“Excellent hotel”

Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I can happily recommend Citadines Shinjuku to anyone. It is as clean as the photos portray, modern, nothing is worn out, everything works very well. We had three people in one room, using a pull-out sofa-bed to make the second bed for my daughter. So the otherwise large room was a bit cramped, but we managed just fine. Very pleasant and helpful staff with good english. Good laundry downstairs. Great little kitchen. We made all our own dinners - was one-element cooking, so lots of soups and stir-fry. There is a Lawson store next door, where everything sells for 100 yen. So very affordable meals if you do not mind cooking in a small kitchenette. About 10 minute walk to Shinjuku shopping, about 15 minutes to the main train station. Just far enough out of the shopping area to be that much quieter, but close enough to pop down to the shops anytime.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 January 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Citadines Tokyo Shinjuku (CTS) in late October 2009, and I've been meaning to write a glowing review ever since. I used to live in Tokyo, and I've stayed in hotels throughout Japan (including the very swank Grand Hyatt in Tokyo's seedy-chic Roppongi nabe; see my review for that hotel if you plan to stay there). The CTS is a winner: you get Japanese style, efficiency, and cleanliness in a spacious studio (25 sq. m/275 sq. feet) that costs less than many three- and four-star hotels in Tokyo with much less space.

I arrived fairly late at night (note: reception closes at midnight and only reopens at 6 a.m. or so, so don't arrive any later than midnight to check in) and quickly checked in. The reception clerk graciously granted my request for a high floor, giving me a key to a studio on the 12th floor. My room faced the main street and had a good view over the surrounding neighborhood. The room was essentially a studio apartment (as I understand is the case with all Citadines' apartment-hotels), with a small but fully equipped kitchen leading to the bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom was modern and equipped with a full-sized soaking tub and shower. The bedroom had a good-size flat-screen TV, (free) wired internet, and a very comfortable double bed, with a large window overlooking Shinjuku just to the left.

The CTS is quite new (maybe 2 years old or so) and located in Shinjuku 1-chome, which is much quieter and "neighborhood-y" than nearby 2- and 3-chome, yet still within walking distance of those lively shopping and nightlife nabes. It's a long walk (better to take the metro or taxi) from the main JR Shinjuku station but only 5 to 8 minutes from either of the nearest metro stations. When I stayed there, the building right next door to CTS was just starting to undergo a major renovation, as made clear by the usual numerous signs detailing the project, hours and dates of the work, and offering profuse apologies to neighbors and passers-by. (Japan really is the most polite nation on earth.) I asked the staff whether the noise of the project was noticeable; they'd not noticed it or heard any complaint. I heard nothing from the project while I was at CTS, and it's probably completed by now.

The room price included breakfast in the lobby area, which was fairly minimal but perfectly adequate, with plenty of self-service coffee, juice, breads, and spreads. (Walk-in breakfast only costs 500 or 600 yen, so its inclusion in the room rate is not a major selling point.)

If you've priced hotels in the major Tokyo districts (Shinjuki, Shibuya, Roppongi, Akasaka, etc.), you know how expensive even basic hotels are. I paid 10,500 yen per night (at the time, about US$100; the yen has since gotten stronger against the US$), when the room at CTS would still have a good value at twice that. The low price (I booked on Japanican.com) included daily maid service and the aforementioned (fast) internet service and (OK) breakfast.

I've booked CTS for my next trip to Tokyo (in April 2010), and I can't wait. I was pleasantly surprised that they had rooms available (again, via Japanican.com), as I though that word might have spread more about this incredible lodging value in one of Tokyo's most popular and expensive districts.

I coudn't recommend CTS more highly; it's an outstanding property and value for all travelers, but perhaps best suited for more independent singles, couples, and families used to traveling or living in major urban centers.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank KittyChan
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I stayed at Citadines a total of 5 nights. One on the way to Nozawa Onsen and then 4 after. It is a great place! Good rate and great size. Having the little kitchenette was a blessing for me as I have food allergies and it was easier to cook my own meals some nights, also saved money on breakfast and snacks as Tokyo is so expensive! The hotel is only 3 minutes walk from shinjuku gyoenmae station. For anyone staying there the directions from the station are as follows:
Take exit 2 out of the station (just follow the signs)
Turn left at the top of the stair when you get outside
Turn hard left again in to the first street and then walk straight ahead all the way to the end where you get to the main road with the 7 eleven on your right.
Turn right that the 7 eleven and there is the hotel 2 building along on your right!
(we spent and bit of time trying to figure it out prior to arriving as we were arriving late in the evening, so this may help people out)

One comment is do be prepared for not getting any of the room supplies restocked e.g. water bottles, soap etc and they have a deal you can sign up for to save a bit of money where your room is not serviced for the length of your stay. We went with this option as we were only there 4 days so who needs it!! Oh and be sure to put non-smoking clearly in any comments section when booking. We selected non-smoking but there was a bit of the problem and they put us in a very smelly smoking room to start with. But once we complained they moved us to the non-smoking floor.

All in all a great value hotel that we would certainly recommend and stay in again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kiwichick19
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My family and i stayed at Citadines, Shinjuku in November 2009 and i would have to say that it was one of the best hotels that i have ever stayed at, and definitely the best that i stayed at in Japan. The staff were super friendly and spoke excellent English. The location of the hotel was great (only 2 stops to Harajuku) and was located 10 minutes walk from the main train station in Shinjuku. The hotel itself is surrounded by affordable restaurants and an excellent night life. The rooms were immaculate and trendy and large enough to cater three people. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the centre of Tokyo!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy000025
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We booked this hotel soley on the reviews on trip advisor, and were not disappointed. The staff went out of their way to help us on many occasions with directions and advice. The rooms are massive by Japanese standards and equiped with everything we could possibly want, although do we really need bathroom scales on holidays?! Easy to find and located in a good position, breakfast great for 525 yen, beds comfy, good shower head (two things important to me). 7/11 next door, awesome bento box takeaway 150m walk. The price was also excellent for Tokyo. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2010

I stayed here with my partner for the first 4 nights of our trip to japan. At first the shinjuku station was unbeleivable and we sorta got lost on our way out of it. It took us more than an hour to get to the hotel due to not having a map. so its really important that one has a shinjuku map in order to locate this hotel. The sudio was spacious and very functional. specially i really liked the idea of having sliding tv from lounge area towards bedside area. Bed and pillows were quite comfortable. the only problem i personally expereinced was a long walk to the train station . it takes about 15 minutes once you get familiar with the area otherwise it takes ages. Shinjuku is probably one of the busiest places i have ever been. Its good for shopping, food and more food :). Its important to have your own laptop when staying in any tokyo hotels coz some times its a ripoff using hotel's Computer/internet facility. Its very hard to find internet cafes as most of them are hideous and also expensive (mindful of Using japanese MS windows and keyboard extremely frustrating) ofcourse not if you know japenese :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Citadines Shinjuku is relatively new so everything was spick and span. The hotel rooms are little apartments so it's a great price for a lot of space, unlike most Japanese hotel rooms. We did manage to get an early opening special price though, so it may be more now.

Everything was very clean and being in Shinjuku was great, although it was quite a walk to Shinjuku station and the heart of the area but nothing to really complain about. The staff were exceptionally helpful. We had to change a night's accomodation and they were very accomodating and one staff in particular helped us arrange a nights accomodation at a spa resort in Hakone, which is usually very hard to book at. So with his persistance we were able to get a night there.

They also had a great 'green' initative whereby if you chose not to have your room cleaned you got 10% off the price of the room (or something like that). We opted for that and saved a bit of money.

I would stay at Citadines Shinjuku again for the space, great staff and clean rooms.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbedwirestar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo
#4 of 83 in Shinjuku
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#13 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo? Share your experiences!