Shibuya Granbell Hotel
US$185
US$131
Official Website
  • Restaurant
Sakura Hotel Hatagaya(Shibuya)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$116
US$105
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrain showerjapanese breakfastgreat locationrooms are smallsingle roombreakfast was includedpedestrian overpassbed was very comfortableopen the windowminute walkoverhead bridgethe ground floortrain stationquiet areawestern stylerestaurants and barsexplore tokyo
Reviewed 2 May 2010

HIGHS:
- Great location.
- Modern design.
- Confortable beds.
- Great bathrooms.

LOWS:
- The worst hotel breakfast we have ever had. We took the Continental.
The omelette looked like it was made the day before as well as the cuts of the ham, all dried... It tastes like airplane food, cooked hours before... We wonder if they have a kitchen... They didn't even have some milk... incredible.
- Common areas need painting, carpet replacement,... not very well kept.
- A bit more cleaning.
- Lack of a sitting area. They do have a bar, but not from the hotel.
- Breakfast room is not as designed as the rest of the hotel, no taste at all.

TIPS:
- For a bit more money, ask for the Superior Twin room, is worth the extra money you pay.
High celings having a deep sensation of space, located at the topfloor by the suites. There is just one Premier twin. Look at the pictures I attached.

After the Shibuya Granbell stay, we slept at the Ginza Mitsui Garden. Almost same price, but much more well kept, better design, incredible views... also by a subway station. Better value.

Even though, if you like Shibuya, you won't find a better design hotel in this area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Fileta
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Don't get me wrong, the room was tiny (the first morning I woke up, swung my feet off the bed and stepped right into my husband's suitcase) ... but, larger than expected. No TV in Engish, which was fine because we were never in the room. Breakfast is included but not good. Service was either fabulous (they helped a lot with reservations) or difficult due to language barrier. But, overall, we're glad we stayed here because it didn't cost a fortune compared to other places and the location was great. We walked 3 minutes to the Metro every day. We also kept a blog about our visit, with other suggestions: http://thedelowes.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/tokyo-japan/

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

My friend and I each had our own (adjacent) singles. Simply put: the rooms are tiny. In the single rooms, there's not even room to put your stuff. No closet, and limited floor space. But, it was cheap, and it was nice to have our own space, regardless of the size.

The hotel itself is both quaint and funky. Pretty low frills, but it's modern and they do well with the space they have. The location was great. It's on the other side of the main intersection as most of what you want to do in Shibuya, so you're constantly using the overpass stairs to get anywhere you'd want to go to. That said, it's all within walking distance, and the neighborhood has a fantastic buzz.

The staff was pleasant and helpful, there was a computer in the (small) lobby.

If you don't need a ton of space, and don't have lots of "stuff", this is a fun and affordable hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Groovy room! We got a semi-double for one night. Loved the glass wall bathroom. Comfortable, firm bed with good reading lights. Breakfast was included with the room. We opted for Japanese (over the Western) - it was good. Fun hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this small hotel (and in Tokyo). It is really well located to the action/transport (and the Airport Limo pickup at the Cerulean) but tucked away enough to give you some peace and quiet. The staff were super friendly and helpful with nothing too much trouble for them. I stayed in one of the modern double rooms which was very comfortable. The bathroom was well stocked with amenities and spotlessly clean as per Tokyo/Japanese standards in general. I wouldn't wish to be spending great lengths of time in the room however and if your are the sort of person that likes to hang out in a room then the Granbell probably isn't the place for you. Free wi-fi was also a plus. Good sized HDTV however a few more cable channels would have been handy. CNN & MTV are all that are on offer in English.

Just a couple of small things. The cafe/bar at the front of the hotel is great for a quick, cheap, tasty lunch but not open til 11. The restaurant on level 2 is average for coffee/breakfast and I chose to eat outside of the hotel each morning which was a bit of a hassle. The breakfast is included so I guess you get what you are given. For dinner / lunch however there are some excellent places to eat around the hotel.

Also, as it is a small hotel and not a five star, dont expect all of the trimmings. No minibar or a porter to help you out with luggage. In respect to this you basically get what you pay for but as long as you are prepared for that then you are aok...I wasn't and I still survived. lol ;)

Example of service: I left a couple of things at the hotel. I emailed them when I got back to Sydney...they got straight back to me after locating them and they emailed a photo of the items for me to confirm visually that they were mine! Amazing...what other country offers that level of professionalism in service.

I liked this hotel alot...but mostly...I just loved Tokyo generally!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo