“Nothing but the strategic location”

Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Check-in procedure: Fuss free check-in. Friendliness and helpfulness is missing from the staffs. We ordered a pocket WiFi device to be delivered to the hotel. When we enquired about it, the reception staff merely told us ‘Ah... I don’t know...”. Instead of assisting us to check, she told us to go one floor up and enquire the bellboy.

Room: First impression - SMALL, old, stuffy. Here goes the most annoying issue. It was +/- 10°C outside but it was so stuffy in the room. When we tried adjusting the aircon temp, we realized that nothing works (no air circulation cause the aircon fan was off). Thinking that the aircon is faulty, we called the reception. The reception staff told us that because of the low temp outside, they have switched off the guests’ ability to adjust the aircon temp and switched on the central heating system which heats up the entire hotel to 26°C. We were feeling really stuffy and the big bright shiny afternoon sun was beaming right into our room, so we requested that the aircon fan function be at least available for us. They declined. FINE.

The room was really small and old (as mentioned by many others). The bed is the MOST uncomfortable bed and pillows we have ever slept on. Flat, hard and low. Even after requesting for a non-smoking room/floor, our request were ignored. The staff have the cheek to tell us that "Sorry... No more no smoking rooms..." when we made our booking more than 6 months ago. It is really uncomfortable for non-smokers to be staying on smoking floors.

Other than its strategic location, given the slightly hefty price, we will not stay here again nor recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gayeonx
There are newer reviews for Shinjuku Prince Hotel

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I'll make this short, double room very small. We were bumping into each other, no place to put your luggage but in small area, had to keep everything in my bag no room to take anything out and hang clothes. Place smelled of stale cigarettes, and when there are a lot of people smoking the smell travels into your room. No wifi in room but in lobby only.
On the plus side,location is good close to train station, breakfast buffet was good, heated toilet seats a plus. And it;s connected to the shops/restaurants and passage way to subway.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sellyna D
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Except the super convenient location of the hotel, which is right located in the centered## of tourism hotspot -- Shinjuku, this hotel is kidda suck as we pay such a four star hotel expensive accommodation fee. It's completely not recommended.

No shuttle bus to there, you have to take your suit case and walk to the hotel from train station. Not good for family travelling.

No free wifi in the room , very poor signal in lobby.

Super unhelpful, unfriendly, rude hotel staff, from room reservation to inquiries.
(e.g.I ask the reception to recommend a good salon around shinjuku, they told me go up-floor, and ask the bell boy again, they would reply me.)

This is a family trip, I booked two rooms in advance, and email them one week and one day before the trip, to arrange one semi-double, one twin bed right next to each other, and in higher level, with their email reply that it's requested. When we arrive, they told us semi-bed room are sold out, only two twin bed room available, and they won't arrange two room right next to each other for us, because they have no room like this, even I email them before. (they said email means nothing for them even with their reply, it just mean they receive my request, but they would not do anything, and I have to accept they change our room type without any notice or sorry.) And not even a higher level room would be arranged, they have 14/F for us only.

After we insist awhile, they finally have 17/F (we requested 20/F one week before we arrive with their reply) , and two bed room right next to each other (though the room type still different to what we booked).

Once we entered the room, 1733, 1734 room are crazily small and smelly, a weird stinky smell in the room, and especially in the washroom. bathroom stinks of sewerage.

Air-condition broken in the room , sometimes so hot , sometimes so cold.

The room is super-dusty.Every morning when wake up , you can see a layer of dust settle on the table . And they not room-clean the dust on your bed-table or whereever.

It's extremely small, you can hardly move in a semi-double bed room, no place to put and open your suit-case.

Old facilities.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fafaoli
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed here for a week in December. Staff was friendly, helpful and spoke English. They recommended restaurants and helped me find places I was looking for. The hotel itself is well kept, the rooms are small but comfortable, you can walk anywhere in Shinjuku from here and enjoy tons of great restaurants. Transportation is also very easy as there are trains within walking distance. I went away for an overnight trip to Hakone and the hotel kept my suitcase for me so I could just take the essentials. The rooms were clean and the breakfast that was included in the price was quite good and plentiful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends. It is a fun area to stay in.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank caapsula
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here in December, the location couldn't be more perfect. It is close to transportation and you can enjoy Shinjuku by just walking from the hotel. The hotel itself is clean and well kept, the rooms are small but comfortable. I didn't feel I needed more space it was enough for two people. The breakfast buffet that was included in my room price was an excellent way to start the day and get ready for sightseeing all day. Staff speaks english and was very helpful, especially when I asked them to find me a restaurant where I could eat live squid... somehow they pointed me in the right direction, and I had one of the best meals of my visit. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Good Location - Small Rooms a week while in Tokyo, This would have been the smallest Twin room I have ever seen, There wasn't even enough room to open up a Mid Size suit case, Our room looked over the Train yard where there was a massive billboard across from the room that stayed on most of the night,

There was also no free wifi in the room, You had to hire a router for 500 yen a day, but there was a network port free for use, We bought a 2500 yen router from a near by electronic store to over come this issue

The location was great, If you want to go out and party this is the area you should stay, Many night Clubs and places to eat, but it is about a 30min train ride from Tokyo station

One other small issue was the complimentary Razor were not that great, They were more like an
epilator that ripped the hair from your face.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nathan A
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed (twin share) here for 5 nights over New Years. Good location, however the room size and quality let it down. The person before me said something about the T.V size. Yep, he wasn't kidding, my iPad would be bigger. Oh and there is no wifi in the room, unless you pay an extra ¥500 a day for a router. Our room was overlooking the railway yard, I don't know, maybe the walls are made of paper, because it sounds like those trains that are 18 floors below are right next to your room! Would it also kill for some descent blinds to keep the massive advertising board from illuminating the room like it was 3pm not 3am at night? The bathroom also constantly smelt like a urinal even though the room was cleaned daily.

Roo size? Tiny. We didn't even have enough space to open our bags. I had to use the bed side table which is occupying the narrow, Kokoda like trail In between the two beds, to store my bag, while my mate occupied the area where the door once opened. God help us if the building was on fire, we'd have to pack our bag and play Tetris before we could get out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#8 of 83 in Shinjuku
Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku

Been to Shinjuku Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!