“Great location! Friendly Environment!”

Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here during my first visit to Japan. Although the room is a bit small compared to your usual NY hotel room, it was very clean and comfortable. Wifi access throughout the whole hotel. Perfect location for first time visitors. Close to many restaurants, shops and across the street from train station. We loved it here and would definitely return! Oh and staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The room & toilet is big and clean. But need to improve at customer service. We've booked 2 rooms with triple bed & we requested for connection room or both rooms at the same floor, but they have only 1 room for triple bed on each floor, so we tried to ask for downgrading one of our room to double bed room as it's more than enough for us. However, the service desk was rejected our request impolitely and told us to pay extra (about 10k yen) for this option.

The location of the hotel is great, it's at the Shibuya street & link to both subway and JR station. it's less than 5 mins walk to reach the station from hotel :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Janice_Tay88
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

If you are looking to taste the famed "warm Eastern Hospitality" ie the "Bows", the "aligato gozaimas (meaning thank you)", the "sweet smiles", etc, you are in for great disappointment with the staff of this hotel!!!

From day 1 contact point, they have been slow in email response and not wanting to please during our stay.

Only plus point is the location, 5mins walk to main shopping strip.

Rooms were small and clean
as is expected of hotels in Tokyo.

Wont be back to this Hotel for sure!

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the famous Shibuya Crossing location based upon a colleague's recommendation. The hotel was everything I expected for a business trip: clean rooms, good service, good food in the hotel. The bathroom was a bit cramped but I think it was the room layout (#1601) as my colleagues mentioned theirs were not as cramped. Breakfast was great and guests have a choice between Western or Japanese, both with an incredible view of the city.

Service was good but I wouldn't recommend the in room massage because they don't bring a portable massage table and the bed doesn't really work well to relax.

My room had a great view of the crossing, which looked like watching ants from the 16th floor of the hotel.

The location is great with easy access to the train at the lower level of the hotel. Plus there are a number shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The location is quite nice. It is very convenient for shopping. There are directly NEX train from Narita airport and the hotel is just above of the Shibuya station!! I stayed in upper floor. The view is very beautiful.
The service is quite normal. In this high qality service provided country,the service in this hotel is really "normal" and didnt meet my expect. Especially the front desk staff, they might forget their smile sometimes. I also purchased japanese style breakfast for one day but I think the quality and quantity didnt meet its price.
The bottled water is not provided in this hotel. You can buy the water and the food in convenience store. There are more than 3 convenience store near by the hotel.
Totally this is a hotel having good location and nice view in upper floor. If the service can be improved, it will be more attractive.

Room Tip: The view in upper floor room is really beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Amaumau
Reviewed 3 July 2014

It was my first time to visit Tokyo and the people recommendation was to stay at Shibuya Excel Hotel because it is close to the famous Shibuya crossing and all shopping stores. The hotel was so nice and the staff were so friendly. The good thing about the hotel is the metro and the JR are under so it easy for tourists to hop in and chose their destinations. One thing tourist must pay attention to is rooms are too small if you have a kid and more than 2 luggage they won't have a space to move comfortably.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Fa9ool
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The title sort of says it all; a mediocre, tired hotel literally attached to Shibuya station so what's most important to you? Location cannot be beat, my room overlooked Shibuya crossing and getting in and out was a treat. My room was tired,small and basic, totally comparable to an average NYC hotel room. I will admit it was clean and the Japanese toilet was indescribable. The staff upon check-in was good but the "concierge" was an absolute joke. I understand there is a language barrier but don't waste my time completely. We asked for several things, including calls to make reservations in Japanese and information on various places. They had a hard time accomplishing anything at all actually. One place where they had been busy printing out maps to for us (hello, its 2014, i don't need a hardcopy map) wasn't even open the day they sent us in. That was a total fail in my mind. When checking out, we went to the restaurant for a cup of coffee and wait for a friend. The coffee was $10 seriously. We know Tokyo can be expensive but a $10 cup of coffee without refill is out of context with the rest of the city.

Overall, nothing (other than concierge) was so terrible that I can't say stay away but it just depends on what's important. I definitely understand why it was cheaper than the other things we looked at which I'm sure couldn't compete location-wise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends