“Great hotel to stay in Tokyo”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
“Great hotel to stay in Tokyo”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I think this hotel is very nice to stay because of the location. It's great to have a JR line near the hotel so that I can travel easily.

The rooms are big enough for me. Good views to see from the inside of the room. Also,comfortable bed.

However,as a muslim,the western breakfast doesn't serve beef most of the time. It's quite dissappointing because breakfast is important before having sightseeing activities.

All in all,book this hotel if you need JR line the most on your holiday or simply have a great view of Tokyo!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I truly do not like being negative but must say my stay at the Excel Hotel in Shibuya last week was most disappointing. This was my third trip to the region in the past year, and the first time I paid so much for a room (due to my trip being so last minute my usual place was booked out!) I was initially completely surprised by the fact I did not at all feel welcome when I checked in at the reception desk - which is so NOT the Japanese way. Their customer service is usually beyond reproach. And, at over $300 a night for my room, this was the first hotel I have ever stayed anywhere in the world where one's luggage is not taken to the room for the guests. More an observation than a complaint however. I had flown into Tokyo at 8.30am so by the time I arrived at Shibuya it was more 11am and too early to check into my room so I went out walking for hours. Returned to take occupancy of my room, desperate for a cold water, and not a single thing in the bar fridge: nothing. I checked the documentation and no 'room service' either until later in the day.
Towels - I would advise packing your own. Towels in the room extremely thin - matching the oh-so-thin toilet tissue.
I found it difficult finding my way around and, as an elderly person, thought it would have been wonderful if I was told that the airport limousine had dropped me at the fifth floor, and I then had been given a map to work out exactly how to get around the hotel.
On a positive note, the room was larger than the 'normal' standard accommodation space in Japan. Beautifully presented bed linen. Great view of course. Fabulous location if you are a train user, but I do think there is much room for improvement - particularly for the cost.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank creativegypsy
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for 6 days during Golden Week, 2014. The entrance to the hotel is pretty hard to find but if you're at a place called "shibuya mark city" then you're within the vicinity of the hotel. Shibuya Excel Hotel staff did not speak english well. The clerk, however, spoke english well but his attitude wasn't that welcoming. What I mean is that it seemed he was tired and wanted to go home. I'm not asking for much but at least put on a smile, you know? Anyway, the other staff were friendly and polite.

Room: Very tiny (I'm used to US-room standards), yet clean. The AC would not turn on unless the lights were on, which was odd. Bathroom was small and came with basic amenities.

View: Stayed in the 20th (out of 25) floor and we had an amazing view of the city. Although we requested a view of shibuya crossing, it was only a partial view of it.

Value: It was definitely a fair price (around 150USD/night)

Food: We didn't order any but we had wine at their local restaurant.

Proximity to Shibuya station: 3 minute walk

Note: Shibuya is a pretty sketchy place to walk around at night. I was offered adult services numerous times by rude vietnamese touts who get angry if you ignore them. In addition, if you go north to kabukicho, you'll probably be constantly bothered by nigerian touts inviting you to check out their bar.

Bottom line: No pool or fitness center. I'd recommend this place if you know Japanese well or if you're a local. In the future, I think I'd stay in Roppongi or Shinjuku.

Room Tip: 20th floor. The higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jay S
Amelia Island, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My favorite hotel in the city! From the valet to the bartender every single staff member is polite and friendly. The suites are immaculate. Not a single detail is over looked at this beautiful historic land mark. I recommend it to anyone visiting Dallas or anyone just wanting to get away from the kids for the weekend. Beautiful!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank andyson s
jakarta
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice. Room was large for Tokyo standard, great view. Best location in Tokyo
Hotel is on top of station Shibuya JR and metro. You can go to hotel from airport by airport shuttle.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Very nice and convinient hotel in the center of shibuya. We stayed at the 23. floor with an amazing view over Yoyogi Park way to Shinjuku. The room was great, very clean (but i must say the standard for japanese hotels is very high though), it was the perfect size and the rates are very affordable. If you are in Tokyo to explore the city, thats the perfect place to stay. Tons of small restaurants around (lots of places in shibuya are open alsomst 24h, so if you have to fight a jet lag, the best thing we did is to have some gyoza and soba at 3 in the morning). The hotel is connected (!!!) with the Shibuya railway/subway station, what more can i say? Of course it is a big hotel with lots of room, if you are looking for a small boutique hotel with personal service thats not the right one, but still we felt very good stying in Excel Tokyo Shibuya.

Room Tip: from 10. floor and up!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We enjoyed the stay at the Excel and the room was comfortable and large by Tokyo standards with a small couch, and great view (we were on floor 22). Room was quiet enough although can still hear trains a little, since it is literally on top of Shibuya JR and Metro stations. The room quality is good but not great. Reminded us of hotels in China with nice looks but some cheap things too. Bathroom door is like cardboard. Cell phone charger didn't function. They supplied two bottles of water upon arrival and that was it! No refills the next day. They really missed an opportunity with this too. Instead of explaining that they had excellent tap water (they did) and they were trying to save the earth from water bottles, they simply said we should buy water at the vending machine on our floor! Pretty cheap for a room that costs several hundred per night! Coffee machine was nice (Nespresso) and they have a good quantity of plugs to use for electrical devices. TV ok - but no English stations at all, except pay. Refrigerator good. Bed was comfortable, but pillows not that nice (one foam, one regular) and too small for bed. Room maid service adequate. Shower good. Toilet spray seat of poor quality and did not work consistently (noisy too). All in all, we enjoyed staying here - right on top of the Shibuya "Times Sq" area and some of the restaurants in Mark City are also good. So convenient for trains too. The hotel quality is good but not great. But quite a bit less than the average hotel of this quality in Tokyo.

Room Tip: high floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple