“Good Location”
Review of Keiunso

Keiunso
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very good location easy to find and affordable. Just take the airport limousine and be dropped off either at Sun route Hotel or at Shinjuku station. The hotel is near department stores such as lumin. The hotel is very clean and the owner Ms. Kubo San is very accommodating. Will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank abellasarahjane

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

When I visited Tokyo I could only stay here. Super clean, the best location you can ask to see Tokyo or to trabel north and south. The connection for daily sightseeing is perfect, but also is when you have to catch a train to or from the airport, a shinkansen to Kyoto/Hiroshima/Fukoka or northern to Sendai/Aomori, day trips to Kamakura/Yokohama or the other side, to Nikko/Omiya. Unbeatable price/quality/location. You'll always pay double for staying in this area, not to mention the huge hotel next to it, and never as nice, clean, excellent staff with perfect English. I haven't slept better in all places I've stayed (business hotels) than I have in this Ryokan theme hotel, peaceful and feeling home just to see that tatami.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Aguamarina04
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Affordable place, very well located and with very helpful staff. Anyway it is on Tokyo cost standards, that it is expensive but payable.
Rooms are tiny but amazingly clean, as everything in Japan.

It is a great option for a 5 days or less stay in Tokyo.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nelnunvid
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I chose to stay here because I had to take the highway bus in the morning next day and I didn't want to use the train during the rush hour of Tokyo. This place is in a very good location. 3 minutes walk from JR Shinjuku station. I took the airport bus from Haneda for Sunroute Plaza stop and it was right in front of the corner of this place.
The staffs are helpful and their English was pretty good. The room with ensuit bathroom was tiny but comfy and Japanese bed was warm enough for a cold night.
If you look for a hostel with good location and not too expensive in Shinjuku, this is the place you are looking for!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank zonier
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I came across this small lovely minshuku by chance and never regretted staying here. It is managed by Naoko and she stays at the minshuku as well.
Since I travelled alone, I booked a room for a single person and it is a lovely tatami room with its own private bathroom. No breakfast but it's ok cuz there are plenty of eateries (including McDonalds) nearby. You need to vacate your room from 10am till 4pm daily and there is a curfew from 12am till 6am. If you are leaving early, do let them know.
The room comes with the standard toiletries and you can get free shampoo from the counter. The staffs were helpful and Naoko helped me with my laundry as well, which I greatly appreciate :)
I had good sleep every night but the highlight was Naoko's great hospitality. I will definitely be back to this place the next time I am in town :)

Directions to the minshuku:
- Take the JR Shinjuku South exit (please do not take "new south exit")
- The moment you come out of this exit, you will see a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights. Cross that and turn right.
- Walk straight and you will reach the next pedestrian crossing. Cross that and turn left.
- After you turn left, you will see McDonalds ahead of you. Walk towards McDonalds.
- After McDonalds, there will be a street on your right. Turn right and you will see a row of vending machines on your left and keep straight.
- By then, you would see this minshuku's name in green and white.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Naoko speaks very good English and there was this older gentleman who can speak good English as well...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Melur
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I just liked this place so much! I have no other hotel experience in Tokyo to compare, but I think this place was worth for the money I paid.

The only small uncomfortable thing was during my stay, that they have no wifi in the rooms, only in common areas. After a long day, with sightseeing and lot of walking it would be great just use it from the room.

The staff was so-so, some on them are really nice, some porter was not really, but still helpful, when I asked for something.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Niki S
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We booked 2 rooms for just one night since we need to depart very early on the highway bus from the Shinjuku Bus Terminal. Kubo San, the proprietor was very kind in assisting to make the highway bus ticket reservation for us. It was a pity that we didn't manage to meet face to face to thank him properly.

The minshuku was in an excellent location. Barely 5 minutes walk from the South Exit of the Shinjuku JR Station. Previous review mentioned that the lane was very dark at night. We 4 ladies or even 2 at times didn't feel insecure at all walking back at night.

We left our luggage prior to check-in since we got to the minshuku before their check-in time. By the time we returned the luggage were all in our rooms. The rooms were cosy and comfortable. Windows could be opened wide. Good to have attached bathroom and toilet. However, no shampoo provided...

Previous reviews mentioned free wifi in public area but was informed otherwise at check-in.

The only negative thing I can say was the person at the reception (not Kubo San) was a bit surly. No welcoming smiles nor greetings. It was quite disconcerting... Otherwise everything was great and I would definitely return again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MelKualaLumpur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
#14 of 83 in Shinjuku
Central Hotel Tokyo
Central Hotel Tokyo
#45 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Keiunso? Share your experiences!