“Excellent 5 star stay”
Review of Conrad Tokyo

Conrad Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 116 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Hotel is fairly new and very well maintained. Building is virtually right above the Oedo Line subway, so convenient to that line, and a short walk to many other lines at Shimbashi station. Shiodome area is very nice, modern, and new, though not really "happening". It is however, a short walk to Tsukiji for excellent quality and relatively cheap sushi, a leisurely stroll to Ginza or Yurakucho, and has a stop on the Yurikamonme, which will take you to Odaiba, for shopping or the big Oedo Monogatari onsen.

Enter at the lower lobby on ground level and then need to take elevators to upper lobby on the 28th floor. Overall design is modern and contemporary. Service is excellent overall, though not all the staff speak English very well... so it helps if you can speak a little bit of Japanese.

There are several restaurants, though all are a little bit expensive (dinner sets are around US$100+ or so per person, excluding alcohol), but that is par for nicer Japanese restaurants. The lobby lounge is a bit of a hotspot and popular meeting place.

The pool, gym, and spa on the 29th floor is well equiped. Pool is probably about 25 meters long, with a nice view over the area. Spa/locker room includes sauna, steam room, as well as a few mini-whirlpool tubs (though not onsen).

Rooms are very spacious. Bay view is much better and more open than city view, which is rather confined/enclosed by the neighboring buildings. The window spans the entire exterior wall, and there is a large full length sofa. Large LCD TV is of good quality, but very limited foreign programming. Aside from pay movies, there were only 2 foreign channels (both English language), BBC and CNN. They didn't even have CNBC. Bed is very comfortable, and there is a large round table (like a dinette table), but the chair is a bit too low, though good for lounging, but not good for sitting to do work. Furnishings overall are very contemporary classy and well maintained.

The bathroom is also very large and clean with marble walls and floors, separate tub and shower stall. Toilet is typical Japanese style Toto brand with the fancy seat including all the functions. Double vessel-style sinks, but they are shallow, so water splashes everywhere. There is a slightly raised part of the floor near the tub, which is very annoying because I kept banging my toes into it, since you don't really notice that it is actually raised. Toiletries are decent, Acca Pacca brand, but towels are a litlte thin.

My only complaint is with the internet service. I stayed for a week, but the 1st 2 days there were many problems with the internet connection. On the 2nd day, the internet did not work at all, and I informed the staff about this at midnight. They said they would send a technician up in 15 minutes. I waited 40 minutes, no one came... I called down, and they said they would be there soon, like another 10 minutes, but since it was late and I wanted to sleep, I told them to forget it for today. However, I was irked that I waited so long, and they did not call up or apologize for the long delay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank maptraveler

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Perhaps the nicest hotel I've had the pleasure to stay in. With the insane expense comes service that is second-to-none and a beautiful, spacious room. I would stay here again in an instant - if only the cost were more affordable. Highly recommended if you want a first-class stay in Tokyo.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank prkittysd
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Service was amazing. Example:
After a long day of walking around tokyo, i liked to come back to the hotel, pour a glass of scotch (on ice) and sit in the tub. The first night i called and asked how to get ice and they said "no ice machine, we'll bring some up for you" and it came in about 3 minutes. The next night, i called again and it came up right away. After that, every night i got back to the room, they had already brought ice without me calling. I found that very impressive.

The rooms are huge (for tokyo) and beautiful. Great views, As others have said, the bay view is stunning, the city view is just of buildings, but still not bad. The bar is very nice (they even charge a cover for non hotel guests on fri/sat) as theres an amazing view, but drinks are rather expensive. A beer is 1300 yen (approx 13 dollars). The cocktails are some of the best i've ever had, but about 2000 yen each.

The location is both good and bad. The good is you can walk to the fish market in about 10 minutes and the JR yamanote line (which does a loop around tokyo) is only about a 10 minute walk (use the undeground walkway, it took me about 3 days to figure out thats the easy way to get there, not on the sky-sidewalk things that are outside). The bad is the immediate are is a lot of office buildings, a not a lot to do right outside the hotel.

