiba
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 116 in Minato
InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay

Been to Hilton Tokyo Odaiba? Share your experiences!