“The best views in Shibuya”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Sydney
“The best views in Shibuya”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Since my first trip to Shibuya, I've been itching to stay at the Shibuya Excel Hotel for it's incredible location. We had already had 8 nights in Shibuya at the Tobu, but had one last night in Tokyo and decided to splurge so went for the Excel.
This hotel is beautiful and fantastically located so we could walk straight off the JR Yamanote line and into the hotel with our luggage. We were a little early (12:30) so the hotel kindly offered to mind our bags.
At 2pm our room was ready and we were on the 15th floor - we caught the outdoor/clear lift which I was a little excited about because of the amazing view it afforded us of Shibuya.

The room was relatively spacious but the bed was smaller than I expected - that said it was a semi-double so I shouldn't have been surprised. The view from our window was great especially at night and the view from the elevator area on each floor is spectacular - the ultimate view of the Shibuya crossing.

I couldn't for the life of me work out the internet - had easy plug in ethernet at every other hotel that worked straight away but this I couldn't figure out. We were only staying one night so I didn't bother to ask staff for help. I did ask staff at reception for help to get to Haneda considering I didn't have the internet and they were incredibly helpful.

This hotel is gorgeous and I was happy enough with it - the room was much bigger and nicer than we had experienced at other places. That said, I think I'd rather keep my money for the shops and stay somewhere smaller/simpler... this was a bit of a splurge. If money is no object, go for it!

Room Tip: Go for a bigger room than semi-double if your budget allows. We were on the 15th floor and had spect...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Southern California
Reviewed 10 January 2012

this hotel was awesome- when we got off the train to look for our hotel, it was so nice to see a sign at the shibuya train station directing us to our hotel because its connected to the station! rooms were a good size and bed was comfy. the elevators are cool too because they look down on the shibuya crossing. my two complaints were that they didn't include a breakfast, but that was actually ok because they are connected to the Mark West mall, where they have PLENTY of food options- and they have a plastic bathroom- ugh! go check out the restaurant on the 25th floor though- they have some great views up there!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This hotel is located at Shibuya Mark City which is below the train station and Ginza subway line. There's nothing to dislike about this hotel. Rooms were spacious, and clean. Housekeeping is excellent, and very meticulous (just like the Japanese people).
You get dropped off at the doorstep (literally a few steps away from the front door) with the airport limo bus that services both airports (Narita and Haneda).
Secondly, there are restaurants, cafes, convenience store and shops just below the hotel.
And lastly, everything else is just a walk away - from restaurants, fast food chains, cafes, local shops, departmental stores, and flagship stores (H&M, Loft, Forever 21, Tokyu Hands).
You must eat at the hotel's restaurant on the 25th floor. It offers fantastic view of the city and beyond. On a clear day, you can even see Mount Fuji.
Shibuya is also connected to many popular places with the Yamanote Line - Shinjuku, Harujuku, Yoyogi are just minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for excellent view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Location was great. Right on top of access to public transport. Main entrance spills out into mid Shibuya so great shopping and unbelievable food right around the corner.

Rooms were good. Missing some of the standard amenities like iron, ironing board, etc but still nice. Slight communication issues attempting to get said items but turned out ok. Rooms were very clean, bathroom was good size, updated, water pressure was good. My room had a wonderful view of the Shibuya area and beyond, including the mountain range in the background.

Did not dine in the hotel because great food was right around the corner. Leave the hotel, hand a left and get lost in the side streets of Shibuya, you are guaranteed to find good food in small hole in the walls - be adventurous.

Staff was very helpful. Had some complicated requests due to paying for all of my business colleagues that arrived and left on different days - hotel staff handled it in stride and nothing was mishandled.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 December 2011

An amazing hotel right in the heart of Shibuya with awesome views. Even better if you can get a deal..I paid £100GBP a night..think that was half price. When I come through this way again it will be the place to stay..decent sized room for Tokyo..easy street access and a great view for breakfast..recommended.

Room Tip: try to get as high as possible facing onto Shibuya crossing..maybe ask at the desk
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2011

This hotel is in the best possible location in Shibuya - litterally right on top of the mass transit, steps away from EVERYTHING!!
We paid about 230$ per night. Our room was big, modern, super comfortable and the view was incredible. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011
minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed 5 nights at the Shibuya Excel Hotel in Tokyo this Fall 2011. It is steps from the train station, which makes it a breeze to get to from the airport, to access the subway, etc. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are not as small as in other places in Tokyo (I had a double bed, a desk, a vanity counter...) and the service was great - the concierge really helped me with lots of questions, from restaurants to transportation, and had an umbrella handy for me on a rainny day. The two restaurants cater to both Asia and Western tastes, so all is covered.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor, and ask for a room with a view to the park and the skycrapers, including th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business