“MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Toronto, Canada
“MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I saw the reviews here and decided to give it a try.
I originally booked it for 4 days, and after 2 days I had to canceled it and stay somewhere else. I travel to Tokyo twice a year and this hotel is by far the worst one.

1. It is literally a HIGH SCHOOL RESIDENCE. The guests are NOT allowed to invite anyone to their room. All things need to be discussed in the lobby. If I saw this before I booked, I wouldn't have gone to the hotel. Sorry I am an adult, I can decide what I want to do in my hotel room. I have stayed at more than 80 hotels worldwide, this was the first time I experienced this.

2. The room was very dated for 10000 yen/night. The interior was actually like a motel in North American standard. The wallpaper was PEELING! Which, with only 2000 yen more, you can stay at other hotels in the same area that are CLEANER and NEWER. Not trying to advertise, but feel free check out either Granbell or City hotel.

3.The receptionists were pushy. They force you to give them your key when you go out. Even if it was a 30 sec corner store visit. All I wanted was to buy a bottle of juice.The corner store was RIGHT BESIDE the hotel.

4. It is 8 min walk from Shibuya station. If you carry heavy luggage there will be a lot of stairs ; no elevator/escalator.

5. There is NO internet. They lied to me. The website lied as well. You will read all the rules of their hotel when you take the elevator.

Really,
If you need to feel like a 16 year-old school girl again please go ahead stay here. I personally don't have time for this BS. Next time I am paying 1000-2000 yen ( US$20 ) more for better service and environment.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
12 Thank informationdesign

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hongkong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

The hotel is close to stations, but you need to walk a little uphills and cross the road by footbridge.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

As cheap as you're likely to find in central Tokyo, but no compromise on service. Staff are friendly, helpful and speak good English. Location is great. Beds are comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We, as in me and my mother stayed in the Sakura Fleur Aoyama Hotel for five days during July. Firstly we need to say that we are Japanese, and that we came back (from China) for a while in order to go to a Japanese summer-school for those five days.
The hotel Sakura Fleur Aoyama Hotel was a conbination of well-serviced and a good-looking hotel.

-Staff Service-
Let's start by explaining the the staff. When I will leave the hotel to go and study for a day, the lobby-staff would always say 'Have a nice day', or 'Welcome back' when we came back to the hotel to rest. I've never seen a hotel as such where they would greet hotel guests as heartly as that every time we would leave the hotel. Mostly hotel staff would say those things only when we check-in or check-out of the hotel. At first I was slightly surprised there weren't any foreign hotel staff even though I've heard there were many foreigners staying at the hotel. After a while, I heard one of the hotel staff speaking English with foreign guests, but I was surprised at the skills and the pronounciation of the language. This is just one evidence to show that there were only skilled and trained hotel staff. Also, we were surprised how quickly they would respond to a request as in when we asked for another table-lamp, they brought it up without having us to wait. I thought the staff were excellent.

-Room-
We stayed at a double room, 15 meters squared. The room was very clean and tidy, but I thought the room is slightly small and there should've been more cloth hanger to the room. Once we opened the door, you can see the bed room and the door leading to the unit-bathroom. The bed room consisted of one double bed, one desk, one refrigerator, one television (only Japanese programs) one chair, and one bed-side table. Our wall-paper was red with flower marks on it and it was pretty eye-catching when I entered the room the first time. The television was located on the right hand side of the studying table, and a fridge under that. You neeeded to take a step up to go to the bathroom, so I thought it would be a little dangerous when you would wake up at night to go to the bathroom. The bathroom was clean, very clean actually, but the bathtub took quite a long time for it to be filled with water, so I took shower instead. The lavatory has a washlet with warm seats. Overall, the room made me think of an old castle in downtown Shibuya.

-Location and Surroundings-
The closest station to the hotel is Shibuya, but it is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the station. I liked how it is not as loud and soundful because it wasn't located in the hearts of Shibuya downtown, however it was a bit tiring how we had to go up the hill every time we went back to the hotel. But because it was located a little far from downtown Shibuya, it is possible to walk from the hotel to many other places, such as Harajuku and Omote-sando. However I thought more should be done to the cleaness of the overpass infront of the hotel. The overpass is where most travellers need to pass in order to get to the hotel, but we noticed that it was very unclean. There were cigarette trash, empty coffee bottle and a broken umbrella left on the floor of the overpass. Foreigners travelling to Japan for the first time would have an impression of Japan as 'unclean and untidy' if they would see that flyover. I'm not saying the hotel should clean it, as it is not the hotel's property, but I thought they should've called the ward office to get it cleaned. Additionaly, there was a convenience store right next to the hotel so you can buy some snacks and drinks there. However this place only sells Japanese newspaper, so I think you would have to go to 'Seven-Eleven' by crossing the road if you want 'The Japan Times' (An English newspaper printed in Japan)

-Restaurant-
Our room rate included two meals; breakfast and dinner. The one restaurant there was in the hotel was 'Merry Coco' Breakfast included of the following;
1. Merry Coco Breakfast - A choice from scrambled eggs or sunny-side-up with bread and salad
2. Continental Breakfast - Same as the Merry Coco Breakfast but without the eggs
3. French Toast Breakfast - I had this one day, and this was recommendable. It is consisted of French Toast (of course) and some side dishes, but I thought this was one of the best dish in the menu.
4. Kisch Breakfast - Consisting of Kisch (a pie with egg and other vegetables) and the same side dish; This was also one of the things I had. Very recommendable.
5. Japanese Rice Porridge Breakfast - Porrige, Japanese Pickles, Fish. I thought this was the healthiest dish in the restaurant.
There are variety of drinks that you can serve for yourself, with some interestind drinks such as; blueberry-black vinegar drink. I had it and it was all right.
As for dinner, there are five sorts of good tasting meat dishes; Steak, Roast beef, Japanese Beef Curry, Japanese Pork Curry or Hamburger Steak. I had steak, roast beef and hamburger steak during my stay, and all of them were well-tasting. They all had fried potatoes (or mushed potatoes if you have roast beef) but the staff changed the fried potato side dish with a salad once one of us asked if we could change them into a salad. I was also surprised with their flexibility amongst guest's requests.

Overall, I believe Sakura Fleur Aoyama Hotel is a hotel where each guest is cared heartly and that gave a great impression to myself.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Enough to sleep.

• Stayed August 2010
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

This is a good find. At the crossroads of Shibuya and Omotesando. You hardly need to get on a train as it is walking distance to everything in vibrant Shibuya, Omotesando and Harajuku. It is on a non-descript throroughfare but the location makes up for it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rate which includes breakfast is worth considering as the breakfast is quite delicious, generous and a good range to choose from. There is a special deal on Sun and Mon nights where the normal room rate also includes dinner.

The rooms are small, and a tad tired but clean and have all you need, including free internet access etc. There are no laundry facilities.

Remeber, this is Tokyo, location is more imoortant than anything else, especially as transport is not so cheap in Japan.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank barbaradesu
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stayed in this hotel for about 10 days and i was staying in the blue room.. This hotel is pretty good location, about 10 mins walk from Shibuya train station. It's just a little further if you take the airport limousine (to Shibuya Excel Hotel), probably another 5 mins walk and need to cross the pedestrian bridge.

Staffs are all very friendly and mostly can speak English fairly well. The breakfast also pretty good especially the western breakfast. Will try and post some photos when i have some time.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business