“Clean rooms, warm service”
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean rooms, warm service”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Upon entering the hotel lobby and within a few seconds of wheeling my luggage towards the front desk, a concierge approached me and said he will take care of my bags for me while I got checked in. A very pleasant surprise! After a speedy check-in, the check-in staff escorted me to the elevators and wished me a pleasant stay. Another pleasant surprise!

After entering room 3010, my first impression was that it was spotlessly clean although the furnishings were looking a bid dated. Even the dark brown day bed had permanent scratch marks on them. The bathroom was an OK size, the complimentary toiletries were from Crabtree and Evelyn, so not too shabby. Nonetheless, not long after entering my room, my luggage came in double quick time.

As I stayed in a junior suite, I was given the option to purchase the buffet breakfast at 2,500 yen instead of the regular price of 3,600 yen. Even though there was a huge selection at the buffet breakfast, the quality was only average. Hence, I only ate there once during my four night stay. Also by staying in the junior suite, I was given complimentary access to the 24 hour gym and the swimming pool that closed at 8 pm every night. Why can’t they make the pool open 24 hours, like the gym or at least close later?

In terms of service and warmth, this hotel is top notch. In the hotel lobby, concierge will stand in strategic locations to attend to guests’ queries and provide assistance. This hotel also has a complimentary return bus shuttles service to Shinjuku train station leaving every 20 minutes so it was really useful. However, I noticed most of the people who took this shuttle service don’t even stay or work at the Hilton. I don’t know why the Hilton allows this, they should make this shuttle service for hotel guests only or start charging these freeloaders.

As I had to check my email, I went down to the business centre to use the desktop computer and internet. Very expensive! 800 yen for 30 minutes! On top of that the desktops they had were really old. The RAM was less than 1GB and the MS office was still the 2003 version. Because of the exorbitant charges, I only used the business centre internet only once for 30 mins during my entire stay.

Apart from the expensive internet charges, my right hand was almost taken off by one of the elevator doors! I was in the lobby wanting to go upstairs and was rushing for an elevator that was closing so I stuck my hand between the closing doors. This should have caused the elevators doors to open but it didn’t! I had to wrestle my right hand from the elevator jaws of death!

All in all, I had a pleasant stay at the Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku, and would probably stay there again when I am in Tokyo again. What would make it go from ‘probably’ to ‘definitely’? Cheaper internet.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear guest,

We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our product and service.

Concerning your comments regarding elevators our doors do open automatically however it is not recommended to ever place your hands into closing doors. Our engineers have checked and all cars/doors are operating normally. We will however continue to monitor this closely as the safety of our team members and guests is paramount.

The hotels shuttle bus also services the Hiltopia Shopping Centre and the hotel office tower (capacity 45 passengers). Hotel guests receive priority however it is very rare we have capacity issues.

Our gym is 24/7 as noted however for safety and daily cleaning of wet areas our pool closes at 10pm and reopens at 6am when our trainers are in attendance.

Our business centre is currently being upgraded and will have new equipment including 3 x PC and 3 x iMac from September 2013. Access will be free of charge for all hotel guests as a part of Hilton's Stay Connected global initiative. I apologise that the facility did not meet your expectations but assure you that we are rectifying shortly.

Once again thank you for choosing Hilton Tokyo and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hilton Tokyo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
los angeles
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Staff were professional, courteous and attentive. We had pleasant experience with every dept. we interacted with. From the frond desk, concierg, bell desk, housekeeping, restaurant and staff at the executive lounge. Will definitely come back to this hotel over and over again. Shijuku Hilton, thank you for gave us such a wonderful memories. Your impeccable service is one of the high points of our Tokyo trip.

Room Tip: Rm facing the park has lovely foliage view during cherry blossom season.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on tripadvisor. My team and I really value the time taken to share your great experience with other travellers.

I hope you had a good trip home to LA and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The hotel lobby is always a buzz with
several personnel to greet and assist right when you pull up to the
front door. I took the Limo Bus from Narita and as soon as my foot
stepped off the bus, there was someone to greet me and ask for my
baggage tickets. Simply great service! The room was gorgeous and well
maintained with all the amenities needed for my stay.

The Hotel is conveniently located and
at walking distance from the Metro. The hotel also offers a shuttle
service to Shinjuku Station which was always on time if you would
prefer to start at that hub or get to some food and shopping.

There is a Starbucks a half block away
for SB fans.

Again, this is the best Hilton Hotel I
have stayed in so far. I've stayed in Hilton's around California,
Hawaii, Guam, South Korea, Bangkok, Rome, Paris and Athens.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear you were impressed by our hotel and my teams service.

I trust you had a good trip home and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Only a five minute walk from Shinjuku station. This is an excellent hotel. If you are planning a trip to Tokyo Shinjuku is a good base camp location. The trains and metro are excellent. Punctual, safe and clean. You need to be patient as it's very busy and always allow yourself time to work things out. Everybody is very helpful.

The hotel is modern and clean. Breakfast is excellent. Good coach every hour to both main airports for £25.

Stayed here on business. Would definitely use again for business or family trip.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest,

My team and I thank you for your very complimentary feedback and we are all really pleased you had a great stay with us. It’s great to hear you really enjoyed our accommodation, location and services.

Thank you for choosing Hilton Tokyo and we look forward to seeing you back with us when you next come to Tokyo.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed here for an overnight trip and it is definitely above the standard business hotel in Tokyo. Rooms are much bigger and modernly equipped.

Only little complaint is that it is still quite a distance if you plan on walking to or from the main subway station. Will highly recommend that you grab the shuttle bus or take a cab to the station (about 1,000 yen).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear guest,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for choosing Hilton Tokyo.

I would however like to clarify for other tripadvisor readers your comments on the subway.

The Tokyo Metro Subway is directly accessible from B1 in the hotel with two lines (Oedo and Marunouchi lines) making access very convenient.

JR Shinjuku Station (non metro lines) is a 7-10 minute walk from the hotel or guests can take our complimentary shuttle bus.

I hope this clarifies for everyone and thank you again for your positive feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Loved our stay at Hilton Shinjuku. Very easy to get to from the airport on the limo bus ( just a big bus, but drops you at the door for a reasonable price) There is also a free shuttle bus to/from Shinjuku station which is really handy. We stayed in an executive suite which was very spacious and comfortable, clean and Lots of bathroom goodies. The exec lounge is the BEST we have seen with a generous happy hour (2hours!) of great food and SERVICE. Breakfast also good in the lounge. WELL worth paying for an executive suite. The staff were delightful. Always courteous and friendly but they go a step further and actually engage in conversation and seem to remember you , quite the Nicest hotel we have ever stayed in. But the BEST was instead of chocolates on our pillow at turn down there were little origami birds and a weather report for the following day. I LOVe that :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peabot
, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor.

We are really proud of our Executive Floors and Executive Lounge and we receive many great comments. All Executive Floor Guests and our Diamond Hhonors guests are VIPs and the team really aim to exceed expectations and create great memories.

We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Tokyo.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Tokyo twice on a recent trip to Japan. Both stays were fantastic, but the second stay was the best.

Having initially booked a King Junior Suite Deluxe but before arriving, I applied for an eStandby Upgrade for a room on the Executive floors. A King Junior Suite Executive was a total of 6,000 yen. On check-in it was available and I'm so glad I did.

From check-in to check-out, every moment at the hotel was fantastic. The icing on the cake was the executive lounge. Normally, lounges have some cheap wine and basic nibbles. Not here though. Hot food, cold snacks and cocktails, all included. It almost made me not not want to leave.

The staff are phenomenal from the check-in team, the tiny lady who delivered my bags to the room (half the size of me), to the housekeeping team who left origami cranes on turn-down.

Shinjuku Station is about 10 minutes walk away so getting anywhere else in Tokyo and Japan in general is very easy.

I'll be back again some day...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DarrenWh
, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad you had a really good stay and that we exceeded your expectations.

Service and quality is our key focus and we aim to consistently differentiate Hilton Tokyo from our competitors due to this. I am so pleased you were impressed with my team and the product they offer and I will have your comments translated and posted so all can see the outcome of their training and efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 111 in Minato

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!