“Very good service”

Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed here as my friend was running in the marathon and it was one of the elected hotels. Having been my first visit to Tokyo, I cannot compare it to other hotels. I know we were in the older part of the hotel and yes, the rooms could do with updating, but perfectly functional, spotlessly clean and lovely and quiet. The convenience shop in the basement is very reasonably priced and the hotel is superbly located very close to Shinjuku Station with an undercover walkway for those who don't want to venture outside. The staff we came across spoke very impressive English compared to what we encountered outside (but we actually loved the fact that hardly anyone spoke English as it added to the adventure. must say, everyone so incredibly friendly and helpful even if we were unable to converse lol). The bar is absolutely superb. I love my manhattan cocktails and am very choosy as to how it is adapted to my preference, but the barmen listened to me and produced some of the best manhattans outside of my apartment! we also ate one evening in the hotel's Chinese restaurant which again was very good and very reasonable for indining in a 5 star. Would definitely stay again but would like to see the refurbished rooms

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Louise H

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Not sure which rooms the other reviews are coming from with comfy beds, but our deluxe double room in the South Tower had a rock hard mattress! I actually felt sorry for all the marathon runners staying there having run a marathon first. Afterwards we moved on to a traditional Ryoken for skiing and the futon mattress on the floor there proved much softer and more comfortable ... Otherwise couldn't really fault the hotel, it was clean, the bars upstairs were really nice if you can get past the smokiness.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our room in this hotel was enormous by Japanese standards. It was well furnished and the bed was extremely comfortable yielding a good night's sleep. Bathroom though was on the small side and the low ceiling would be a problem for very tall people, especially when using the shower. Rooms were well cleaned and staff were generally quite helpful. The location of the hotel is also good, about 350 meters from Shinjuku station, with lots of eating places close by. Breakfast at the hotel was quite extensive catering for both Western and Japanese taste. Given the size of the hotel, it does lack individual personality, and sometimes there can be a wait for services and amenities.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel Keio Plaza Toyko –
Stayed 2 nights for a work function – clean, comfortable, and can’t really comment on the value. Overall Japan is expensive when compared to the USA. I paid about $220.00 USD per night. The service overall is better / faster / cheaper than the USA. Note bell hops and service people don’t expect tips – I had to force tipping person bringing bags up to my room. Acted like I shouldn’t have tipped. One minor problem is normally I iron / press my own shirts & slacks once I’m in hotel room. No iron or board in the room - same for the two other hotels I stayed in. Other than my wrinkly clothes I didn’t experience any issues.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tony r
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here because we ran the Tokyo Marathon and it was one block from the start of the race. The room was surprisingly big (we had a kind size bed) and comfortable. There is a convenience store at the basement of this hotel and starbucks is just across the street from the East entrance (sorry, my husband has a mocha addiction).

I stayed here on a corporate rate so I have no complaints at all about this hotel. Had I stayed at the rack rate, I would complain that it's overpriced but compared to the hotels of NYC, this is still a bargain.

The service is on par with other Japanese 4 star hotels....excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Highly recommended in Shinjuku area. Good location, clean & well size room. Restaurants & grocery store easily accesible. 4 minutes walk to Tochomae station 10 minutes to Shinjuku station (not strolley friendly; staircase up & down; bring light weight strolley). Walking distance to major shopping distance e.g. Isetan, Takashimaya, etc. Conclusion "Value for money".

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kampung25
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I did not enjoy my stay at all at this hotel. The lobby is beautiful and certainly makes you feel like you are at a 5 star hotel until you get into the rooms...
Negatives:
- Looked like my grandmas house, very 1960/70's style
- Smelled like stale smoke
- Bed as hard as a concrete block
- Not work the money paid

Positives
- Centrally located
- Good customer service
- Rooms were very large

I would not stay there again nor would I recommed it.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Brynn L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
#12 of 83 in Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!