“4.5 stars. Nice place to stay”

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 108 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
San Francisco, California
“4.5 stars. Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am rating this hotel as a 4 for a ritz carlton, 4.5 for overall hotels. My husband stayed here for 2 weeks on business while I flew out to visit him for 5 days. The location is in a happening side of town that is more known for its bar and club scene. It's also a bust city area that has mini-malls and restaurants nearby. The major shopping area, omotesando is about 1.5 miles walk. At $800+ per night, we expected nice quality and we found it. Below are my ratings:

Accommodations: nice accommodations. Not spectacular but nice. The decor didn't wow me, however the floor-to-ceiling windows in the lobby (on the 45th floor of bldg) and in the club lounge did show beautiful city views. You can even see mt Fuji when it's clear out. The beds in the room were comfortable and the toilet seats were heated. Loved that touch.

Club lounge- we had daily access to the club lounge which is where I ended up eating several times per day since I am vegetarian and I would have starved to death in Japan if it weren't for the club lounge. For breakfast, lunch and tea time they always had at least one item vegetarian. The breakfast choices were the best and I'm not a breakfast eater. They had an omelette station every morning, fresh breads, a Japanese station, salad and delicious whole and cut up fruit. The one (and major) disappointment during my stay was a very embarrassing one. One morning upon arriving for breakfast, I wore the ritz-carlton slippers to the lounge. Don't know what I was thinking by 1) wearing them there 2) not researching local custom as I always do before international trips. I was asked to leave (I guess I was considered to be contaminating the room with the slippers somehow, even though everyone wore shoes inside but it's not for me to argue) by the male concierge at the door. Then he quickly stated that I could stay but next time I couldn't wear the hotel slippers there. I decided to go back to my room to change my shoes. Anyhow, I'm not complaining about the custom, I just felt extremely uncomfortable in the club lounge for the remainder of my stay. I almost wish there was a sign at the front of the door which explained what the rules of the lounge were (for people like me that don't quite understand how flip flops are appropriate to wear inside but not slippers that cover your entire foot).

Restaurants: never went since there weren't vegetarian options that I could see

Valet: very polite and responsive to your needs
Concierge: very polite and responsive as well
Pool: we went almost every day to the pool and jacuzzi. Would have loved it if it were outdoors, however for an indoor pool it was great. The pool was heated to the right temperature, spa ware was served, and there were very few, if any, hotel patrons or members there. The hot tub was warm. Not too hot, but could have been a little hotter.

All in all,except for the embarrassment at the club lounge, it was a great stay. I do wish though that the note, were located in a different area like shinjuku or ometasando, however in terms of closeness to work it was a good choice for my husband.

Room Tip: Spend extra for the club lounge level to get access to the club lounge. Especially if you are vegeta...
2 Thank CMB-BOB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

What an amazing and luxurious relief after a long journey from the US and an unplanned stop in Tokyo due to an airline delay/cancellation!

This was by far the nicest hotel either my husband (world-wide corporate traveler) or I (travel agent) have ever stayed in. From the moment we stepped out of the cab to the moment we left, absolutely everything was taken care of for us and in the friendliest and most respectful fashion. Even arriving in our nice casual clothes made us feel far under-dressed for the high-end clientele this hotel caters to. It's located in the heart of Tokyo, and is just steps away from many of the conveniences of the city. Being that we are Platinum with Marriott, and were able to use points for our stay, we were given a beautiful city-view room that left no stone unturned. Everything from the lighting, to the blinds, were fully operable from built-in bedside controls. Slippers, robes, and a bathroom full of toiletries made the inconvenience of forgetting anything impossible!

Due to the time change and length of travel, when we arrived from the train in Narita, we were quite hungry. We ordered room service and had a lovely Japanese dinner delivered to our room quickly, even after midnight local time. The food was very tasty and the presentation was just fabulous. The staff worked extremely hard to make sure that everything was acceptable. We'd never experienced service like this in our life!

The only unfortunate comment I can share is that we didn't have nearly long enough time in the hotel to full experience all that it had to offer. If ever in Tokyo, we absolutely recommend the Ritz and will definitely return!

Room Tip: Be sure to enjoy the tea sampling in the room and request a room with a city view!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gjscraftygirl
Mannheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the RC Tokyo for 4 weeks and I have to say it was an amazing experience.
I love Tokyo and in combination with this hotel one great trip. The staff is very friendly and assists at every wish. The rooms a huge and the views even better. The location is great and with the subway and a marketplace directly connected to the hotel it's easy to explore the city or go for some good Japanese dinners.
Would go there again every minute.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but corner rooms are huge.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DonDerDiggler
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I love this hotel. The service is outstanding, the rooms are lovely, and the location - in Roppongi - is wonderful. I have stayed in many hotels that claim to be "5* luxury" hotels - this one truly is.

When I arrived, quite late at night, I was met in the lobby of the hotel. I had been checked in and was handed my key - further, the bellman was right there to help me with my luggage. My room was on the Concierge Level of the hotel. It was large, beautifully appointed, and you had the sense of peace and relaxation when you walked in. The linens and pillows are, I believe, Frette, the bathroom amenities are Asprey, the shower has a rainhead, there was a large flat screen TV, and a beautiful view of the Tokyo skyline. Everything is "done right" in this hotel. And, the staff speaks English very well.

Unlike many Ritz Carlton hotels, this one did grant me access to the Concierge Lounge, as a Platinum Marriott member. It, too, was lovely - with a view of Mt. Fuji. The food was good, but the service - again - was just outstanding and seemed so effortless. I had the sense that the staff in this hotel really wanted to help which is such a nice feeling for the guest.

The hotel is located in Roppongi so is close to shopping and restaurants.

The hotel has earned it's place on the Conde Nast Gold List!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Ritz during a recent jewelry exhibition . Everything is top notch of course being a Ritz establishment. The hotel is located on 45th floor in mid town district of Tokyo. There is a beautiful aroma when you enter the lobby and also on the upper floors. The room is very comfortable and the bathroom is vey spacious with Asprey toiletries, the only downside in the bathroom is that it doesn't have a lock.
The best part of the room is the fantastic view of Tokyo, but unfortunately we were bracing for a big typhoon and it was cloudy most of the time, nevertheless stunning,
The service is top notch and the breakfast spread was very good as well.
Overall a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed on the Club Level and while I expected good and attentive service, I was still positively amazed at the attention to detail. An example --I asked the concierge about getting bullet train tickets for Tokyo to Kyoto. Not only did he order them and have them delivered, he chose seats which would give us a view of Mt. Fuji. To a person, the staff was courteous and helpful, and the accommodations were top notch.

1 Thank trojanfamily
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Five stars doesn't do justice to this wonderful RC property situated in the Roppongi Hills area of Tokyo.

From the moment we entered the hotel, the staff was at our beckoning call. When we came up the elevator to check in, one of the associates was waiting for us with our itinerary for the week ahead in Tokyo. She also ensured there was no delay in the check in process and showed us immediately to our room.

We stayed in the Carlton Suite which was everything we could have hoped for and more. A beautifully laid out suite with sweeping views of the Tokyo skyline. The room was laid out perfectly with a separate living area to do work or relax on the couch. In the middle of the suite was the over the top (but elegant) bathroom that consisted of his and her sinks, an over-sized bath tub, a shower, and an extremely high tech toilet that had more bells and whistles than we knew what do with it!

In addition to the basics of a RC room they also had two gianormous flat screens, an ipod dock with an incredible sound system, electronic blinds and lighting system, a mini fridge, and other goodies that spoke to the luxury of this hotel.

The gym here is also worth highlighting. Many hotels purport to offer a full service gym but more times than not they simply don't measure up to a true fitness center. The gym at the RC Tokyo exceeded my expectations many times over; there is an abundance of workout machines. Further, the staff here goes out of their way to make sure you know how to use the equipment and to make you feel as comfortable as possible when working out.

Besides the beautiful spaces throughout the hotel (lobby, bar, club lounge, gym, spa) it should be noted that what separates this hotel from any other is the customer service. All of the employees at the RC Tokyo take incredible pride in what they do and it truly feels like it is their pleasure to make your stay as fantastic as possible. We can't thank them enough for making this a trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: The massages at the spa weren't the best we've had before. I'd suggest doing individual...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,606 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo? Share your experiences!