“Convenient Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Sydney, Australia
“Convenient Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed four nights with our family of four in early January 2014. We did have a luxury quad room which was very nice. Two bathrooms and four large beds and quite a nice outlook to the Metropolitan Government offices. I beleive the regular rooms are a bit tired looking and I think it is worth paying the extra to upgrade.

The location was very convenient to Shinjuku Station and it can be accessed by underground walkway if the weather is inclement.

It was just a short taxi ride to the Park Hyatt where we enjoyed drinks on 52nd Floor overlooking Tokyo (Lost in Translation bar).

I would probably stay there again for the location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the newer tower.
2 Thank StanmoreGirlSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My girlfriend and I went there for our holidays during December 2013, reading previous reviews we were disappointed for not getting a room in the newer tower, but we made no such requests anyways, the old tower does have a feeling of under maintained and old

The room was well equipped with facilities on par with most common 4 star hotels, the wifi in our room was strong, the beds were reasonably comfortable although we requested one queen but got two beds instead. The location of the hotel is awesome, we didn't get a chance to try out any food other than the breakfast buffets, they had great variety and the service of the restaurants was excellent.

Most of the staff has no problems speaking English, the convenient store that is attached to the bottom level of the hotel can be reached with just a trip down the escalator, no going outside required (awesome during winter)!

Over all a good stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hao-wei T
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

KeioPlaza

The first thing that hits you is that the hotel is overwhelmingly huge and kinda corporate. I found it somewhat cold and emotionless, very touristy, busy and lost in terms of brand identity.

Check in was busy and took a while to do. Every time I went past the reception it was busy.

Service was very good. Everyone was very happy to help even if English was a barrier. I really should have learnt some key Japanese words before I visited.

I was on the 31st floor in a Plaza Luxe suite. Whilst the view was ok it was not amazing though the sunrise was lovely. My room was fine, not as good as other 'luxe' rooms I've stayed in at other hotels of which I've stayed at many. There was a small closet space and a bathroom that you could barley, comfortably dry yourself in without the door closing on you or you banging into the hi-tech toilet. The interior was fine, very clean, quite corporate mixing oatmeal and dark wood throughout.

The iron that they kindly loaned me free of charge (organized efficiently by email pre my stay) was bizarre. It was like something you charge and then use?! Not that good at pressing either but was ok when used a few times.

The good things were the water pressure of the shower that was so intense it felt great. You felt instantly clean and awake. The complimentary 2 water bottles were very much welcomed. Teas and coffees are ok but nothing special but the mini bar was quite empty. No snacks?! Room cleaning was great.

The robes (too small) and towels were a tad scratchy but the array of them was useful. The hair dryer was good and there were plenty of all those little bathroom accompaniments such as hair brush, ear buds etc etc.

The hotel has a few small shops within it and many restaurants. Book if you wanna use them as they have limited space.

I would recommend you try the lobby bar and the main tower top bar called Polestar to drink in. But avoid eating, I found the food was disappointing, I even went plain and tried a club sandwich that was tasteless. Polestar has a wonderful view of the city, nicely lit ambience, serves good drinks too, plus you can smoke in there but I won't even get started on smoking in Japan as it's all quite strange and confusing.

Its the hotels gym facility I was most disappointed in. The hotel is enormous so you'd think they'd have a gym that reflected the potential number of users. The gym is two very, very small rooms, equipped with a few running machines, 2 cross trainers, a small rack of weights, a bench, chest press and leg press. It's reasonably ok for a very small workout but a full body work out was difficult for me especially underneath the dreadful office strip lighting!! It's hideously decorated and generally unloved. WARNING: Don't lunge on the floor mats as they are not stuck to the floor and quickly slip from under you. There is a water machine and small towels provided but don't forget to sign the disclaimer!?!

Breakfast was ok. I think our room level/type reflected the quality of the breakfast we got. I say this because others who attended the same work event as us had rooms on lower levels of the hotel and received a different standard of breakfast in a totally different breakfast room, not like ours. The breakfast we had was pretty standard of an average to good hotel. The usual plethora of cereal, juice, fruit, yoghurt and pastries were on offer and were ok quality. The cooked stuff looked processed to me, sausages, bacon and mass produced scrambled egg are not my thing.

The breakfast room is the same as the evening lobby bar so very nice and relaxing to sit in. The last day of our visit this breakfast room was closed so we were asked to use the downstairs breakfast room. Wow what a change. In total contrast to the plush lobby room and it's wide selection of food, this was a drab looking, utterly grim canteen. The selection was super limited and the quality much, much lower than before. The 3 cereals looked like dust and I've never seen french fries served for breakfast. There was a table display of grey vegetables. Appetising? Avoid. It was very unpleasant.

Would I recommend the hotel? Not really unless your working in the area. It's well located, close to the main station, very near to the place I was working and it was short walk over to a few drinking and eating areas so this was great. I managed to use the tube and that was super efficient and everything felt quite close by with the varying express services. I also took a taxi to the designer shopping district and that only took 15 minutes, so not bad at all.

In short, the Keio Plaza needs to fine tune some aspects. It's big enough to have a great gym. It's expensive enough to serve a great breakfast. Rooms should have quality robes and decent pressing equipment or discounted pressing services, plus more hangers for long staying guests.

It's the little things that I feel it lacks but it's these can really make the difference between being average and excellent. For the price you can get better elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Bobbyboysabout
Los Angeles, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

While in Japan last week we stayed four nights at the Keio Plaza Tokyo (also three nights in Kyoto at the Westin Miyako - very pleasant too). We booked a Plaza Luxe room which is worth the extra charge as along with a spacious renovated room you also have access to an attractive small private lounge with complimentary snacks and drinks and a spectacular view of Tokyo from the 35th floor. The Japanese service is excellent and very stress-free with no tipping which is a big relief for us Americans always worried about looking like the stupid fools we usually are while traveling :-) The location is very close to the Shinjuku Station and shopping. There is a convenience store in the hotel that sells beer, wine, snacks and ice which is great. Concierge was helpful.

Room Tip: Plaza Luxe rooms with view of Mt Fuji
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lex12
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We booked Keio for a short stay in Tokyo before heading to Niigata. Not expected too much before I arrived, as Keio is popular for tours. Located very close to Shinjuku Station but still a quiet environment.

We stayed at the renovated deluxe room, which was very spacious with a cosy touch. Really like the room. We had good quality of rests.

The only disappointment came from the breakfast, which I really think it did not worth the price. They have three restaurants serving breakfast which ee tried two, one with served both Japanese and Western breakfast which I think only reached 3 stars B&B; and another one only served Japanese breakfast. Both with limited choices of food, though the environment are nice. I will recommend friends to stay @ this hotel but excluding the breakfast!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank FamilyLeung
Mapleton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the Hotel on the way to skiing at Hakuba and on our return to Tokyo. Having stayed here before we found the same consistent service throughout the hotel. Check in and check out seemed to be more streamlined this time which was good. It is in a great location to access trains and there is plenty of shopping nearby. We used the free Disneyland shuttle service which is a bonus.

The staff were very helpful and arranged an early check in for us on our arrival ( from our experience this is not normal in Japan)

Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the Plaza Luxe room- which is very nice. On the 34th floor, the luxe lounge serves coffee and juices from 10am - 5pm, then shifts to different kinds of beers and wines with appetizers until 9:30pm. The view from the luxe lounge was very nice.
It is walking distance to family marts and lawtons and many very good restaurants.
It's a bit of walk though to Takashimaya. We stayed at Century Southern last year and it was a short walk to the department store. But Keio is much nearer the good restaurants and bars.
Check in and check out was very fast. And being in Tokyo, the service was excellent.
There is a free shuttle to Disneyland for hotel guests- which is very good- but need to book in advance. The bus ride was very comfortable and does not make several hotel stops- just goes straight to Disney.
There are also a lot of tour which starts in Keio Hotel- so it's convenient to go on tours.
The lobby is a little outdated though- but very clean and large.
Love the heated toilet seats - which I believe is normal in Tokyo hotels.
I would stay here again.

PS- I found the pillows quite hard....

Room Tip: get rooms which have free access to luxe lounge. It is definitely worth it- since alcoholic drinks a...
2 Thank aquamermaid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,178 reviews
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
Shinjuku Prince Hotel
#14 of 81 in Shinjuku

Been to Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!