“OK for Light Travelers”

Sakura Hotel Hatagaya
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 5 July 2014

If I were to use conventional hotel criteria, I would rate it 2 stars. I am trying to be generous by using hostel criteria. I noticed the hostel self-description only upon arrival, so the shortcomings made more sense.

My wife and I first stayed at a budget business hotel near the Ningrocho metro stations for 2 nights before moving to Sakura Hatagaya for additional 2 nights in Tokyo. Although the 2 places charged nearly the same price per night, the quality of accommodations were night and day. I'm not used to hostels, so I may be judging the Sakura Hatagaya too harshly. Again, my reference point is the fact that I paid the same price for a hostel room as a real hotel with new-looking furnishings located 2 blocks from a Metro station.

Location. Theoretically, it's 2 train stops from Shinjuku, but it involves additional cost and walking distance. The Keio New Line is neither part of the Tokyo Metro/Toei system nor the JR Rail system, so this fare is additional to any JR Rail Pass or Tokyo subway pass. We were lugging two large suitcases from the Shinjuku metro station to the Shinjuku Keio station, not realizing that the walking distance was considerable, especially when some stairs did not have escalator or elevator alternatives. While the hotel is a short distance from the Keio Hatagaya station, the hassle of getting to other parts of Tokyo was considerable.

Condition of facilities. The outdoor cafe seating had a nice feel, but the hotel lobby felt worn and outdated. It felt like time stopped in the 60's or 70's.The walls, furniture and carpeting all could use renovation and updating. The elevator was small, so often it was wall-to-wall with people. The staff, though, were friendly and helpful.

Condition of room. Our room was similarly worn and tired looking. Of the 3 places we stayed in Japan, our Sakura Hatagaya room was the smallest. Literally, we could not open our 2 suitcases on the floor at the same time. We learned to use the space under the bed to store our suitcases. The comforter did not have a separate quilt cover, so I did wonder how often the staff washed the comforters. The a/c was directed right at our faces while in bed, so there was an uncomfortable draft all night. I wish I had duct tape to secure a towel in front of the a/c vents to re-direct the air flow away from our faces. My absolute worst pet peeve was the shower curtain. It was so narrowly positioned that it was inevitable that it would adhere to my body while I was trying to soap up or rinse off. It reminded me of the old days of cruising when ships had tiny shower stalls with nylon curtains that would wrap themselves to one's body. It helps to open the shower curtain half-way when you're trying to soap up.

Breakfast. It's literally white sliced bread, sliced french bread, dinner rolls, soup/broth of the day, juice of the day, generic coffee and tea bags. Toasters were available for breads and rolls. We managed by supplementing our breakfasts with yogurts and fruits bought at nearby convenience stores and markets.

The Sakura provided a 24-hour lounge space (breakfast room) for those who want to surf the Internet or work at their laptops (given rooms have no desks). Outlets are available at a couple of tables.

In my opinion, I much prefer a budget business hotel rather than a hostel (given relatively the same cost). Ironically, it probably takes less time to get to Shijuku/Shibuya from a cross-town hotel near a Metro station than from the Sakura Hatagaya.

For me, the Sakura barely gets a 3-star (even for a hostel).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BosAnonymous

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya for a week whilst I was in Tokyo. Hotel was slightly out of the way in terms of travel, 3 min subway journey on Keio New Line to Shinjuku. Doesn't sound like much but when you're carrying a bag in 30 degree heat and 97% humidity that you're not used to, it's a struggle believe me! Also, your JR rail pass doesn't count on the Keio New Line, so you have to pay, which is annoying.

Most staff were polite but some seemed stand-offish. Room was very small but clean. Small size didn't bother me too much as I am a small person, but even I struggled to fit into the bathroom and shower! I thought "If I were tall I wouldn't be happy with this". WARNING: the rooms have VERY thins walls. Man next door to me sounded like he was sitting next to me I could hear his Skype conversation so clearly and he snored so loud I could feel it vibrating through the wall as well as the noise! A good hammer on the wall soon put an end to that!

Breakfast...hm. Disappointing. Now, I might be small but I like decent a breakfast. Especially in Japan as I was out every day in the heat walking from 8am to about 7pm at night, so I needed something to start me off in the mornings. Only breakfast provided is bread(and a toaster), tea/coffee, juice and soup. I kept a stash of fruit upstairs to munch on before I went out after breakfast. There is a Family Mart on the corner not a minute away from the hotel which is also handy after breakfast.

