“Can't go wrong bar the tracing paper”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Singapore, Singapore
“Can't go wrong bar the tracing paper”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Arrived early about 8.30am early :-) needless to say i expected to wait til the official 2pm check in time (as with all things Japanese - everything starts on time). But to my surprise and after leaving our luggage with the concierge, i was called back by the front desk staff and told that our rooms would be ready by 12 noon. Brownie points great!

Our rooms were decent from a Tokyo size perspective; didn't mind that there was no room service as we had already planned our itinerary back to back and expected to eat out most of the time (highly recommend Jean Francois bakery just below the hotel if you want freshly baked breads or just a few doors down there's a sushi place with a queue that starts at 10.30am for lunch). So as you can see food wasn't a problem.

As most reviewers have already pointed out; the hotel itself is well placed - shops, restaurants and Jr/Metro stations all nearby. My only gripe and to some it may be small, was with the toilet paper.....or er tracing paper that they tried to pass off as toilet paper :-)

All in all a decent enough stay at this hotel but might be inclined to try another hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
toronto
Reviewed 26 May 2014

You can't go wrong with the location. Ask for a room facing the scramble. It make for some entertaining watching. The view from the top floor breakfast room more than makes up for a breakfast that hardly changed for the 7 days I was here. There is a water drainage system in the bathroom that makes for odd smells occasionally. I got a note in my room from the front desk asking that I don't smoke in the room....I never did! Otherwise the service is solid and nice. The glass elevator at night makes a great video.

Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Spent a week at this wonderful hotel in the heart of Tokyo. The service is excellent and the staff is very kind. There is an excellent breakfast on the top floor, 25th level with a magnificent view of Mt. Fuji on a clear day. There was a strong quake while I was there and the hotel held up perfectly. Not even a crack! The only issue is that the hotel is not easily accessible from the street. You have to go up a long driveway to the entrance. There is a nice cafe in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide a better view of the city.
1 Thank Stewart S
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I think this hotel is very nice to stay because of the location. It's great to have a JR line near the hotel so that I can travel easily.

The rooms are big enough for me. Good views to see from the inside of the room. Also,comfortable bed.

However,as a muslim,the western breakfast doesn't serve beef most of the time. It's quite dissappointing because breakfast is important before having sightseeing activities.

All in all,book this hotel if you need JR line the most on your holiday or simply have a great view of Tokyo!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I truly do not like being negative but must say my stay at the Excel Hotel in Shibuya last week was most disappointing. This was my third trip to the region in the past year, and the first time I paid so much for a room (due to my trip being so last minute my usual place was booked out!) I was initially completely surprised by the fact I did not at all feel welcome when I checked in at the reception desk - which is so NOT the Japanese way. Their customer service is usually beyond reproach. And, at over $300 a night for my room, this was the first hotel I have ever stayed anywhere in the world where one's luggage is not taken to the room for the guests. More an observation than a complaint however. I had flown into Tokyo at 8.30am so by the time I arrived at Shibuya it was more 11am and too early to check into my room so I went out walking for hours. Returned to take occupancy of my room, desperate for a cold water, and not a single thing in the bar fridge: nothing. I checked the documentation and no 'room service' either until later in the day.
Towels - I would advise packing your own. Towels in the room extremely thin - matching the oh-so-thin toilet tissue.
I found it difficult finding my way around and, as an elderly person, thought it would have been wonderful if I was told that the airport limousine had dropped me at the fifth floor, and I then had been given a map to work out exactly how to get around the hotel.
On a positive note, the room was larger than the 'normal' standard accommodation space in Japan. Beautifully presented bed linen. Great view of course. Fabulous location if you are a train user, but I do think there is much room for improvement - particularly for the cost.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank creativegypsy
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for 6 days during Golden Week, 2014. The entrance to the hotel is pretty hard to find but if you're at a place called "shibuya mark city" then you're within the vicinity of the hotel. Shibuya Excel Hotel staff did not speak english well. The clerk, however, spoke english well but his attitude wasn't that welcoming. What I mean is that it seemed he was tired and wanted to go home. I'm not asking for much but at least put on a smile, you know? Anyway, the other staff were friendly and polite.

Room: Very tiny (I'm used to US-room standards), yet clean. The AC would not turn on unless the lights were on, which was odd. Bathroom was small and came with basic amenities.

View: Stayed in the 20th (out of 25) floor and we had an amazing view of the city. Although we requested a view of shibuya crossing, it was only a partial view of it.

Value: It was definitely a fair price (around 150USD/night)

Food: We didn't order any but we had wine at their local restaurant.

Proximity to Shibuya station: 3 minute walk

Note: Shibuya is a pretty sketchy place to walk around at night. I was offered adult services numerous times by rude vietnamese touts who get angry if you ignore them. In addition, if you go north to kabukicho, you'll probably be constantly bothered by nigerian touts inviting you to check out their bar.

Bottom line: No pool or fitness center. I'd recommend this place if you know Japanese well or if you're a local. In the future, I think I'd stay in Roppongi or Shinjuku.

Room Tip: 20th floor. The higher the better.
4 Thank Jay S
Amelia Island, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My favorite hotel in the city! From the valet to the bartender every single staff member is polite and friendly. The suites are immaculate. Not a single detail is over looked at this beautiful historic land mark. I recommend it to anyone visiting Dallas or anyone just wanting to get away from the kids for the weekend. Beautiful!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends