“Small but comfy hotel with had everything we needed”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Japan
“Small but comfy hotel with had everything we needed”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed in the annex part of the building in the back and it was fine. Nice view from 7th floor. Top marks for location, Shibuya is an amazing place to explore. Very easy to find if you follow the directions on the website. Breakfast was nothing special but the espresso was good. Good atmosphere in the pizza/bar restaurant, we didn't try the other one in back. The staff was nice and their English was very good - we live in a part of Japan where hardly anyone speaks English so we really appreciate Tokyo for that. And the shopping :)

Room Tip: Get a non-smoking, higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We found this hotel to be very convenient to everything - Shibuya station, restaurants, shopping, Shibuya station…

From Shibuya station, you have to go over the overpass to get to the other side. There are lifts to take you up so you don't have to haul your luggage up the stairs, however note that the lift shuts at 10pm. Staff were friendly when we checked in late at night. There were no big signs to the hotel so you could easily miss it. We found it because a passerby stopped to help us and googled on his phone where the hotel was (look out for a big white square structure at the front). The front entrance/door to the hotel is pretty cool!

We went mid March and it was still chilly. The room was well heated, too well in fact that it got hot in the middle of the night. It would be useful if English instructions were provided for the air con. We left the air con off for 2 nights which didn't bother us.

The room we had was small but ok for 2 people with medium size suitcases and some carry on. The bed was comfortable and the room was a little dark. We were staying for 5 nights but as we're only sleeping in the room and would be out all day (sometimes until 11-12pm), we didn't need an overly large room. We were on the third floor and looked out onto a street where you could see passerbys. You could not hear any outside noise or trains or traffic.

Japanese tv was fun to watch but we wanted to watch some English speaking programs too, especially staying for 5 nights.

Breakfast was nice, there is a Japanese and Western menu. We had the Japanese breakfast most days and it was nice: rice, miso soup, packed seaweed, seasoning, mackerel, tofu, preserved radish to name a few. The Japanese menu was the same most days, i.e. mackerel was served each day, so we would have liked a change (when you eat the same breakfast for 5 days, it loses it's appeal). The Western was a bit average (ham and salad with a few other side dishes).

Shibuya Granbell is also close to a 7Bank ATM (7Eleven bank) for travellers wanting to withdraw cash out.

All in all, we would recommend this for anyone wanting to stay in Shibuya. It is very conveniently located in a quiet street to everything you could possibly want :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank miaoumiaou81
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Shibuya Granbell was well priced & located (about 5mins walk from the huge Shibuya Station).

However, it is worth noting that if you're hauling luggage from the station, you will need to navigate 2 lots of stairs on the overpass that links the station to the hotel side of the road. As I'd arrived via limousine bus, which drops off at Cerulean this wasn't an issue, as it's literally 2mins around the corner.

I'd booked a premiere twin, knowing how small Japanese hotel rooms can be ... and frankly because it wasn't that much more expensive. I'm glad I did, as it was really spacious - plenty of room for 2 people & luggage ... plus lots of hanging space. It's also the only hotel I've stayed at in Japan that had an in-room safe.

The bathroom was also very roomy; with separate shower & bath.

As to the downsides, which ultimately have lowered my rating [as I just didn't find my stay at all restful]. The bed was really uncomfortable; I didn't have one night of uninterrupted sleep because the mattress discomfort literally woke me up each night.

As did the room heating ... even with the in-room air conditioner turned off, there must have still been some filtering in from the stifling common hall. The only way to get some relief was by opening the window for a while, which thankfully Japanese hotels still allow (its pretty much extinct in other countries).

Overall - good value & location, but not sure I'd book again as a good nights sleep is pretty important after big days spent walking around Tokyo !

Room Tip: The Premiere Twin is very roomy; would easily fit 2 or more large bags. I was on the 9th floor; no...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LeoDaVinci
Aomori, Japan
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed in this little hotel for four nights, and while the location was very good and the price modest, I would never go here again.

During my stay, I noticed that there was a laundry service mentioned on the paper they give you at check in, and that there were plastic laundry bags available in the desk drawer of the room. Since I was staying for some time, I decided to send a few things down: just a pair of pants and a few shirts and socks. I brought the laundry down to the front desk in the morning, the guy said ok, and they called me up around 8pm that night to pick it all up. No problem.

Upon check out, however, they suddenly inform me that I owe ¥5,400 (about $53) for the laundry service, and I was shocked. I'm 100% confident that there was no mention of any price for the laundry service on anything in the check in materials or room, something which the lady at reception did not dispute. Maybe I have strange expectations, but I think that before a merchant can charge you money for something, they should alert you as to what the price is likely to be--or at the very least that there is a price. That way the customer knows he or she is entering into a commercial transaction. This hotel did neither, and that strikes me as sleazy and dishonest, not to mention unfair. If I knew the laundry wasn't free like the coffee or bottled water they give you, I wouldn't have used it. All they had to do was put a few words in the check in materials or the room somewhere that the laundry service costs money, that's all.

If I had had a bit more Japanese and wasn't in such a hurry at the time, I would have refused to pay and argued with them about it, since ¥5,400 is a lot of money to me (especially for a small load of laundry!).  But as it was, I paid them and resolved never to go there again.  Who knows what else they might secretly decide costs several thousand yen.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank kmp1776
Singapore
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel is conveniently located just 3 minutes walk from Shibuya station and shopping district. It is surrounded by lots of eating places, convenient stores and even a hair salon.

The staff speaks English, and the room, although a bit small, is functional. I had a very restful sleep on the bed. Very nice and comfortable.

I would definitely go back to stay at the Granbell again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Great hotel highly recommend it and will come back for my next trip.

The rooms are small, but the bed is extremely comfy and the bathroom is very clean. Great heater aswell.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and could all speak perfect English

There is a small bar attached to the hotel. Great spot to start a night out.

5min walk to the heart of shibuya and train station.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank mariewhite
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stay in this hotel for 1 night.

Hotel is strategically located.. 5min walking distance from shibuya train station and other attractions.. surrounded by cafes and shops...

Hotel staff is awesome!! Very helpful and speak English.

Room were abit small but very cosy...

Breakfast was nice.. we opt for the japanese set breakfast

Definitely will return to stay again!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,204 reviews
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Hotel Century Southern Tower
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!