I spoke with some people who live in Tokyo and they all said that this is in the running for nicest hotel in Tokyo, along with Park Hyatt. I would agree. 5* all the way. It is quite expensive, however. I used points, tho, which seemed like a really good deal, especially compared to other hotels around the world in the same point category (even the hilton tokyo, which is the same number of points, but not nearly as nice).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank luvheartsbones
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I have stopped writting reviews unless the hotel is clearly awesome or really bad. This was one of the best hotels we ever stayed at. Some points worth mentoning:

1. Great location - 10-15 min walk to/from Ginza; 1,250 Yen cab ride to Tokyo station (Bullet train to Kyoto or other places) or Roppongi (night life and nice to walk around).

2. Awesome rooms - Very spacious for any expensive city and especially for Tokyo. Try to book the garden/bay view room. We stayed in this and before this a city view which faced another sky scrapper accross the street and did not have much of a view (still a nice room but the bay view rooms have fantastic views);

3. Executive lounge - If you are Gold or Diamon on Hilton, it is free (not sure if you can pay more and book a rate with access). Fantastic - Full American BF, Afternoon tea (3-5 PM), evening drinks (6 to 8 PM) with light fare and beverages from 6 AM to 10 PM. The best executive lounge i have been to.

4. Concierge - Excellent recommendation and took care of dining reservations. Upon check-in provided us a package with reservations, brochure of each restaurant, map to each restaurant to be provided to taxi driver, several cards for hotel to be provided to taxi drivers to come back to the hotel (as it is not the best known hotel)

5. China Blue restaurant - We had a dinner here. 2 Adults with beer was 20K yen. So worth it.....one of our best meals in Japan (food, quality, service, ambience etc.)

6. In the previous review some one mentioned about the Conrad teddy - We had the same issue - I called to ask for more for my one year old. In the conversation, I was told they provide one per person (kept on the bed) when you check-in. They asked how many of us were there and how many were on the bed. They apologized that they hadn't kept enough and immediately sent more - my daughter really liked them.

7. In general, we found the service to be very warm and fantastic.

8. Pool - Beautiful pool for doing laps. They do have certain policies about not allowing kids under certain age (i think it was 5 Yrs) and times for kids older than that. This may seem unfair to those with kids but lot of the people staying here did not seem to be with kids and I am sure they appreciate the policy (the pool is long but narrow).

9. The hotel can seem expensive but make sure you try to get a corporate rate and factor in the cost savings from free full BF and evening drinks as well as bottled water (if you get access to Executive lounge), great location (see above) etc. To us that easily saved US$100 at least each day and likely more.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank bayareaSanJose
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We had booked into Conrad Tokyo during our August trip : -

INCIDENT 1
On the third day of our arrival, my 2 year old daughter fell in the room due to a poorly constructed sofa chair and slashed her lower lips open with 2 deep gashes. When I called the Star Service line for a doctor, a nurse whom was unable to speak English was despatched, 15 mins later. The nurse was incompetent. She proceeded to use a huge amount of 70 alcoholic (isopropyl alcohol; read TOXICOLOGY in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol) near the mouth in which I reminded her not to get any in the mouth as it was not for consumption but for cleaning exterior wounds. She did not listen & ignored me, I had to manually stop her. Then she placed a plaster on my daughter's gashes but because it was not positioned correctly she tore it off and replasted it again. TWICE!! My daughter's wounds were torn opened & blood gushed out. She was screaming. An English speaking Japanese lady staff then came by. I thought initially she was to help translate but turned out she was more concerned with whether my daughter's blood had soiled the sheets or anything was dirtied, or soiled. Not really that bothered nor concered with my daugther's situation but just constantly on some sort of walkie talkie/mobile to someone else. I requested for an English speaking Paediatrician, without much thought she "recommends" me a hospital to which upon further probe by myself revealed itself to be some government type Japanese hospital!! So I requested again that if there is an English speaking hospital or doctor whom we can see. In a couldnt-care-less manner she then says to try Roppongi Clinic as "we send everyone there & they can speak English"! Confused and worried sick, I asked if she could follow us there to which the retort was "NO". There was also no follow up on how my daughter was doing after the incident except for once when she came back later that day to give us more towels so "you wont soiled the sheets with blood".

