“Great value with all basic necessities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Hotel Lonestar

City Hotel Lonestar
Ranked #43 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Singapore, Singapore
“Great value with all basic necessities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Our main hotel during our stay in Tokyo. We didn't know how to speak Japanese hence we got a police officer to bring us there :). If we had done out research and landmarks properly, looking for the hotel would have been easy.

We stayed in a double standard room(no smoking). It was a simple room. The size is like most Japanese hotel - adequate for your luggage and a small walking area. For the price and since the room was just meant for sleeping it was good enough. The bed was a double bed - could fit 2 man like me (1.8m) just right.
Free wifi, common hot and cold water dispenser at every level, breakfast was simple and filling (croissant, variety of jams, soft buns, toaster to toast, coffee and tea).
The hotel was also located near convenience shops, some restaurants and a very nice stall that sells wonderful ramen - you can ask for more soup if you still have noodle left. The serving was huge and the soup was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank luffygomomono

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Good economy hotel. Small room with barely enough space for our luggage. The room was non-smoking but smelled like smoke anyway.

The staff was really nice. I ended up losing my rental cell phone in the cab on the way there and they were super helpful with getting it back for us. They went out of their way to be the liason between us and the cab company and we got it back in the end!

There is a beer machine in the lobby and it's close to a lot of small, good looking authentic restaurants, though we didn't try any of them out.

They have wi-fi in the small cafe/lobby/eating nook - which is where, in the morning, they set out a simple breakfast spread. The breakfast was great for us, a few pastries, fruit, soup, coffee and juice.

This is a great place for a quick overnight - like we did - or a business trip. Though we did have a hard time finding it from the station and ended up taking a cab (approx. US $10).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beckside
geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Nice little hotel and great position close to tokyo's gay scene

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank odeyw
Aust
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here twice, in March and then April 2012 for about 4 days. The first time in March, I booked a single non-smoking room. The second time, I booked the deluxe single non-smoking room.

HOTEL ROOMS:
The hotel rooms are very small so I think that they work better for small-ish people (I'm 5'2", 55 kg). It really doesn't work for big people with huge luggages. Also the single rooms tend to face the nightclub which plays music up to 3am if you happen to stay over on a Fri and Sat night. I spoke to the receptionist and the deluxe single rooms face the other way (where it's quieter). Also the bed is slightly bigger for the deluxe single rooms and the rooms are only slightly bigger than a single.

I sleep easily so the loud club music didn't bother too much. Also I only had a small luggage as I live in Japan and come to Tokyo for visits/conferences so it was ok.

LOCATION:
The location is very convenient. It's near the Shinjukusanchome metro station (where 4 lines intersect) and on a good weather day, takes about 10-15 mins to walk to Shinjuku station from the North East exit (it's a nice leisure walk along Shinjuku dori which is closed to cars on Sunday!). I generally stay around the Shinjuku and Shibuya areas when I'm in Tokyo and I think that it's a great location if you are there and plan to go out at night.

The hotel is located in the gay area of Shinjuku and generally I found it to be clean, very safe and as a single small Asian woman, I had no problems with people bothering me when walking on the street. I enjoyed walking around and looking at the shops etc. During the day, there are some interesting places around; a great Indian place and a nice Thai place. It's not too far from Shinjuku dori so you can walk there leisurely where there are banks with international ATM. Also the post office around the corner can be used to withdraw money for international travelers (except on Sundays).

CONS:
I don't recommend this hotel for very big people (you'll find that you will have problems with the shower, bath, luggage space) and families (it can get noisy in the weekends). But the staff were helpful and some spoke English (though I speak Japanese so I didn't have any issues).

Also I notice that the beds are very hard. I am used to sleeping on the floor and on futons so I don't mind hard beds so much but if you care, this may not be for you.

INTERNET:
I used the internet computers in the lobby once and found that the net tends to cut off! I had better luck when I used my laptop (only wired internet) in the rooms. The internet is fast enough and served my purpose for looking up emails, watching youtube videos and checking google maps and where I wanted to go. Japan generally doesn't give wifi access and you'll find that most places have LAN access only.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank mcalex22
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Excellent location but despite the renovations, this is still a basic but clean hotel in the shopping mecca of Shinjuku. OK for its price but have stayed in better hotels in this area. Go to the Citadines Shinjuku instead.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gaschmon
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Staff are very happy to help Not a bad location Right near subway and walking distance to centrel Shinjuku Over all good

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here for 1 night stopover for when we were travelling between Sapporo & Hakone. This hotel is located about 15mins walk from Shinjuku JR station, the hotel is located on a quiet street far from the hustle and bustle of Ikebukuro.

The room was actually very small to our surprise, had you put your suitcase by the corridor of your room you would not have room to walk anymore. Room had all the basic amenities, the bathroom was extremely small as well, lucky for me I was rather small build therefore had no problems, if you were tall, you would probably have to squat down or bend your back when you shower. The bed was rather uncomfortable to sleep on as well, it felt like sleeping on a hard piece of board.

The hotel also as a weird policy of when you go out, you need to leave your room keys at the reception and pick them up again when you return. Not sure why it had to be that way.

The best thing bout this hotel was the free breakfast they offered in the morning which had a fine selection of bread & cereal. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.

Would probably not recommend for long stay and just a short stay and it's extremely small and makes it hard to move your things around the room.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the free breakfast.