“Best hotel ever. period.”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Love it. Staff are incredibly helpful and the restaurants are amazing.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Verdandi1
Write a ReviewReviews (3,035)

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Not much negative to say about this. Rooms are beautiful, staff is courteous. Overall classy hotel.
We have been disapointed by the restaurant staff. On two occasions.
In a hotel of this standard and reputation and with the outrageous prices thy ask in the restaurants service should be impecable which it wasn't.
80% of the people have diffivulties understanding or explaining.
Overall a good experience but on that account and with the prices practiced,4 seasons is a league of it's own and hyatt doesn't come close!
We chose rhis hotel because of the pool and that was great appart from the silly caps you MUST weat, I wzs clean cut shaven, bold, and still had to wear it.
Concierge Belinda was a dream concierge.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Just like Sukiyabashi Jiro, the Park Hyatt was on my "must do" list for Tokyo so on the last leg of my trip I stayed there for 3 nights. Just getting a room was very much like a seat at Jiro's as well... darn near impossible. Granted I booked it just 5 weeks out but I had to call back several times and get creative with the days I was going to stay there to make it happen. All and all it was well worth it. The hotel, accommodations and service was impecable. Upon check in I asked if there were any upgrades available and was told they were full booked but a few minutes after I was in my room the phone rang and the front desk said they had a better room available and would switch me at no charge. In no time they had a cart at my door and an escort to transfer everything to the new room which was a tad larger, on a higher floor and with a much better view. Just a sample of what to expect at this hotel.

The complimentary brunch is amazing in the mid level dining area and of course the NY bar on the top floor is a must experience. One evening after strolling around the Ginza district I got back to the hotel around 11pm and headed up to the NY bar for a drink. The bar was alive and buzzing with a interesting spectrum of customers. I good perk being a guest because there was a decent line of non-residents waiting to get in the bar. Of course the view is breathtaking and I found it nice that I could smoke a cigar with my scotch. Their ventilation system is top notch as I looked around and saw several people were smoking but it never occurred to me before that and I usually can smell a cigarette across a room. My last night at the hotel I ate at the NY Grill , which is just the flip side of the NY bar, and it was 4 star. Amazing food, service and quite a contrasting elegant atmosphere compared to the bar which is only steps away but well sectioned off. Bottom line is the Park Hyatt is the best of the best and if that's what you are accustomed to or you just want a one time splurge... either way you won't be disappointed. I will add that if for some reason the Hyatt is booked or it's out of the price range I highly recommend the Capitol Hotel Tokyu. I stayed there at the start of my trip and the hotel is with out flaw and amazing in every way.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and facing Mount Fuji if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and then a further night en route from Kyoto. The moment we stepped out of the taxi we were greeted with friendly, attentive staff, one of whom escorted us from the ground floor to the reception on 41st Floor. This was the most discrete, carpeted reception imaginable, with abundant staff to ensure there were no delays and conference tables rather than counters. This set the tone for the whole stay. Nothing was too much trouble, from the concierge's help with where to go in the city to the staff who, when asked the direction to a facility, personally walked with you to it, with helpful, friendly conversation along the way.
The hotel is in the Shinjuko Park Tower building. After leaving the arrival foyer you pass the delicatessen and cafe before going to Floor 41 where the hotel proper begins.
The rooms are superbly equipped complete with a storage room for cases and the best mini (there was nothing "mini" about it really) bar facility we have seen with fresh ice included and maintained throughout the day.
There was a superb choice of places to eat, from the restaurant which specialised in European food, the Japanese restaurant, the Peak Lounge with afternoon teas to die for and the New York Bar and Restaurant on Floor 52, with night views of Tokyo. In the bar there is live jazz to entertain each evening, delightful snacks and cocktails to enjoy as well as the magical night views of Tokyo.
The hotel has a shuttle bus which runs to Shinjuko Station but which also is ideal for shopping in Shinjuko and a taxi into downtown is not excessively expensive.
Although not part of the hotel, in the basement of the building there is a supermarket, bookshop and pharmacy, should you not wish to go into the city for basics as the hotel is situated about 10 minutes from Shinjuko centre and 40 minutes from downtown Tokyo.This was ideal for us, but may not suit someone wishing to stay in the heart of the city.
The hotel is one of the best we have stayed in and we would certainly stay again..

Room Tip: We had a ParkTwin Corner room which was spaceous, superbly appointed and quiet, on Floor 48.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My wife and I recently completed a three night stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo as part of our honeymoon to Japan and Thailand. The Park Hyatt certainly lived up to our high expectations.

OVERALL: The Park Hyatt is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at and is a great asset to the Hyatt collection. Like the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris it exudes understated elegance yet still remains warm an approachable. I felt well treated as a guest and my wife and I looked forward to the respite the hotel provided, especially after a busy day sight-seeing. Location near Shinjuku station is not the most ideal for most of the Tokyo sights; however, we were not bothered by walked 10-15 minutes to the subway. The hotel is walking distance to Harijuku and the Meji Gardens. The only constructive feedback I have, is I had hoped the hotel would have recognized the occasion of our honeymoon – nothing grand but even a simple note would have sufficed.

ARRIVAL: We arrive later in the evening (~7 pm) from our overseas flight and took the Narita Express to Shinjuku Station (we bought the N’EX + Suica which is a great value if you are going to be using the subway in Tokyo). From here we walked (~15 minutes), a taxi from the station would only cost 710 Yen (~$10 USD) so that is also a good option. In total, including time getting bags, clearing customs/immigration and taking the train it took about 3 hours to get from Narita to the Park Hyatt.

The lobby of the hotel is located on the 41st floor of the Park Tower. Stepping off of the elevators one is met with sweeping city views and an airy lobby lounge. The hotel is spread across three connected towers all with stunning views of the Skyscraper District and the rest of Tokyo. As soon as the staff recognized we arrived, they took our names and quickly escorted us up to our room where we completed our check-in. Unlike all hotels I have stayed in, the Park Hyatt still uses real keys – and these are on a Tiffany Key Chain monogrammed (PHT, but not with a room number) - very unique and classy!

ROOM: In my opinion pictures of the room do not do it justice. I expected a more stark/modern feel, rather than the calming/luxurious surround that met us upon entry. The rooms are set in muted earth-tones with simple lighting and artwork. When we arrived the room had already been turned-down and relaxing music/lights provided a rather soothing experience. A delicious banana toffee cake was waiting for us with a welcome note.
We were upgraded to a Park View Deluxe corner room which had amazing sweeping views of the City and Bay. The room has a very large pass-thru/walk-in closet and an extremely spacious bathroom with separate shower and tub. The room has all the technology and then some that one would expect of a hotel of this class. The blinds and lights can be controlled via bed-side switches, there is a TV in the bathroom, the toilet is the most advanced I have ever seen (my wife absolutely loved it – especially the heated seat feature!). The bathroom is stocked with Aesop amenities which are of very nice quality. Additionally there is coffee and tea service available in the room – note for Gold Passport Members coffee/tea can be delivered complimentary to the room each morning. Everything in the room was in fantastic repair and was of the highest quality. The shower was extremely strong and relaxing and the bed was made in high quality sheets and was very comfortable.

SERVICE: My wife and I are not very demanding when it comes to traveling, we often do most of our own planning and like to figure our way around town; however, all interactions with the staff were fantastic and lacked any pretension one might expect. The concierge staff was especially helpful with providing maps, reserving return Narita express tickets, restaurant recommendations and even some basic Japanese lessons!

DINNING: My wife and I dinned at Girandole for breakfast two of our mornings and the last we used in-room dinning. All three experiences were fantastic. Like the rest of the hotel the restaurant has sweeping city and mountain views (we could see Mt. Fuji) and has beautiful décor. While the breakfast spread is not extensive it was more than sufficient and of seemingly very high quality. As a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member breakfast is complimentary (otherwise it would range from 3000-3800 yen per person). In-Room dinning was also delicious and was an experience – it arrived promptly at the requested time and was brought into the room on a white linen table. Unlike my previous experiences with room service – the food was kept in an electric warming box under the table so that way it would stay hot until we were ready to enjoy!

HOUSEKEEPING: This is one area where the hotel exceeded all of my expectations, never have I stayed at a hotel where the housekeep was so flawless. It was the little things that likely go unnoticed that surprised me and give credence to the care and diligence that must go into all of the work. A great example is hotel information provided within the desk (inside the desk there are a few maps and a business card that can come in handy to give to a taxi drive to provide directions back to the hotel in Japanese) – we had taken these and tucked the rest of the material away – at turndown these two cards were replaced – as was the laundry bag, water, tea bags, and a few other small toiletry items.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cocoesh
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Wife and I took our first trip ever to Japan this year (May, 2012). Due to an amazing offer by Chase Hyatt Visa, we had multiple "free nights at any Hyatt in the world" and decided to use 3 of them at the Park Hyatt Tokyo in Shinjuku. I have stayed at multiple upper-mid-tier properties such as Intercontinentals, JW Marriotts, and Hiltons, etc. This place obviously is a different tier of experience, and is exceptional in every way:
-- First hotel that checked us in after we were in our room vs standing at a front lobby
-- All floors have high views (42nd floor or higher) - incredible view and saw Mt. Fuji one morning clear as could be
-- NY Grill is an incredible restaurant that is high-priced and yet again, with literally perfect service, actual CA wines that we both loved, a live Jazz band, 52nd floor views, steaks from all over the world - was the perfect meal to end a 10-day trip.
-- The room is beautiful and complete attention to every details exists

We will be back to NY Grill again (at $750 a night plus for a room we'd need more points or such before we could likely stay there again, but oh would we would like to). These folks do an incredible job.

Room Tip: There is no bad room
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Maybe the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Everything is perfect, from the friendly welcome to the genuine farewells - great rooms, staff who go the extra mile on every single request, and a breakfast that is how it should be: a la carte. It all has its price, of course, but this experience is one I wouldn't want to miss and can warmly recommend to anyone else staying in Tokyo for a few nights. (Note: they have no club lounge, but the bar upstairs has free drinks for Diamond members if you're in the mood for a sundowner...)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
#6 of 84 in Shinjuku
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!