“Great hotel for a short stay, just next door to Shinjuku Station”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is mostly a Japanese business hotel, but it's very affordable given the location. Rooms are tiny but come with all the amenities crammed in. Breakfast is hot and very good. And best of all this hotel is 5 mins from Shinjuku station and a number of other shopping and eating attractions.

I've stayed here on two separate occasions coming in from Narita on the express train and staying a couple of days during a long transit.

Room Tip: Worth getting the breakfast
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jesse and Britt G
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at Sunroute Plaza for 2 Nights. This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, the other back in 2010.

The location is ideal - 2 mins walk from JR Shinjuku station.

The rooms are small at the lower tariff end, but average for Tokyo. They are very well appointed and have CNN cable TV.

Beds are small doubles but very comfortable.

The hotel is very popular with westerners probably due to the location and access to & from Narita Airport by bus that stops undercover at the hotel.

English is well spoken and the handling process of checkin & out is handled very efficiently. Checkout time is 11am which is great.

Breakfast if included is amazing. It really is a 5 star smorgasbord spread with many cuisines represented.

The only negative comment I could make is, given we have now spent considerable time in Tokyo, there are better and less expensive hotel options available. But for a first time visit and wanting a feeling of being comfortable with access , location and a western type front end, this hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank onlylife
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The reviews on here for this hotel are all excellent for a very good reason - it's a fantastic hotel! So conveniently located in arguably the busiest hub in Tokyo. For light sleepers who are reluctant to stay here - don't worry. I couldn't hear anything in our room on level 4 and had much better sleep than in another hotel in a quieter area.
One thing I really appreciated was the washing machine (300 yen per cycle) they provided for guests in the basement. It was certainly a nice change from handwashing in the bathroom basin.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tubbymao
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I highly recommend this hotel for the following reasons :-

(1) 3 mins' walk from <JR Line, Shinjuku Station>

(2) Room on #03 is spacious, Room on #07 is smaller. We booked a 6-night stay and it cost only 69,500Yen which translates to S$158 per night;

(3) The room has wifi and the signal is strong;

(4) The room looks NEW, the aircon is cold enough, the heater works fine during Autumn as well;

(5) It comes with mechanized curtains, and ironing board is provided. All bathroom accessories are sufficient, the body shampoo, shampoo and conditioner comes in large bottles. Bathtub and Bidet spray are added benefits.

(6) There is a 24-hour <Macdonald> located a stone's throw away. The <MacDonald> has interesting menu not available in Singapore, eg, Terriyaki Pork burger, Cappuccino Sundae

(7) near to major shopping centres , eg Lumine 1 & 2, Takashimaya, Idakyu, etc

(8) conveniently located, directly opposite the hotel there is a café, and many eateries just 5 mins' walk from the hotel

(9) Hotel reception - staff speaks good English and they are courteous and helpful

(10) Hotel reception advised us to book a cab from <Hotel Sunroute Shinjuku> to <Haneda Airport> (a 30 mins' ride at 3.30am in the morning) at 9,200Yen (for extra large taxi + highway surcharge). We asked the taxis parked at the road side, they charges 11,000 Yen to go to <Haneda Airport>. The Hotel Reception assisted us to book the cab.

(11) The breakfast at the hotel does not taste good. Food is tasteless. Very disappointing if it is your first meal in Japan. If you could book the hotel WITHOUT the breakfast (like what we do), it is better. We ate at the hotel and paid 1,470Yen/pax for the breakfast when we first arrived in the morning because my mum was feeling too cold to go explore in the streets for other food

We highly recommend this hotel for travellers. This is my first time staying in this hotel and I will return to stay in the same hotel if I were to travel to <Shinjuku> again.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking rooms. And rooms on #03 are better than rooms on #07
5  Thank sereneyew
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The reviews on Tripadvisor about Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku (HSPS) are well deserved. I stayed at HSPS twice on a recent (Oct/ Nov 2013) trip to Japan. The hotel is great value and well located in terms of public transport and dining, but it's the staff at this hotel that clinch the deal. At check-in and check-out, and whenever I made an enquiry I received the most exceptional, courteous, helpful and friendly service from each staff member I had contact with - there are always staff at hand that speak English. The staff cannot not do enough to make your stay memorable - I overheard staff booking restaurants in Tokyo for guests. Although I had booked a single room, I was upgraded to a double room on my first stay. The second stay I stayed in a single room - the size was quite reasonable for Japan. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel, including in rooms. I was able to open my windows to allow fresh air and sleep without air-conditioning. Upon check-in I joined their club (at no cost), this allowed me a late check-out (1:00 pm) at any Sunroute hotel throughout Japan free of charged and earned me points that I was able to utilise before I left Japan. I wouldn't stay anywhere else than HSPS when in Tokyo and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank BiddyBond
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was my first stay at the Sunroute Plaza at Shinjuku. It was very convenient and close to Shinjuku Station, about 5 minutes walk. It was right next to a huge shopping centre complex with department stores such as Linux and Keio filled with a variety of restaurants. A pleasant area to stay in to say the least.

The staff was very friendly and courteous to the visitors. The room itself was very clean but quite packed, as expected of Japanese hotels. Not only were the rooms nice, the hotel itself is ideal for budget travellers, compared to the more expensive hotels in the Tokyo regions. The free wifi even in the rooms was also an added bonus and its location at the heart of Tokyo allowed us to appreciate the busiest Japanese city.

Overall, it was a great stay and highly recommended for foreign and domestic tourists alike.

3  Thank XLR8-TRAVEL
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was in Tokyo for 2 nights last month. My cousin booked me into this hotel. At first, I had my doubts in staying in a room that only catered for 1 person. I was plenty surprised at how big the room was, certainly on par with some of the twin rooms in other hotels around the world. The room was clean and nicely presented. The only downside was that I was not able to stay in a non smoking floor. Nevertheless, I could not smell any tobacco smoke in my room, but it was definitely noticeable in the corridor outside the room.

On one of the mornings, I ate breakfast at the hotel. For 1470 yen, I was not expecting much from the buffet breakfast and I was right. The variety of food available was not as extensive as other hotel breakfast and the food was rather tasteless.

Anyway, I would stay at this hotel again the next time I am in Tokyo.

3  Thank ng_ryan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Century Southern Tower
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#13 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!