“A mod hotel with great service and an excellent location.”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Sacramento, California
“A mod hotel with great service and an excellent location.”
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I stayed here during a 3-week trip to Japan. We stayed here for four nights. My sister joined us for a leg of the journey and stayed in a single room in this hotel.

The rooms are very small, so this isn’t a good choice for groups or families. Most of the people staying in the hotel are businessmen, solo travelers, or couples. The restaurant just outside of the hotel (Pop) provides the room service and is truly awful, especially if you’re used to American cuisine. We ate at the restaurant (not room service) once after a long night. We didn’t eat at the hotel restaurant except for breakfast.

The hotel décor is sort of pop art/mod and the rooms efficiently use space. This is a big deal staying in Tokyo. The hotel staff was very helpful in helping us to make dinner reservations and the morning continental breakfast was pretty standard for Japan.

The location is a couple of blocks from the Shibuya crossing, making it an easy walk to Shibuya and to the train/subway station. It turned out to be a good base for getting around in Tokyo. I usually try to stay in an area of town with nightlife, so that I can easily walk or take a cab back to the hotel late at night. For getting around the city, staying near the Shibuya or Shinjuku stations makes it pretty easy and there is plenty to do at night.

The hotel isn’t cheap, but it is Tokyo. I chose this hotel because of the location and price. If I were going back to Shibuya, I would definitely stay at Granbell Hotel.

Pros:
Location (just outside of Shibuya station)
Interior décor
Helpful staff

Cons:
Small rooms
Expensive, but reasonable for neighborhood. Cheaper places to stay in Tokyo, but not many of them in Shibuya.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank holidaybowl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2009

This is a great little hotel in a very convenient location a short walk from Shibuya Station. The hotel is located in the quieter part of Shibuya up a bit of a hill but nothing too bad and surrounded by some nice small restaurants. I only stayed here for two nights as my plans changed and couldn’t get a room at the hotel I had booked for the remainder of my stay in Tokyo. I stayed here in early September 2008 and it appeared that the construction mentioned in previous reviews had finished as when I checked in I was told I would be the first guest in the room I was given. Room 611 was bright and small but I was expecting that, everything was nice and fresh as you would expect with it being brand new. Despite the room being tiny it was really nice and had everything I needed for a two night stay, comfortable double bed but due to the size of the room it can only be accessed from one side as the other three sides are up against the wall which gives you an idea of the length of the room. Great glass enclosed shower room with a fantastic shower with both a rainhead shower and handheld shower and a very high tech automated washlet which to my surprise had the seat pre-heated. The shower room is exposed to the bedroom but does have a curtain that you can pull across for privacy, but given the size of the room I doubt it would be suitable for two people and if it was they would probably not be concerned about privacy. I paid 10,400 Yen per night and at the time the Australian $ was above 95 yen to the dollar which made the hotel great value for Tokyo. Unlike some other hotels I have stayed at in Tokyo this hotel had a nice outlook from the room looking back towards Shibuya Station, nothing outstanding but better than a brick wall a metre away like in some. The staff were very helpful and was able to check in a little before the normal check in time. The lobby isn’t very big and isn’t one designed to spend any time in like some, there is a café/bar at the front on street level which I didn’t use. The rate I booked didn’t include breakfast but for some reason I was given a voucher for breakfast on one day which was taken in the hotel restaurant on the first floor, It is not a buffet style as in most hotels but rather a choice of three or four set menus and don’t assume like I did that half boiled egg was a misprint for hard boiled egg, it is actually only half cooked. The room had a full set of amenities, shampoo, razor, toothbrush, small fridge, free internet access nice little LCD TV, safe big enough for a laptop but strangely located in a drawer with an opening top. There isn’t much room for suitcases or clothes just a few hooks on the wall to hang a few things and your suitcases will be on display all the time. There is a ledge under the window which came in handy for putting a few things on and there is a small cupboard under the window that has a small folding stool in it for a visitor I guess.

The only odd thing about the hotel was that in the corridor on my floor there was a very strong smell, not unpleasant and in the end I pit it down to the new construction that had just been completed it was kind of like a new car smell, but probably well and truly gone by now.

Overall I think this is a terrific hotel in a great location and if you want more room they do have bigger rooms available at bigger prices. One of the great things about Japanese hotels is that they do seem to have a variery of room sizes with corresponding prices so if you want to save money you can stay in a small room and pay a smaller price.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank minicooperdownunder
Nottingham
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Stayed here for 1 night. A lovely, quirky hotel, very modern, with smallish rooms but plenty big enough for your suitcases and room to move around. The bathrooms are glass surrounded so remember to pull the curtain round if you want privacy! The bathrooms have the usual compliment of toiletries and are very clean with a lovely shower. The staff were lovely - they booked a restaurant for us and gave us good directions to all sorts of attractions. You can leave your bags with them when you check out. 2 good bars at front and back of hotel with decent prices. Located close to the station - slightly inconvenient for wheeling suitcases as you have to cross a bridge but no big deal. Breakfast is ok - not brilliant but enough to fill you up. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelpony
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 5 March 2009

My gf & I stayed two nights. We had 48 hours to experience essential Tokyo during a long layover on way to Australia. I did much research and chose Shibuya / Granbell as being "on the grid" of the Yamanote Line which would take us to the top10 attractions we'd have time to see. Their staff was very helpful answering my many emailed questions in advance. I paid them extra to have a bouquet of local flowers waiting in the room and they did great. We got non-smoking Comfort Deluxe double for 14700/16800 yen which was awesome deal & we did it by watching occupancy on website and waiting till 15 days before, when the price dropped because they still had vacancy. Risky strategy & worked for us in Feb offseason during global financial meltdown; YMMV. We took limo bus from Narita which was fairly cheap and direct, but be sure to have a copy of the Cerulean-to-Granbell map as the final 4 blocks are not obvious and nobody speaks English. The Granbell is very close to Shibuya station and the JR Yamanote line worked great for us to hit top10 attractions -- just bring cash 'cause our American VISA was not accepted and many ATM's in area wouldn't take our card; eventually we found 7-11 AMT that worked; you might wanna get cash at airport. We did all-day passes for JR and that worked great. Breakfast was comforting, good, all-you-can-eat. We stayed in annex and room was surprisingly large after reading reviews here but also we were in Comfort Double. Electric bidet toilet is an eye-opener. During day we shared an elevator ride with a classy pretty but yes-for-sure-you're-a-call-girl worker. Some ppl are bothered by that and yes it is there. Internet used a cable, was fast, free, no problems with it. USA-style working outlet available in our room for laptop. Desk had 24/7 staff available. Building felt very secure, safe, good neighborhood. When flying out, we took Yamanote Line to Ueno and the Kesei Limited Express from there to airport 'cause by then we were experts.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank disabled05
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Personal little boutique hotel close to the Shibuya station. Nice design everywhere from bathroom knobs to the front door (where's the handle?). Single rooms are small, only 12 square metres, but comfortable. Not much services – there's vending machines for snacks and drinks at the reception and just one or two person at the counter. Breakfast is decent, served at the trendy bar downstairs. The shuttle bus to/from the airport stops at the nearby Cerulean Tower.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I decided to try this hotel after reading some of the reviews here.
I booked a single room on the hotel webstie at a rate of 11,000 Yen per night. After checking in, I found myself in a tiny, suffocating room. There was no space to turn around, no storage space for luggage, and no desk to work or even open the laptop. Nice details, but too small to be true! Thus, for only 3,500 Yen per night I upgraded to a Double Room, single use. The room was larger, with one desk plus a round table, queen size bed, storage space for clothes. Overall feelins is that the hotel is clean, modern, sleek and service very attentive. Staff was very polite - not a surprise in Japan.
Breakfast was OK, nothing special. There are several coffee shops and bars around, so you could always choose something else.
I wouldn't recommend the single room, it is really small. OK, this is Japan, but it doesn't mean you have to suffocate in a 10 square meter room for 150 USD per night. I would definitively recommend the double room instead.
In regards to the location, the hotel seats right in the heart of Shibuya, plenty of options in terms of shopping, dining and clubbing. You won't get bored in this area of Tokyo!

• Liked — Clean, modern, comfortable
  • Disliked — Single rooms are too small! Get the doube rooms instead!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank emirhk
CA
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Very hip, modern and very comfortable boutique hotel about 3 blocks from Shibuya Station. I paid about $140 for a nice double, separate shower and separate toilet - all very modern and hip. Solid breakfast, either western or Japanese, included with coffee/tea/juice.

Very comfortable and boutique with yukata that are kind of an westernized version, and very high quality.

Overall, this place was very reasonable, hip, modern, and I thought a good value just off of Shibuya central in an area with lots of great Japanese and mix of restaurants and bars.

Free broadband in room.

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Dormy inn Premium Shibuya Jingumae
Shibuya Tobu Hotel
Shibuya Tobu Hotel
#7 of 28 in Shibuya

Been to Shibuya Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!