“Here's why we chose the Ritz, and why you should too!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Phoenix, Arizona
“Here's why we chose the Ritz, and why you should too!”
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I've traveled a bit, and almost entirely for leisure - to around 40 countries in total. For my 40th birthday, I chose two weeks in Japan, and chose to start the trip in Tokyo. All of my friends said they would never, ever, ever go to Japan for the rest of their lives, after watching the horrors in the movie "The Cove", and urged me to not go to Japan. It wasn't the issues of radiation that came up in conversations, it was always the movie "The Cove"... in all honesty, I agree... I don't think we should support a culture that kills dolphins, feeds their people mercury-laden foods, kills whales, eats shark fins, or eats octopus (hey, they're one of the most intelligent animals on earth).... then again, we have a lot of things to be ashamed of in America.

I was working with about 5 top-end hotels to see who could come up with the best combination of room type, amenities, and price. Ritz Carlton Tokyo ended up being my #1 choice, as they promised a room upgrade, birthday amenity, and I liked the fact that it was on top of the tallest building in Tokyo.

So, for these reasons choose the Ritz Carlton Tokyo.

1) The View. When you travel, you should try to choose a hotel with a view from your room that is unmatched anywhere. Whether it is a beach view, a view of a lake, a mountain, or a skyline, you always deserve an amazing view.

2) My previous experience at the Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur, where I was upgraded to a club level room, had a butler that drew scented and salted baths for me, had breakfast in my room, two massages in the spa, and all of my laundry was magically washed and ironed each day - all of these things at no extra charge, so I was expecting these types of surprises at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo.

When we arrived at 6am, the reception was amazing - staff members with perfect English skills, and we were checked into a room on the 47th floor, taller than any building in Tokyo, and had an amazing view. We obviously arrived early, so they put us into a temporary room, with two double beds, and the room was very nice. We were told that our upgraded room would be available at 2pm... so we went to sleep.

When we moved rooms, we were "upgraded" into a smaller room! It was on a higher floor, but it really was not an upgraded room. Still, the view was fantastic. My birthday amenity was 4 chocolates on a plate, which were delicious, but it was a pretty standard offering for a hotel room costing almost $600/night. I would have expected something more along the lines of the Kuala Lumpur: upgrade to a suite, club level, baths, massage. I'm guessing that the suite costs the hotel $0, the massages about $20, etc... so in the grand scheme of things, offering a lot of freebies to a $600 per night room is a great way to retain guest loyalty.

The breakfast each morning was very good, although there was no music at any one of our 3 breakfasts... play some music on the speakers, or have a piano player, or something... but to have a quiet place while dining removes one of the 5 senses from your experience, and makes the restaurant seem like a school cafeteria instead of a luxury restaurant.

Still, this is probably the best choice of any hotel in Tokyo - while here for 4 days, I went to other hotels to check them out - the Peninsula was at first my #1 choice, but I am so glad that I did not stay there. The area around the Peninsula is boring, the views from the rooms cannot match the views from the Ritz Carlton, and the place seemed rushed and crowded with noisy people.

The pool area was fantastic, although the ceiling in the pool area should be painted with a dark blue sky with gold-leaf stars or something... currently it is just a white ceiling, and it could be so much more luxurious. We were a bit disappointed to learn that the steam room cost money to enter - I think it was around $60/person, which was ridiculous.

Here's the true reason for my 4-star rating instead of a 5-star rating: regardless of issues with power availability due to the earthquake, I was shocked to see that the energy this hotel wastes. Not one LED light bulb... not one! This is shameful. All of the bath amenities: bath gel, shampoo, conditioner still come in tiny bottles... this hotel most likely disposes of 500,000 tiny plastic bottles into landfills (or the ocean) each year, almost all still have chemicals in them. This chemical makes its way into the water supply, and back into human consumption. All hotels should use wall-mount product dispensers like those you see in a spa, no exceptions... it is the only way you can respect your country and your environment. The sheets are washed daily unless you place a card on the bed, this should be the opposite, where you only place a card on the bed if you want your sheets washed. How many of us have our sheets washed every day, it's a silly waste of resources. Same goes for daily vacuuming of rooms - a vacuum cleaner uses a lot of energy - and each time it is used, tiny particles of dust, and dead skin, and bacteria are released into the air to settle back down on your clean sheets, your clothes, your furniture, etc. Only vacuum on check-out! Finally, the water kettle was always plugged in - this is extremely wasteful, just one kettle can use $400 per year in electricity! Be better about energy, get wall mount dispensers, include international telephone calls for free (I see this at more hotels these days), and this review would have been 5 stars.

PS - The best concierge I've experienced in my life was Reika Ohsawa - she deserves gold keys, as she was the most polite concierge ever. She was warm, friendly, human, considerate, and always smiled. I will always associate Reika with Tokyo and Ritz Carlton. Thank you Reika! Mayako was also excellent - we only spoke to Mayako once, but spoke to Reika many, many times during our 4 days.

Again, if you're staying in Tokyo, stay at the Ritz Carlton for the views and the service.... just be sure to ask for upgrades... for the price, more should be included in the room, but the view is worth the price alone. And if you're considering other hotels, stop considering them... I looked at the other top-rated hotels and this is #1, again, for the view from the rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Just having three nights in Tokyo, we struggled for some time in deciding which part of the the city to stay in, let alone which hotel. We settled on the Ritz-Carlton because of the reviews here, and decided worry about the credit cards when we got home. Certainly at £400 per room per night, it is the most expensive hotel we have ever stayed in, probably by a factor of two...

So what do you get? First of all, don't be confused by any of the pictures of the outside of the building. The lobby is on the 43rd floor, and that is the lowest part of the hotel. Everything below you is office or other accommodation until you reach a shopping precinct on the ground floor.

We had booked a Club room, so we actually checked in ten floors above the lobby, and our room was one floor below this. The view as we woke on our first morning was simply amazing - a cloudless winter day, and Mt Fuji glimmering in the distance. As we were suffering jet lag, we watched every part of the sunrise, fascinated to see Tokyo reveal itself. The room itself was gorgeous - well-finished and spacious. Electric curtains and shutters - a first for me!

The advantage of the Club room was the Club Lounge. Here we had our evening meal and our breakfast at no additional cost. The food was nice, and there was as much fizzy white wine (probably not Champagne) and beer as you wanted in the evening, and the dishes were nicely presented. The Club suited the four of us very well - on the return leg of a three week holiday we weren't up to the challenge of researching a restaurant selection...

Staff were polite, even to the extent of politely ignoring us when we complained at the extra unjustified charges added to our bill. (We had two children with us, but they said we had only paid for one, whereas our booking entirely confirmed that we had been clear throughout. The hotel have continued to ignore us, but I am not going to be bitter about it.)

The concierge staff were most helpful on bookings, and the swimming and jacuzzi are amazing.

if you can afford it, stay here.

Room Tip: Tokyo food = expensive - consider Club instead...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 21 March 2011

As good a city hotel as you can find anywhere in the world, but you pay for this first class service. Spectacular rooms, excellent staff and impeccable service.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank SingaporeFox
San Jose
Reviewed 27 February 2011

This Ritz is what you would expect from a highly ranked hotel chain. Impeccable in every way. Great rooms, great food, fantastic service, and good location.

Location: A. Right in midtown Tokyo/Rippongi. Lot's a great restaurants and nightlife. Central to most of Tokyo. 15 minute Taxi to Tokyo Station, Ginza, Shinjuku, and most of the things you'll want to see in the city.

Rooms: A. Largest rooms in Tokyo. The building/hotel are relatively new (3 years old) so everything is in fantastic shape and working order. Wonderful beds. Great views - Unbelieveable views in fact. Large walk in shower with a multiple shower heads, nice tub, two sinks. Nice large flat screen TV and plenty of storage.

Staff: A. Hey, it's Tokyo so you never get bad service but this service was over the top. When leaving the gym they'd run to push the elevator button for me. Crazy great service

Gym: A. Best gym I've seen in Tokyo. By American standards probably a B but nice fabulous looking indoor pool (if you're a swimmer you'll want to bring your suit). Good equipment in working order. Wonderful to run on the 46th floor looking out over the city. Bottled water and towel upon entry and best of all - open 24 hours! Awesome!

Food: A(N/A) Didn't eat in the hotel but wonderful restaurants in the attached Galleria Mall and a Starbucks downstairs.

Value B: Expensive - fortunately for me I got a nice discount or this would be out of my price range.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank borad
Kruishoutem, Belgium
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I can highly recommend the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo. The hotel Lobby is on the 45th floor of the Midtown Tower and the hotel rooms go up to the top of the building that has 53 floors. Therefore the rooms are extremely quiet. Service is what you can expect from a Ritz! Just top!
The hotel is managed by a Frenchmen François Cnockaert, who is doing a wonderful job. He brings a marvelous mixture of European savoir-vivre and Japanese culture.
The rate is very reasonable to Tokyo standards and breakfast is included in my rate.
Definitely the place to go!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 2 January 2011

i stayed there only one night with my wife it is quite expensive even for ritz-carlton brand but it was the best hotel i ever stayed. recommend to anyone who have the budget.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank popoaroundtheworld
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Wow, what a beautiful hotel combined with unbelievable service. I wish we had more hotels like this back in the States. This hotel really defines 5 star. One additional note, if you have an American Express Centurion card, certainly book this hotel with that card. The card bumped me all the way up to a penthouse suite which was over 1000 sq/ft. That is an unbelievable room size in Tokyo. Bravo Ritz Carlton Tokyo.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo? Share your experiences!