“Well located in quiet location - 15min walk to centre of town”

Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A group of 5 of us stayed here in March 14, 3 adults in one room and 2 in another. Hotel is located about 15mins walk from Shinjuku main train station. From here it costs approx $10 for a day pass on the JR network if planning to visit other areas, Shibuya etc. The rooms we had had a very small kitchenette with a bar fridge and small cooktop. One room had a small sofa and other one was converted into a 3rd bed. The bathroom was very small but functional. We had breakfast there one morning which cost YEN6700/$7 and consisted of various breads, a couple of serials, scrambled eggs and sausages and filtered coffee. For our meals we found some niece places to eat (which are everywhere)on the first street on the left as you exit the hotel and turn left. We walked from the hotel to the Golden Gai and red light district which took around 20 mins. It was very safe but be wary of the Nigerians trying to lure you into their clubs. For a drink in a very intimate i.e. small setting goto the Golden Gai area which consists of several small alleyways with around 200 tiny bars seating from 6-10 people. We enjoyed our visit to the Albatross bar but be aware foreigners are not welcome at all the bars. Overall with the Citadines close, but not too close proximity to the main area we found this a great place to stay. There is also a 7/11 and Lawsons a few doors down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank adamazzo

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Yes, the room is small, but totally comparable in size if you've been to a standard room in London or NYC. It may have even seemed a bit larger than in those two cities.
The hotel had a great location, just about 5 short blocks from the Gyoemmae subway stop, the directions provided by the hotel worked perfectly. The neighborhood is lively and fun at most hours of the day and night, and there were lots of restaurants and several convenience stores within walking distance. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable, and I never heard noise from the hallway or neighbors. Beds, pillows and amenities were nice. The staff speaks good English, was friendly and helpful. The wifi signal was strong and I never had any issues.It was really nice to have a kitchenette with hotplate and minifridge. I'd stay again and recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank primerstar6
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was the first hotel we stayed at on our trip to Japan, so were initially shocked with how compact the room was. After a few other hotels, we now realize how functional and comfortable the rooms really were.

Pros:
- Apart-hotel - it was great to have a couch and kitchenette. Laundry facilities are on the ground floor.
- Fast wifi - every room has their own wifi router
- Lots of storage - the rooms are compact, but they used every nook and cranny for shelves and cabinets
- Close to metro station, restaurants, grocery stores and 7-Eleven.
- Very friendly and helpful front desk staff

Cons:
- The bathroom smelled a bit musty and the fan didn't do much to help
- Poor sound-proofing - you can hear all other guests walking, talking and closing their doors in the hallway
- The closest metro station is Shinjuku-Gyoenmae, which isn't far, but it does require transferring at Shinjuku to get access to the other main lines. It's also quite a walk to Shinjuku.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Citadines wasn't perfect, but met my needs better than either of the much ritzier hotels I visited in Seoul and Shanghai. If I return to Tokyo, I am likely to book another room here without bothering to check with competitors, unless I hunt for something much less expensive on the outskirts of the metro lines.

I had hoped to lodge with the top-rated Hotel Ryumeikan, but I guess too many TripAdvisor users have sung its praises; they were full up. That left Citadines Shinjuku, my second choice. I had never visited Tokyo, and felt leery about traveling from Narita Airport to the Shinjuku district.

I needn't have worried. Both NEX Express trains and the Narita limousine buses serve the central Shinjuku rail station, which is a long but manageable walk from the Citadines, at least for travelers with carry-on rollaboards. It's also pretty easy to follow the signs to the red Marunouchi subway line, and take a two stop ride from the central Shinjuku station to the Shinjuku-gyoemmae metro stop. I was quite tired after the flight to Tokyo, but had little trouble doing this on arrival, although I speak no Japanese.

(A quick tip: exit 2 of the Shinjuku-gyoemmae station is closest to the hotel. The Citadines web site also has directions.)

Hotel staff all speak English, and can be called for advice before or during your trip.

The beds were small, and set so close to the floor that I felt a bit like a grade schooler while bedding down. But the bed was comfortable enough, and that small 'complaint' is as close as I come to a quarrel with this hotel. I seek the basics when I travel: quiet, no bugs or pests, a coffee maker, wi-fi, a fridge, microwave and room safe when I can get them, a laundry room. The Citadines met my needs.

My room had no view at all, which was fine with me. The breakfast buffet was quite complete, but not free; I think it cost around $7 USD.

I traveled alone, but gather that the two bed room would have rented for the same price if I had come with another traveler. That might make the Citadines a still better deal for couples.

I didn't test wi-fi. I also can't evaluate how good the soundproofing is here; although I experienced no noise issues, I slept with ear plugs in, just so I wouldn't be roused from much-needed sleep.

Bottom line: a good choice for no frills travelers like me. If you want a spectacular view and a lush restaurant, I'd look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you ride the subway here, exit #2 of the Shinjuku-gyoemmae station is closest to the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd time staying here, and it was perfect, 5 minute walk to shinjuku gyomae station where you can access the entire city & a 5 minute walk to golden gai & other bars/ restaurants.
Staff are so friendly, ordered me takeaway when asked and were so polite. Even left me a card and cake for my birthday.
Rooms are very big for Japanese standards, this was one of the biggest rooms we stayed in while in japan. Fridge was very handy and wifi was excellent. We also rented a mifi from rent-a-phone japan, such great value and so convenient when trying to find places or info whilst around the city.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

After a great experience at the citadines Kyoto, we were a bit disappointed with Tokyo. Staff wasn't as friendly, although very helpful. Hotel is nice, clean and quiet. Location was this tiny bit too far. After walking all day, it was a bit of a pain to walk up there or take2 different trains. We wouldn't stay again just because of that.
cot for our baby wasnice and confi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank melb3056
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed there for just one night as the Keio Hotel (I was attending a conference there) could not accommodate me as they were booked out with the Tokyo Marathon and Citadines was great. The studio room is spacious, bright, spotless and the staff are so helpful. Only a 3 minute walk to the Tokyo Metro (for a 1st timer this stop was great as there was only 1 line and you couldn't go wrong - the thought of Shinjuku station was overwhelming). Lovely little restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores between the hotel and the metro.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Miro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo? Share your experiences!