“Beautiful temple”
Review of Gotokuji Temple

Gotokuji Temple
Ranked #2 of 154 things to do in Setagaya
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I recently moved to Gotokuji (Setagaya) and I was unaware of this beautiful gem just two minutes walk from my flat. It is a bit out of the beaten tracks, bit if you have some spare time, I recommend it, highly!

3  Thank Gianni2014Thailand

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The temple is within 10 minutes walk of Gotokuji station, about 15 minutes by train from Shibuya. In front of the station exit is a statue of a Maneki-neko lucky cat. At the temple you can buy Maneki-neko lucky charms in various sizes. And when the lucky cat has made your wish come true you can bring it back to Gotokuji temple. There is a corner at the temple where people place their Maneki-neko charms after they have done their work. The temple grounds and buildings are very well maintained and there is also a small cemetery here. It is a nice place to visit any time of the year.

9  Thank DavidTokyo
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Well I have to say I like Maneki Neko and have read various stories of its origin over the years and all are so interesting and fun to read so a visit here was certainly on my list.

If you do not really have a high level of interest in Maneki Neko and don't have a lot of time visiting Japan this may not be worth your time.

From Asakusa this was a bit time consuming to reach and pretty complicated as well. Once you arrive there are no visible signs of what direction to go. This is not a really touristy area so come with a map of the area if you can.

The temple was pretty quiet but I went early in the morning. I saw only 2 other people. It was very well kept up. It featured a nice Pagoda, Lovely trees, Lanterns and a very cool Incense Burner as well but the Maneki Neko statues by the hundreds were the real stars. For me I enjoyed the journey and peace but I can see how others may think it is a waste as there is not a ton of things to see apart from the temple and statues.

So depending on your interests this will either be a fun adventure or a sad waste of time.

3  Thank K_Chan40
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Lovely grounds to chill out in, and a small cat temple for cat lovers. Very quiet and out the way, but if you are in the vicinity, worth a visit.

2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Gotokuji is located in the beautiful suburb of Setagaya in Tokyo's west. I live in the area, and happened upon it while I was on an afternoon walk - I had no idea about it before! It's beautifully kept with moss covered grounds, a peaceful forest, pagoda, temple, cemetery and of course, the lucky cats! I seriously haven't seen anything like it before - to see so many statues of the same thing in the same place was a bit creepy at first but after learning the story/history, I actually think it's really cool. I went in summer and saw loads of green maple trees, so I recommend going in autumn to see them all turn shades of red/orange!

3  Thank Summerdayz86