Overall, I don't think I will stay here again as I don't think it was good value for money. The room was small with very thin walls (albeit clean), and the breakfast was meager. Location wasn't as ideal as I thought it would be either. I think if you are staying here for just one or two nights it's passable, but any more I would recommend you stay somewhere else that has better rooms, breakfast and location. An average stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Satrika72
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We Initially had booked our accommodation at the Sakura Hotel Jimbocho but when we got there they said they had sent me an email informing us they had to move us to the much nicer Hatagaya Hotel instead (we didn't have internet access when it was sent)
We kept the same price (saving us $80AUD) and they gave us a free beer each and 1,000 Yen for the transport, so thanks to the Jimbocho staff for that but onto the Hatagaya review.

We knew upon check in we were having a twin room for 2 nights and had to be moved into a double for the 3 last nights. the twin had quite a bit of room and was comortable, the double we couldn't even open our suitcase without it being on the bed. Our rooms at the Hatagaya had a mini fridge and a bathroom which we wouldn't of had had at Jimbocho.

There is a family Mart just meters from the Hotel where a staffer was nice enough to operate ticket kiosk to help us buy pro wrestling tickets, there is also a supermarket (Gourmet City) around the corner for a huge selection of unusual Japanese food.

Now for the Negative, the only train line here is the Keio New Line and you are 2 stops from Shinjuku station this train line turns into the Shinjuku (Green) line so that's good if you are going somewhere near the middle of Tokyo (Jimbocho station has 3 different lines going through it) the major issue is that the only stations that even show the Keio New Line on the route/price maps were Shinjuku station and the ones on the actual line, this was very frustrating.

Overall the Hotel was very good but next time in Tokyo I'll be staying on the Yamanote line or a place with multiple train lines going through it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We bounced around to a few different locations during our visit to Japan and stayed in Sakura Hotel Hatagaya for only one night. The proximity to Hatagaya station was great. The staff was friendly and explained the details very clearly. The double room was a snug fit for two people and some luggage, but we were only there for one night and didn't need to unpack much anyway. Breakfast was good. I really enjoyed the corn soup. Overall it's a decent stay for a budget traveller.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The staff who checked us in was really rude. He quoted us the wrong amount when we were making payment. Refusing to check his system, I took the initiative to show him the email confirmation his colleague sent to me when I made my booking. The number of days, type of room, with/without breakfast was stated very clearly in the email. He kept reading the email and doing the calculation for the next 15mins. He got himself and us frustrated when he could not get it right. When he managed to get the amount stated in the email, he said, "THANK YOU FOR MAKING THINGS SO DIFFICULT!"

1) He doesn't know how to read email? Everything was stated clearly in there.
2) He can't do simple calculations?
3) Is this customer service?

We stayed one night, left the hotel for Hakone the following day and went back to stay for the next 2 nights.

We were given a smaller room than the one we had before and also a really smelly toilet. Revenge or what, we don't know.

We requested a change of room but the other triple room is occupied for that one night.

The hotel manager called to apologise while we voiced about the rude staff whom checked us in. Been a good manager, he sided his staff and insisted that we have misunderstood his words. He said he will investigate but until now, there was no news from him.

Toilets were smelly
Aircon was noisy
No water to the basin after you have flushed the toilet. You gotta wait a good 3mins or so.

I would say, stay at your own risk!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank michellejanelle
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Staying here for 7 nights and I got special price for it. The location is very convenient, just 5 minutes from Hatagaya Station. It made me easier to commute everywhere. Many restaurant surrounds the hotel which also offer cheap price.

Even though the room was quite small, it was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ykarina22
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The one week special is definetly a very good way to save some money if you stay longer than one week.
The hotel staff is totally friendly and helps you whenever you need some help.
They really helped me a lot figuring out where to go and what to see.

The Location of the hotel is perfect:
If you walk to the Shinjuku station it takes about 20 minutes.
With the metro about 5. So you can get everywhere quite fast and easy.

Around the hotel there are also a couple of supermarkets and really good restaurants (Sushi, Soba, McDonalds, Izakayas,...)

The prices for drinks in the hotel are also cheap and they have a really good coffee. I can't say anything about the meals cause I went out every day for lunch and dinner.

Rooms: I had a single room and I must say it was bigger than I thought. A small minus was that there wasn't much storage for your clothes but I managed to get along quite good with that.

So overall I highly recommend this hotel to everyone who doesn't want to pay too much money and wants a nice room in a hotel with a very friendly staff and a good location. (I will definetely choose this hotel again for my next trip to Tokyo)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo