“Fantastic upgrade!”

Hundred Stay Tokyo Shinjuku
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a first stop of an extended honeymoon and the room upgrade they gave us was amazing! Absolutely huge, clean and spacious. People on the front desk spoke fantastic English and were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was horrible though- go elsewhere for food.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clairesom

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My son and I spent just over a week at the hotel in mid-October. I chose it because it was close to a train station, even the more basic rooms appeared to be larger than average for Tokyo, and the availability of a fridge and microwave in the room. I'd say we found the hotel to be prretty much as we expected and have rated it on that basis. Having two train stations (with different train lines) a short walk away (and I mean short!) was wonderful! It was far easier to have the option of two small train stations as the starting point for our activities than to have to deal with a huge station like Shinjuku every morning. The Okubo area had the basics in terms of small restaurants and convenience stores, and the Korean influence made it interesting.(I never imagined there were so many different types of kimchi!) We always felt comfortable and safe walking around.

The hotel room itself was a superior twin studio.It was really just a room, not a studio, but had enough space for both of us, as well as ample closet and storage space. There was nothing available above the 11th floor (don't expect an upgrade!) but we still had a nice view of the city. I wouldn't descirbe the staff as friendly but they were courteous and efficient. I will note that the reservation I made included daily housekeeping service. When we checked in we were told about the every 3 day service. I politely pointed out that this is not what we were expecting and they accomodated us. (Not that we aren't eco-friendly but with two of us I really wanted to have the room straightened up every day.)
Other pros: free laundry; little grocery store a few steps away; the small kitchenette with dishes and utensils for breakfast; comfortable beds; good AC
Cons: very frustrating to not have wifi in the rooms; spartan, dorm-room appearance to the rooms; breakfast disappointing (although the young woman who looked after the breakfast area was very sweet and obviously a hard worker); 10:00am checkout too early

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel has a supermarket on the first floor, great for longer stays! It's not the most convenient spot, but it's <5 minutes walking to the train station, and only 1 stop away from Shinjuku, the biggest hub of Tokyo.
The rooms (especially the suites!!!!!) are all great, but if you get an upgrade, you will love the view!
This hotel has a free breakfast, but I'd advise skipping it, the lines are crazy and it's always cold cereal, fruit, and stale bread. Just go to the supermarket next door.
Gym gym gym- This is one of the few hotels with a free gym included in the booking rate. Other places charges $20+/day for a gym visit. The facilities are limited, a few free weights, a couple treadmills, but still better than nothing.

Room Tip: Splurge on the upgraded room, the view is worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hotels across Tokyo have rooms too small for family. After a lot of research I chose this hotel and I am so glad that I found it at the right time.
As mentioned at website, the Hotel is just 2 mins ride from Okubo Station, next to Shinjuku Station.
My room was upgraded and rooms are neat and clean.
From top floors you can get superb view of Tokyo City and its definitely an add on feature.
Breakfast has fixed menu and is just OK.

Room Tip: Book the room from Hotel's website only, not other website will ever be able to match that price...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rajeevmahatma
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our daughter had stayed here in December 2010 and had highly recommended it. We followed her lead and were not disappointed.

We booked a one bedroom apartment with a kitchenette which was just fine for a bit of local cooking when we needed to. The accommodation floors start at Level 13, so the views of the Shinjuku skyline are fantastic from virtually every room. We stayed on level 13 and I've included a photo from our window.

Hundred Stay is perfectly located, being easy working distance from two JR stations (Okubo and Shin-Okobu) which gives you access to two different JR lines.

Other reviews have mentioned how the place needs a bit of a spruce-up internally, which while true, did not detract significantly from our enjoyment. And yes, the included breakfast is pretty basic, but it gets you going.

Free WiFi was only available in the lobby / breakfast room when we stayed, but I just noticed today (28 October) from their Facebook page that Hundred Stay have now introduced free Wifi throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Definitely not a hotel, but a little more than a mere residence. The Hundred Stay was clean and comfy, with enough water pressure to hose an elephant clean. I had a picturesque view of Tokyo, providing me with a handful of beautiful time-lapses I'll be using in a film.

As clean as it was, it could use some fresh paint to touch up scuffs on the walls and doors. Yes, I'm nitpicking, but if you insist on a real complaint it would have to be the breakfast which was seriously lacking. We were also disappointed when we asked for a late check out (since it's 10am here) and were told no. We finally did get an extra hour, but it was like pulling teeth to get the guy at the front desk to budge. Also a bit of a pain the wi-fi is only available in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights in September to celebrate my birthday. Easy to get to by JR although subway is about a 10 minute walk which is still fine.
Hotel itself was clean, staff were friendly and accommodating when we wanted to stay an extra night, and offered us alternatives to get a cheaper deal.
The room we stayed in was average, comfortable and spacious but had numerous stains scattered around the floor/curtains which wasn't the nicest to see. Kitchenette supplies everyhing you need to cook yourself. The view was beautiful, definitely request a room above the 15th floor as looking out to Tokyo at night is worth it.
Breakfast here is very minimal, good for filling you up but not much more than that.
Overall, good experience. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013