“Nice or just too much raw fish?”
Review of Sushi Bar Yasuda

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Gothenburg
“Nice or just too much raw fish?”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was my first experience in a “real” suchi bar in Japan. I have had various kinds of suchi before, but never a variety like this and never with so many different kinds of fish (or something resembling fish). My inexperience with this kind of suchi makes it difficult for me to really say whether it was a nice experience or just too much raw fish. What I can say though is that it was great watching the chef make and serve the pieces and that everything was fresh (or according to the chef 2-3 days old) and looked great.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank GothenburgProfessor

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“A Master of Sushi and incredible experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Sushi Yasuda had been a VERY famous sushi spot in NYC for over 15 years. Recently, the sushi master himself Yasuda, left to open his own small and very interactive sushi spot in Tokyo. This is great for any traveling and english speaking sushi fanatics. Sushi is top notch, he knows and explains so much about the fish and you feel comfortable. It is expensive, but for a splurge sushi dinner in Tokyo, this is one of the most bang for your buck spots. Many of my food blogging Tokyo friends also agree on this point. If you want incredible service, a man dedicated to his craft, delicious sushi, and someone who speaks english to take you through your sushi splurge in Japan, Yasuda is the man. Loved it.

• Visited April 2014
SF
“It doesn't get any better than this.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I'll keep it brief, I've eaten at many of the "best" sushi restaurants in the world and know personally many of the acclaimed chefs.

Yasuda is a master, at or exceeding the level of Mori, Hide, Nobu, and even chef Nozawa san.

If you're a sushi fan, and visiting, this is a must. As it says in the review title, it doesn't get any better than this. Actually a bargain for the price, and you don't get rushed through your meal as at certain other Michelin lauded spots in Tokyo.

(Yasuda san spent many years honing his craft in NYC; those who don't appreciate Sushi Bar Yasuda are generally not familiar with the influence the great sushi chefs of the United States have brought to the art.)

• Visited March 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Must Go!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

If you are lucky enough to get a reservation here - stop reading this and confirm the reservation already and go - you will be very happy you did so. My wife and I were in Japan for two weeks and it was one of the best meals we had. We ate at several places with Michelin stars and the overall experience here was one of the best we had.
Master Yasuda is awesome - he is part-comedian, part sushi-chef and the overall experience is well worth it. Watching his artful hand movements from the counter was really fun.

After we got through the tasting course, we went back and tried some different varieties of things that we really liked from the tasting course. We tried different varieties of urchin and different fattiness levels of otoro.

Yasuda will tell you all about his techniques, sources of fish etc, all the while keeping the entire counter cracking up as he makes jokes about everything. Consider yourself lucky if you can get in this place and go!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Plings
Westchester, New York, United States
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was the best sushi meal during my entire trip, and maybe my entire sushi life. The location is a bit out of the tourist area, but well worth the commute, since the prices are very fair. As noted on other reviews, Chef Yasuda is very friendly and since we were able to give immediate feedback, my family and I got the most incredible combination of sushi. He was able to cater to some of my children's preferences without hindering his assortment. His friendliness made the experience most enjoyable. The personal attention from this acclaimed sushi chef was special. As he states, this is a sushi bar for foreigners. If I lived in Japan, I would go there exclusively for sushi!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Lai Y

Been to Sushi Bar Yasuda? Share your experiences!