“Beautiful Lobby, Depressing Room, Nice Pool, Good Location”

Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 13 October 2013

As you enter into the Hyatt Regency you will step into a beautiful lobby with big chandeliers and a grand staircase leading to the bar. Unfortunately, the grandeur stopped there. I was very disappointed with the old dingy hotel room. I felt like i was in a prison cell and I am a Hyatt Platinum member. I've read there are refurbished rooms and I highly recommend you ask for one. I really enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi upstairs and the Shinjuku location is good. They also have a free shuttle to the Shinjuku train station where there are lots of restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished room or you will be greatly disappointed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,274)

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed with at the regency in Shinjuku for 3 nights. The location is ok, they offer you a very efficient shuttle bus to Shinjuku station. Rooms are big and clean. I personally loved the buffet breakfast. Would defo stay again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Ad-ukit
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hold over from Japan of the 1980's is in a great location and boasts nice rooms. In fact the rooms are spacious and have full black out curtains. As hotels go it works well. My issue is no free wifi, which for a hotel brand that says they are all about customer service, seems odd. You want to understand me, know that I need wifi and I am not really happy about paying $20 a day for it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emailjohn
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and would recommend it to anyone thinking of travelling and staying around Shinjuku. Talk about service and attention to detail. I organised an anniversary surprise for my wife and the look on her face said it all when they delivered the cake.
Thank you all for making our trip a memorable one. We hope to come back in the near future

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

You won't be disappointed. This is a great hotel. I had a room on the 17th floor w/a beautiful view of the city. Very comfortable hotel and everything is w/in walking distance. Nice friendly staff who spoke English! Big PLUS!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed here for almost about a week earlier this summer. As a Hyatt Platinum, I was given a slight upgrade to a Standard King Room with a view of the very green Shinjuku Central Park located behind the hotel. It was quite spacious by Japanese hotel standards and while simple, it was nicely appointed. I think only the Club rooms and suites have the modern/sleek renovations with the new furniture, but I didn't mind my room at all.

The HRT and the Park Hyatt Tokyo, which is only a short walk away, are located about 10 walk from the shopping area in Shinjuku. The immediate neighborhood is mostly tall office buildings, such as the Tokyo Metropolitan building where you can get the best free view of Tokyo! There are quite a few restaurants located in the area, including some really wonderful coffee at Paul Bassett. For convenience, there's also a 7-11 right underneath the hotel along with the Tochomae subway station.

Overall, I'd definitely consider the HRT again when I'm back in Tokyo.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

When we booked this seemed like a great idea but when we got there I felt a bit let down and disappointed. We could have been anywhere in the world, which some people might like, but I do like to know I am abroad when abroad. All individual scores for services are high but this is the one place on a variety of budgets that left me disappointed despite being the most highly priced.

The service is efficient, and friendly, but too americanised. I appreciate that we do not look Japanese but having had 3 weeks of interesting experiences this final stop seemed a bit soulless.

Yes it is convenient and more reasonably priced than others in the immediate area. The facilities are also good. This is the perfect business hotel for someone flying in and out that just needs to get stuff done. If you want to know you have been to Tokyo, or even Japan, spend the extra money to stay somewhere iconic, or go somewhere smaller and have a slightly more authentic experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple