“Poor Value for the Money”

Katsukura Shinjuku Takashimaya
Ranked #14 of 8,170 Restaurants in Shibuya
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: We serve Fried pork cutlet,as a healthy dish, using carefully selected ingredients. Set menu includes all-you-can-eat"sliced cabbage, miso soup, rice, and pickles".
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I found their tonkatsu pork meat had too much fat and they cost much more than their competitor in 13F (one floor down). In my last trip I tried Katsukura (14F) and Tonkatsu Inaba Wako (13F), I ended up going to Tonkatsu Inaba two more times after that. Tonkatsu Inaba in my opinion is much better and for cheaper price too. The bonus at Inaba Wako you get their excellent pork soup instead of the regular miso soup at Katsukura.
Now that I am back in Canada, I intend to look for same quality tonkatsu in Toronto, and hopefully will be able to find one locally.

1  Thank ANoto-Traveller

Reviewed 30 April 2014

There are 3 tonkatsu restaurants in Takashimaya and this is hands down the best one.

The waiters were kind and friendly.

The tonkatsu was not greasy at all. The pork was juicy, the croquette was a bit bland for my taste.

Free refill on cabbage and rice.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Katsukura is located inside Takashimaya Shinjuku on the 14th floor. They did have accommodating staff and explained the different cuts of the pork. Since we read about this restaurant from Lady Iron Chef's blog, we thought it best to taste their tonkatsu. We tried 2 different kinds of pork, the kurobota (which was the "wagyu" type of pork loin) and the ordinary pork cutlet. The verdict: the kurobota was a bit tough and had more fat than the ordinary pork cutlet. Given the big price difference, you're better off with the ordinary pork cutlet. It wasn't as tender as how it was "blogged" about but, then again, it was good to try it out for ourselves.

2  Thank RPGT
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Katsukura is on the 14th floor of the Takashimaya department store. They have an English menu, but the waiters speak limited English. The restaurant specializes in tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets). They serve great sides with the pork, pickled veggies, rice, and a variety of sauces. This was our first meal upon arrival in Tokyo and it was a great way to kick off our vacation.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Really approachable. Friendly staff. 50$ for 2 Great food. We were the only westerners in the restaurant. They have an english menu.

1  Thank marieequebec