INCIDENT 2
A few days later when we requested from them for another Conrad teddy, the staff tells us to buy it from the Shop downstairs as they sell it and they had already given us on the first day. In fact, there was only 1 teddy they'd given us on the first day (we had to request for it, there was none on the bed) and my daughter had only wanted to get another one for play with the other teddy. It came across as insensitive & inflexible.

INCIDENT 3
Before our arrival we'd explained our daughter would like to use the pool perhaps once or twice during our trip, and after many discusssions & callbacks, they said okay but only on certain times as they'd like to preserve the serenity for their corporate guests. Frankly, a 2 yr old cant swim and at most was going to dip in pool, at best for 10-15 mins but they were still adament that outside those times were not possible as well as if some other guest came into the pool, we had to leave IMMEDIATELY. It was not like we werent paying guests. Why do we have to feel as if we must "sneak around"?

INCIDENT 4
On the second day of our arrival, we'd gone to check the pool out. I had my daughter with me. The 2 girls that tended the entrance booth, in particular one of them, did not allow me to bring my daughter in. Despite my having said I was only taking a look & I was carrying her. After 5-8 mins of "debate", I decided to leave my little one at the entrance desk reluctuantly to have a quick peek at the pool ( I just wanted to see how deep it was and access suitability for swim ). Bearing in mind, I'd just given up & relented to the unreasonable request of not bringing my 2 yr old & leaving her with a stranger, I was brought NOT to the pool but the gym by one of the girls! I had not known that until she opened the door and told me, you can look at the pool from the gym! It was ridiculous as the view was slanted and I cant see the depth & pool properly from where I was. But I did notice there was NO ONE in the pool and only 1 other person working out in the gym. So why? Why was it such an impossibility to carry my daughter in with me as I have a quick look at the pool? Once again, I am unsure if it was a case of being a stickier to the rules, regardless or just pure couldnt-be-bothered attitude.

INCIDENT 5
On 2 of the days, just before we left in the morning, we called up the Star Service line for the room to be made up and when we did return late in the evening it was not done up yet. This was despite us having turned on the Make Up Room button in addition to ringing up the Star Service line as a reminder. This resulted in a lot of hassle and inconvenience of having to wait for the room to be made up and toilet/bathroom cleaned out as well as a change of towels, before I could put my daughter to bed.

All in all, in our opinion, the service level has really been lacking and mostly disingenuous & insincere. A robot like attitude and blind stickler to the rules the staff do not come across as empowered individuals whom are dedicated to service at all. We have since written in to the Hilton group with regards to Incident 1 but to date (its been nearly 2 months) there has been no response nor revert. Conrad Tokyo seemed to be just hype and hardware. No heart nor service. Will never return again. A total disappointment!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
24  Thank Elinwokk
Reviewed 19 September 2009

This is a really nice hotel with excellent service. Very quiet rooms. If you have the choice, go for a bay side room which looks out towards the Rainbow Bridge. Its not cheap to say the least but if you want cheapness its best to stay away from Tokyo altogether.

Walking distance from Ginza, but not the easiest hotel to find on foot

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I am a business traveler and have stayed many different hotels in the world.
Even in Tokyo, I had a chance to stay many different hotels but I must say Conrad is my favorite by far. This hotel makes you feel like you are a star.

Room is very spacious and very modern, if you can, ask for the room on bay side view, the view from there is simply amazing. Tokyo intercontinental Tokyo bay hotel also has nice similar view but from Conrad, it's higher so you get to see bigger picture of the Tokyo bay. I also have stayed city side rooms but I end up loving also the views from there, mainly offices buildings but still to me it was amazing to see all the offices lights and view of ginza.

The location is not the best especially if you are new to Tokyo but still, metro is vert near the hotel and JR train station is about 7 minutes walk. If you take the expensive Tokyo taxi, it cost about 1400 yen to Ginza which isn't too bad.

Overall, if you can afford it, stay at Conrad!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank 3rd_trip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Palace Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 75 in Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo

Been to Conrad Tokyo? Share your experiences!