“Superb location”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is right across the Shibuya station and in from the famed shibuya crossing. The rooms are a little small and the check in strictly at 3pm.
There is a big mall next door and plenty of eateries. Across the road and within walking distance, there are many shops- local and international brands.
The Hachiko statute is nearby as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel. It is not a luxurious hotel and the rooms are small, but who stays in the room for long anyway? It has everything we needed, and more: toiletries, kimonos, slippers, ironing board, hair dryer, and dehumidifier. The free wifi in the rooms worked perfectly, which was a great plus, and the beds were super comfortable. We can choose between the Japanese breakfast or the western buffet breakfast, both which were fine.

But what tops it all was the location!! The location is just second to none: right in the middle of everything. Shibuya in itself is already a great area, and the Shibuya Excel Tokyu Hotel is in the middle of where all the action is. Everything is right there at your doorstep: endless shops, department stores, supermarkets and convenient stores, and a wide array of restaurants. You don't have to worry about running out of cash because you can find an ATM on the 9th floor of the Tokyu Department Store just across the hotel, and also on the 7th floor of the Shibuya 109 for Women.

It is directly linked to the Shibuya train station, right at the famous Shibuya crossing (which we can see from the room). The Narita limousine bus stops in front of the hotel which made it very convenient for travelers with large suitcases. What more can you ask for? Should I return to Tokyo, I would not bother to look for another hotel. The Shibuya Excel Tokyu Hotel is THE hotel of choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank imasuleiman
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This location is perfect in meeting our needs. First off, the airport limousine bus which we took from Narita (right off the arrival area) stops right in the hotel entrance. A must for us and huge convenience with all the luggage we had. We felt very comfortable and safe in the bus.We purchased the 2 day round trip Bus and Subway combo for $60.00 each-what a bargain since we used the 2 day pass while exploring the City.
Check-in was a breeze, with staff very welcoming and helpful. Our room was more than I expected- huge, full of amenities (robes, slippers, etc.) with comfortable beds.Our room was facing a brightly lit huge billboard but the heavy curtains with shades helped a lot. We also had a nice view of the Shibuya crossing which was an entertainment by itself. The hotel is in a busy area but the noise level is controlled and we had a great night's sleep. There's a lot of choices for places to eat, a department store and convenience store in the hotel center. 2 floors down is the food hall with so many choices. In the hotel's vicinity is a plethora of shopping and dining destinations. It's a one stop shop for us and very ideal for short visits. The subway line is across the hotel, and can be accessed through the walkway bridge in the hotel- again, so ideal since it was raining on the days we were in Japan. Had breakfast on the 25th floor and it was so nice-the view, food selection and service was fantastic. Breakfast was $25.00 and well worth it. Took a cab to the Meiji Shrine ($8.00) and walked to Harajuku. On the way back, Harajuku was a short subway ride. Upon check-out, the staff helped us with our luggage to the bus, and took care of all boarding requirements. Much more efficient than airline travel. I really love this hotel and location and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrea63
Reviewed 9 March 2014

There were really many positives about this hotel: really efficient staff, very clean rooms, really comfortable beds, wonderful view of the Shinjuku skyline, great location in Shibuya with easy access to JR and subway as well as so many good restaurants and bars in the area (I really think Shibuya is the best area to stay in Tokyo). And most importantly, we had all of this at a really reasonable price (about 175$ a night) which is why I give this a 5-star rating.

The only downside is that the room size is quite small compared to international standards, but this is Tokyo where it seems to be the norm. Also I guess if you don't get a room on one of the upper floors your view won't be as nice. Finally, breakfast is overpriced at 2,500 yen, but it was nice to get some fruits and vegetables in the morning.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the upper floors. Also I think rooms 4 to 16 on each floor probably hav...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Being my first time in Japan I was kind of lost and of course had no phone or wifi access but as soon as my girlfriend and I left the Shibuya station we found the hotel without any issues. It was great. The location made it so incredibly easy to get to the metro station and back to the hotel.

The wifi worked wonderfully, the rooms were nice and warm. The view from the room however is what really made me fall in love with the hotel. It was an amazing view. Great places to eat near by as well.

It is constantly crowded due to the location but it is very quiet inside the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again if I get the chance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill O
Reviewed 24 February 2014

As you can tell from my other reviews, when in Tokyo, I usually stay at the Granbell Shibuya. However, this time it was completely full so my second choice was the Tokyu Excel Hotel Shibuya.
As most reviewers noted, this is a very very convenient hotel pretty much attached to Shibuya Station.
Why from two stars to four stars you ask? Upon check-in, I had requested a high floor non-smoking room. The staff at the check-in punched a few keys on his computer a few time and said nothing about my request and handed me the room keys to a 7th floor smoking room. He then brought out a laminated flyer asking if I would like to pay extra for a nice room. This hotel was already more expensive than the Granbell so I declined. As a single male traveler who can rough it at times, I thought I could handle the room.... wrong!
The room reeked of cigarettes. The lighting in the room was dim. The bed was against a wall that had scratched wallpaper. View, what view? Open the drapes and you can see a retaining wall. I gave in and called the concierge to ask how much it would cost to upgrade to those fancy rooms. $40 USD a night.
What a difference! I got the top floor, 24th (25th is actually their highest but that's where the restaurants are). The room was non-smoking with two double bets. Huge bathroom. Fantastic view of Shibuya. The room was large not only compared to Japan hotels, but compared to any hotel world wide. It was spotlessly clean with an air cleaner/humidifier. The air conditioning worked perfectly. Large TV and all the bathroom toiletries you need.
Should I book this hotel next time, I would definitely ask for the rooms on the 24th floor. For an extra $40, definitely worth the upgrade.

Room Tip: Try to book the highest floors (20th and up) or perhaps pick the cheapest room and upgrade (although...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DocsLo
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I go to Tokyo at least 2 to 3 times a year and I usually stay at Century Southern Tower in Shinjuku. My girlfriend found a deal at Shibuya Excel so we decided to give it a try.

The moment I walked into the hotel it was crowded and noisy. It did not help when I just arrived from a 12 hour flight. The lobby is very small and the front desk staff is very cold. I cannot say she is not nice but just not the warm, big smiles I used to get from most Japanese front staff. Believe it or not during my 4 day of stay, every time I need to ask someone at the front desk, it had always been this girl.

We stayed at the ladies' floor. The carpet was quite old and dirty. They do provide cleanser, toner, moisturizer in sample size each night from Shiseido for ladies' only rooms and it is a nice touch. Other than that, the room looks quite outdated and nothing special.

We also tried both the Western and the Japanese breakfast. The Japanese breakfast is ok but definitely have better ones at the hot spring hotels. The western breakfast lacks variety and quality is only so-so.

It is right connected to the Shibuya station and a department store which could be both plus and minus. Of course it is convenient but at the same time it is also super crowded and busy all the time. I would not recommend doing the Narita Express as it is a long and confusing walk to the hotel. Take the Limousine bus instead.

I guess I am just too used to the standard of Century Southern Tower in Shinjuku - they have way better service, large and calmer lobby, newer rooms and better breakfast. Price wise these two hotels are very similar. I cannot think of any reasons why I would stay here again if Century is available.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends