Sakura Fleur Aoyama
US$187
US$143
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Sakura Hotel Hatagaya(Shibuya)(Great Value!)
US$187
  • Breakfast included
US$209
US$193
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsshibuya stationheavy luggageattached cafeboutique hotelgreat locationuphill walksmall hillpedestrian crossinghour convenience storestayed for one nightspeak english very wella couple of minutes walkbed was comfortablemini fridgedouble roomchoose this hotelfree internet
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stayed in this hotel for about 10 days and i was staying in the blue room.. This hotel is pretty good location, about 10 mins walk from Shibuya train station. It's just a little further if you take the airport limousine (to Shibuya Excel Hotel), probably another 5 mins walk and need to cross the pedestrian bridge.

Staffs are all very friendly and mostly can speak English fairly well. The breakfast also pretty good especially the western breakfast. Will try and post some photos when i have some time.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2009

I chose the hotel because of price and location and was very happy with the choice. The staff was attentive, rooms were small but comfortable, with nice beds and high speed internet.
Breakfast was very tasty at the Cafe' Merry Coco -I also separately tried the French toast and it was delicious!
All in all, I highly recommend it!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank slickricspain
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Yes, the rooms are tiny, and there is no wardrobe so you just keep all your stuff on the floor but there is something incredible pleasant & charming about this hotel. It's "a la French" design, wonderful cafe & its atmosphere, helpful staff, great price & perfect location: we were left with the most pleasant memories of this place and will definitely return any time we're in Tokyo again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mindaugas
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Hotel Sakura Fleur Aoyama has a great location in on the Shibuya/Aoyama border, about a 5 minute walk from Shibuya Station, and 20 minutes to Omotesando Dori. Train and subway connections from Shibuya Station will take you anywhere you need to go in Tokyo, although there is plenty to keep you occupied in the immediate Shibuya/Aoyama/Harajuku/Meiji-jingu Mae area. I actually used to live just across the street from the hotel a few years ago, and the area is a fantastic base for a first-time or return visitor to Tokyo.

As some others have pointed out, you will need to walk uphill on Miyamasuzaka (road) and then cross an elevated pedestrian bridge to reach the Hotel Sakura Fleur Aoyama. If you are there in the summertime, this can be a pretty unpleasant (and sweaty) introduction to the heat and humidity of Tokyo. Although I am originally from Florida, and we had been accustomed to lugging around large backpacks for several months already, it was still pretty exhausting, especially if you have just flown into Japan. It should be easier if you have a roller suitcase.

What we weren’t accustomed to, as backpackers, was the rather cold welcome and similar subsequent treatment we received from the hotel staff. I can only chalk this up to the fact that our sweaty faces and large backpacks were deemed to be out of place at Sakura Fleur Aoyama. My husband and I are both professionals in our mid-30’s, and we like to think that we are responsible and courteous even when on holiday. The attitude of the staff was a bit of a disappointment for me, as I have stayed in places all over Japan (ranging from the luxury Okura Hotel to hostels and family-run ryokan) and have never had anything other than friendly and helpful service from staff.

Rooms are tiny, and I don’t mean just European-sized: they are itty-bitty Japanese tiny. The floor map indicates that there are different-sized double rooms, so ask if there are any larger rooms available when you check in as they vary. There are no closets or other storage space, so we soon had every available inch of floorspace covered by our bags and shopping purchases (big summer sales in Japan are irresistible!). You should bear in mind the small size of the rooms if you are visiting Tokyo during the rainy season, as it can be pretty claustrophobic if you are stuck in your room all day.

There is a small desk with free internet hookup if you have brought a laptop – no wifi though. There is also a small fridge handy for stashing drinks and milk for coffee. The kettle in the room takes ages to boil, so start it up well before you actually want a drink. Tea is provided, although not coffee – we just bought some instant coffee from the convenience store next door for use.

The bathroom reminded me of a cruiseship cabin – elevated from the rest of the room with molded plastic fittings. In keeping with the theme, the bathroom is also tiny and only able to accommodate one person at a time. It didn’t really bother us, but I can see how it could become less comfortable over a longer stay.

At approx $110 a night, the price was actually pretty reasonable for that part of Tokyo. Being able to walk out your front door into some of the most interesting neighborhoods in Tokyo makes the small rooms bearable, at least for short stays. Unfortunately, the staff weren’t in any hurry to go out of their way to provide top service. When I realized I had left behind an item of sentimental value in our room, the Sakura Fleur Aoyama staff was not at all helpful with any assistance in returning the item. Although we had already left Japan, staff refused to mail the item overseas, even when I offered to pay for shipping costs or arrange a UPS delivery. They even refused to mail the item to friends of ours living in Tokyo, who could have then posted the item to us. When I queried as to why they could not assist me, they repeatedly replied “We just can’t”. I was lucky enough to finally convince one of my Tokyo-based friends to go by the hotel in person to collect my item, but make sure you have everything when you check out, or else you may never see it again.

Some tips for eating nearby:

- Jangara Ramen: located near the end of Omotesando-dori, near Harajuku Station. Delicious ramen with a lively atmosphere – eat upstairs for a bit more peace & quiet (menus in English and several other languages)

- Sakura-tei Okonomiyaki: fantastic okonomiyaki and other grilled foods in a converted art space located in the backstreets of Jingu-mae/Harajuku, very casual. They also do a fixed price all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink (menus in English)

- Uoshin: great seafood izakaya with several branches in Shibuya, Jingu-mae, and elsewhere (I don’t think they have an English menu, but some staff speaks a little bit of English, and you can always just point at what other people are having!)

- Toriyoshi: an upscale, chicken yakitori restaurant with jazz and beautiful Japanese décor. Lots and lots of chicken options, plus great sides and other choices at reasonable prices. Located on the right side of Aoyama Dori as you approach from Shibuya, across the street from Omotosando-dori Crossing, just behind Exit A4 Omotesando Station (English menu)

- Kua ‘Aina Burgers: for those nights when you need a break from noodles, there is a great Hawaiian-style hamburger place just 5 minutes from the Sakura Fleur Aoyama Hotel. First, cross the elevated pedestrian crossing in front of the hotel. Then cross Miyamasuzaka (the other big street to your left), and walk up to the top of Miyamasuzaka (it is on a hill). Turn left and Kua ‘Aina is about a minute down the road on the left hand side. (English menus)

- Anderson bakery: real bread, real pastries, yummy sandwiches………Japanese prices! Fantastic Danish bakery with REAL bread (you will know what I mean once you have experienced the ‘Wonder Bead on hormones’ that passes for Japanese bread) and delicious pastries. I used to buy all of my bread here when I lived in Tokyo. Great for a break when you are exploring Aoyama, but very expensive for what it is. It is located on Aoyama Dori, just across the street from the Omotesando-dori Crossing. (Self serve)

Further details and maps for all of the above places to eat can be found on www.bento.com, or by searching the web.

All in all, I might stay at Sakura Fleur Aoyama again for a short stay simply because the location cannot be beat. But for those looking for a real degree of comfort or service, I might consider elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Crickett28
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I didn't think to find a nice hotel like it in the hearth of Tokyo. It is pacefull but if you walk 5 minutes you have the Shibuya day and nightlife tation and everything you want. Reception very good, they try to help you everytime. They don't speak english very well but it's the same problem everywhere you go! i. And at last the staff of this hotel is able to help you for every problem!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family