“Practically Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Practically Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I adored this hotel and would certainly use it again.

The location was quite good, with many restaurants and eateries nearby. It also had a lovely bookshop for me to pick up some Japanese books, along with a street lined with cherry blossom trees. The station is a three-minute walk away, which will take you straight to Shinjuku Station (this is the main station and on the Yamanote line, from here you can go anywhere). So I found I was able to easily go to most tourist destinations.

The staff were lovely! They were multi-lingual, with at least seven or eight languages being spoken in total by the various staff members, and they would willingly help out with any problem or question. They also would make conversation in a friendly manner, and one time - when the maids were cleaning my room, and I had an arm full of perishables - let me use their fridge. There is nothing they won't do to help you!

There are computers for rent and free wi-fi. You can use your own computer for free.

The cafe is spotlessly clean, with a huge amount of food to choose from. There is food from all over the country and the world, with the ability to suggest your own recipes for them to use. It is cheap and even the locals use the cafe often, so you are able to make many new friends and practise your Japanese skills with the locals. It is bright, airy, and colourful.

The cleanliness is perfect. The maids clean every day without fail and spend vast amounts of time on every room, meaning not one speck of dust is left standing. They are also very friendly, all of which - despite not having good English - will smile and try to greet you.

It's very secure. There are cameras on every floor, which are monitored by the staff in the reception, and keys are handed into reception before leaving (so no risk of losing keys or people making copies). Only registered guests are allowed into rooms, too.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

ありがとうござます、サクラホテル!あなたのホテルはとてもじょうずです!

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to offer better security.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Robin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Staying at SHH has been good value for money. Clean rooms, decent location and usually quiet. The staff is very helpful and patient. Naoto in particular was kind enought to assist me with some IT issues. Could not ask for more! Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for five nights. When we were choosing a place to stay for our trip, we didn't want a pricy hotel and we didn't want a hostel either. The Sakura Hotel Hatagaya was the PERFECT fit. While the rooms might be considered small, this encourages guests to get out of bed and explore the city.

It really is more than just a place to sleep, as they foster a sense of community amongst all the guests, and all the staff members are BEYOND helpful and friendly. While the hotel is not central, it is literally a couple steps away from the Hatagaya station, which is only two quick stops away from Shinjuku--allowing us to travel anywhere in the city.

Yes, the rooms are cozy, but for the price, they are absolutely perfect. I could not recommend this hotel more. Though we stayed less than a week, the Sakura Hotel Hatagaya felt like home after a couple of days. Each room has a great AC system and a small fridge to put your leftovers/waters inside.

For example, we wanted to check out the nightlife scene in Tokyo. We approached the concierge asking for advice on where to go, when to go, and what to wear. From his past experience in the city, and great English, we got all the answers we were looking for. The concierge provide us with a map, directions for transit, and the appropriate dress code for the club (AgeHa--highly recommend).

The 24 hour internet cafe has a fridge full of beer and assorted drinks. There is also a post office, and 24 hour "7/11" across the street (Family Mart). While we did not eat breakfast at the hotel, there are many food options in walking distance--no complaints.

WE LOVED IT HERE! Can't wait to come back :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chloe N
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you are looking for a cheap and clean,quiet hotel in Tokyo,i believe Sakura Hotel Hatagaya is one of best choices.We had a pleasant stay last month.We paid 70 US$/night for a tiny clean double room.We appreciate friendly and helpful staffs.They speak good English.Thank you for a nice stay.We will come back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

The room was always clean, the building was usually quiet at night, the staff were friendly and helpful, and it is only two quick stops away from Shinjuku. I really could not ask for more out, especially with the low nightly cost. It really helped make my first visit to Japan great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel is practically on top of a subway stop, a must in Tokyo (although that stop isn't exactly central). For a reasonable price, I got a comfortably sized private room and bathroom (which is my only travelling requirement). There's a cafe in the lobby that has good, reasonably priced food if you're looking to try 'world cuisine'.

But what really sells the hotel is the service. Every staff member I met was incredibly polite and friendly, willing to spend half an hour recommending the perfect ramen to order. I was there during a hotel-wide cooking class, and as I had a couple of hours free, I opted to participate. It was so much fun, meeting other travellers from around the world, as well as getting to know the staff better.

Overall: good location, great value for the money, and fantastic staff. I will definitely be staying here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Katemcc27
Hamamatsu, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I've stayed at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya a number of times, and I've always enjoyed the community atmosphere. They give you a friendly, back-packer's style stay but with the comfort of private room. Usually I'm there for a night or two, although I did stay for five nights one week when leaving Japan after a job ended. This time I was with my wife for an overnight stay before our flight out the next afternoon.

Sakura Hotel Hatagaya has the typical smallish rooms of a Tokyo business hotel, and the bathrooms are a bit cramped, especially the shower. We had a double corner room with a somewhat inconvenient column in the center we had to work around. On the other hand, the room itself was very clean, the bed quite comfortable and the hall very quiet and peaceful. I believe they've put down new carpet and refinished the walls since my last stay in May of 2012. We couldn't ask for a better experience with the desk and cleaning staff. Very friendly people and helpful.

If you're expecting something upscale, you're in the wrong place. Young groups, solo travelers and couples who want to ramble around Tokyo will probably have the best experience. Sakura Hotel aims to give you a pleasant base for exploring and socializing with other travelers at a wallet-friendly price and they do excel at that. While we were just there for the night, if you're really into meeting people you can hang out in the cafe downstairs and take part in all kinds of fun events. I'm not sure if they were having anything that particular weeknd, but I have been there for a musical performance and the Sakura hotels have seasonal parties as well. The Hatagaya location is just two stops from Shinjuku and from there you're linked into all the fun locations of high-energy Tokyo. Plus the neighborhood itself features plenty of cheap eating places.

Room Tip: The corner double had that funky column, but it couldn't be helped.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joelrbryan
サクラホテル幡ヶ谷, マネージャー at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for your nice review!
We also enjoy communicating and being friends with our guests.
It is our pleasure that you liked the atmosphere at our hotel.

We are sorry about the column in the room you stayed in. It is not that every room has a column.
As you mentioned, we have refurnished the carpet and wallpaper at the end of 2012.

Also thank you very much for speaking for us.
To be sure, we are not a gorgeous 5 star hotel.
But we are open for everyone in the world and aiming to help all the guest enjoy Tokyo in his/her own way.
We are aiming to be more than just a place to sleep.
We really appreciate your understanding and comments.

You are very welcome to come back and stay with us again.
We hope to see you in the near future.