“Cool boutique hotel, central location in Shibuya”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I decided to try this hotel after reading some of the reviews here.
I booked a single room on the hotel webstie at a rate of 11,000 Yen per night. After checking in, I found myself in a tiny, suffocating room. There was no space to turn around, no storage space for luggage, and no desk to work or even open the laptop. Nice details, but too small to be true! Thus, for only 3,500 Yen per night I upgraded to a Double Room, single use. The room was larger, with one desk plus a round table, queen size bed, storage space for clothes. Overall feelins is that the hotel is clean, modern, sleek and service very attentive. Staff was very polite - not a surprise in Japan.
Breakfast was OK, nothing special. There are several coffee shops and bars around, so you could always choose something else.
I wouldn't recommend the single room, it is really small. OK, this is Japan, but it doesn't mean you have to suffocate in a 10 square meter room for 150 USD per night. I would definitively recommend the double room instead.
In regards to the location, the hotel seats right in the heart of Shibuya, plenty of options in terms of shopping, dining and clubbing. You won't get bored in this area of Tokyo!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank emirhk

Reviewed 21 January 2009

Very hip, modern and very comfortable boutique hotel about 3 blocks from Shibuya Station. I paid about $140 for a nice double, separate shower and separate toilet - all very modern and hip. Solid breakfast, either western or Japanese, included with coffee/tea/juice.

Very comfortable and boutique with yukata that are kind of an westernized version, and very high quality.

Overall, this place was very reasonable, hip, modern, and I thought a good value just off of Shibuya central in an area with lots of great Japanese and mix of restaurants and bars.

Free broadband in room.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Excellent value, stylish, well-located, well-insulated, mid-price hotel. Nice japanese breakfast options. Cosy bar area. Rooms are small: half the space is taken up by the bathroom. Little space for storing clothes. But strongly recommended.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My husband and I travel a lot. Since we moved away from Japan a couple of years ago, we need to find a good place to stay when we went back visit our friends there
I did a lot of research to find a nice petite hotel..we both were very happy that we made a right decision to choose this one. Hotels in Tokyo were mostly super tiny and the rate is not cheap...you don't expect what was inside the room..cause they would look mostly very alike despite which business hotel you stay with. We found out this hotel is a lot more better then we expected
we stayed in [premiere double] room which is relatively more space than the single ones. I love their interior design a lot..
nice shower room..and a sepereate good bathtab..which is not easy to find good one in Tokyo.
The location is great...few mins walking distance from Shibuya Station. we also went to Tokyu Department to buy some super yummy cakes there..trust me...you really want to visit there once...we bought two back to the hotel..had a nice afternoon tea in our room.
Their staff were very helpful...we had great time there..will definitely stay with them when we go back..

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Stylish and reasonably priced. This hotel; was in a great location for everything. Little difficult to get large bags from the station to the hotel due to the overpass, but that is the only draw back. Great restaurants nearby and yummy breakfasts everyday.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Absolutely awesome location - a really short walk from the West Exit of the Shibuya Station, and Shibuya is a great base in Tokyo.

I had a single non-smoking room and there certainly wasn't room to swing a cat, but I didn't mind as I only had a backpack and really only needed a bed to sleep on. The bathroom is enclosed in glass to let in the light, and it was well appointed with awesome water pressure. If you were planning to squeeze a second person into the slightly-larger-than-normal single bed, hopefully you won't mind watching them shower.

Service was fine, but I didn't do anything more than check in and check out. I didn't ask any questions regarding sight seeing etc. so I can't comment on that.

If you're anything like me you look for some clear directions in Trip Advisor reviews to find hotels, so here's some directions you might find helpful. A quick look on Google Earth helps as well!

I grabbed the NEX / Suica option to get from Narita (a great deal). As it was an early trip in, I had to change from the Narita Express to Yamanote at Shinagawa, which is a smaller station so getting from one line to the other was a breeze.

When you get to Shibuya, make your way to the West Exit. Plenty of signs point the way. When you exit, you'll face a number of bus stops - head left past the toilets and straight up the stairs which go across the road but below the overpass. Keep walking and head down the stairs in front of you. You'll walk along the road which has the red paving leading out of it. A short walk along this road will lead to an intersection - walk up the hill on the road which has the circular paving (it's on the right). The hotel is about 20 metres on the left.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Steve4750
Reviewed 14 July 2008

The Granbell Hotel is a small, chic, boutique-y hotel in the heart of Shibuya. The hotel is super clean (wouldn't expect anything less from Japan) and the receptionists are polite and courteous. I stayed in the smallest room, and it is small but comfortable. Not much room to spread out, but if you're looking for a great place to crash, but don't want to stay in a hostel, this is a great find. Plus it's value for the money. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008