“Good value, Excellent location!”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Hong Kong, China
“Good value, Excellent location!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room was rather small but clean and comfortable. I asked for another duvet but they could only give me a fleece blanket.
The hotel is situated right on top of the subway station.It was extremely convenient especially when travelling with children. You can practically walk anywhere from this hotel and there are also plenty of nice restaurants around that area.
We didn't have breakfast included, but it was easy to grab a bite from one of the cafes nearby. Would choose this hotel again but definitely book a bigger room!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank psinhk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Staying in Shibuya is a must. This was my second time staying at Excel and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else when in Shibuya. Perfect location, with a million dollar view. The rooms are big and clean. The buffet breakfast is amazing and the service was excellent. Having the train station right under your door step is a Big Plus.I just loved it there and I look forward to going back someday.

• Stayed April 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Arrived early about 8.30am early :-) needless to say i expected to wait til the official 2pm check in time (as with all things Japanese - everything starts on time). But to my surprise and after leaving our luggage with the concierge, i was called back by the front desk staff and told that our rooms would be ready by 12 noon. Brownie points great!

Our rooms were decent from a Tokyo size perspective; didn't mind that there was no room service as we had already planned our itinerary back to back and expected to eat out most of the time (highly recommend Jean Francois bakery just below the hotel if you want freshly baked breads or just a few doors down there's a sushi place with a queue that starts at 10.30am for lunch). So as you can see food wasn't a problem.

As most reviewers have already pointed out; the hotel itself is well placed - shops, restaurants and Jr/Metro stations all nearby. My only gripe and to some it may be small, was with the toilet paper.....or er tracing paper that they tried to pass off as toilet paper :-)

All in all a decent enough stay at this hotel but might be inclined to try another hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
toronto
Reviewed 26 May 2014

You can't go wrong with the location. Ask for a room facing the scramble. It make for some entertaining watching. The view from the top floor breakfast room more than makes up for a breakfast that hardly changed for the 7 days I was here. There is a water drainage system in the bathroom that makes for odd smells occasionally. I got a note in my room from the front desk asking that I don't smoke in the room....I never did! Otherwise the service is solid and nice. The glass elevator at night makes a great video.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Spent a week at this wonderful hotel in the heart of Tokyo. The service is excellent and the staff is very kind. There is an excellent breakfast on the top floor, 25th level with a magnificent view of Mt. Fuji on a clear day. There was a strong quake while I was there and the hotel held up perfectly. Not even a crack! The only issue is that the hotel is not easily accessible from the street. You have to go up a long driveway to the entrance. There is a nice cafe in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide a better view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stewart S
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I think this hotel is very nice to stay because of the location. It's great to have a JR line near the hotel so that I can travel easily.

The rooms are big enough for me. Good views to see from the inside of the room. Also,comfortable bed.

However,as a muslim,the western breakfast doesn't serve beef most of the time. It's quite dissappointing because breakfast is important before having sightseeing activities.

All in all,book this hotel if you need JR line the most on your holiday or simply have a great view of Tokyo!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I truly do not like being negative but must say my stay at the Excel Hotel in Shibuya last week was most disappointing. This was my third trip to the region in the past year, and the first time I paid so much for a room (due to my trip being so last minute my usual place was booked out!) I was initially completely surprised by the fact I did not at all feel welcome when I checked in at the reception desk - which is so NOT the Japanese way. Their customer service is usually beyond reproach. And, at over $300 a night for my room, this was the first hotel I have ever stayed anywhere in the world where one's luggage is not taken to the room for the guests. More an observation than a complaint however. I had flown into Tokyo at 8.30am so by the time I arrived at Shibuya it was more 11am and too early to check into my room so I went out walking for hours. Returned to take occupancy of my room, desperate for a cold water, and not a single thing in the bar fridge: nothing. I checked the documentation and no 'room service' either until later in the day.
Towels - I would advise packing your own. Towels in the room extremely thin - matching the oh-so-thin toilet tissue.
I found it difficult finding my way around and, as an elderly person, thought it would have been wonderful if I was told that the airport limousine had dropped me at the fifth floor, and I then had been given a map to work out exactly how to get around the hotel.
On a positive note, the room was larger than the 'normal' standard accommodation space in Japan. Beautifully presented bed linen. Great view of course. Fabulous location if you are a train user, but I do think there is much room for improvement - particularly for the cost.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo