“urban sanctuary”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
NYC
“urban sanctuary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights this January, and felt this stay was a special treat for us on our trip to Asia. As noted in other reviews, the place is wonderful and notable in terms of service and ambiance, so I'm just going to nitpick here. For example, one downside is that they could not provide a king bed for my husband and me, and we ended up having to stay in a room with two "queen" size beds (although the size of each is just slightly larger than a twin size bed). So if this is important, you may want to contact in advance to ensure you get the room type you'd like. Regardless, as others have posted, each room has a phenomenal view of the city. It was always a pleasure to come back to the hotel and rest and relax at the end of the day from the cold and chaos of Tokyo in January. The location is a hike from the train station, and the exact place where the shuttle picks you up from the train station is not easy to find and we didn't always feel like waiting around in the cold for it.

We started every morning with delivered coffee in our room (which is free when you sign up for hyatt gold membership, which is also free) and a workout at their gym (with a view of Mount Fuji) where my husband helped himself to a banana every day. We rented a portable wireless device from concierge to enable us to use our iphones to navigate around and it worked seamlessly. I think the cost was 2500 yen (about $25 for 24 hours).

The New York bar is nice, and we splurged on drinks on our second night there. The first night we tried to get in, on a Saturday night, we were told there were no open tables, and they had us wait in our hotel room. We ended up falling asleep in our hotel room before a table opened up. Perhaps reservations may help on weekend nights. The night we did get in, there was a nice jazz trio that played. The bar was smoky, but I think that is usually the case in all Japanese bars.

The staff was always gracious and willing to help out. We always felt welcomed and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay at a special place in Tokyo.

2 Thank happypo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed during the new year of 2014 in a deluxe room at 47th floor. The night view was absolutely amazing. The room has a big luggage closet which was particularly useful because it's the last stop of our Japan trip and we did a lot of shopping in Tokyo. Typically the room will be come really messy with stuff and bags scattered everywhere, but the closet keeps the room really neat for the 3 days we stayed. This became my wife's favorite hotel.

This is definitely going to be my first choice for my next Tokyo trip.

The only inconvenience was the elevator rides: one to the hotel and another one to the room. A bit hassle if you come in and out a few times a day.

Room Tip: One caveat is if you'd want to book the shuttle to Narita as early as possible. We tried to book...
1 Thank backspin18
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Wow, the stay here was just fantastic and the best of my life! I never want to leave. The views are so special, the room is so super comfortable, the bath unreal, the service, the gym, the bar, etc. I can go on and on. Everything was just so special. Easily the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I can't say enough about how high the level of service is here. Amazing is so well thought out. The bed super comfortable. The bathroom was just heaven - haven't had a bath in years but I did here. Loved those robes! The gym is unreal - working out with the views of the city and Mount Fuji, are you kidding me?? I just didn't want to leave. Staying anywhere else is going to be a huge letdown for me. The location is often discussed but I didn't find it a problem. Shuttle service to the station is great and reliable and the walk is pleasant enough. I want to come back here soon! Thank you Park Hyatt for being so wonderful.

Room Tip: All of them are great - the views are just amazing.
2 Thank jwobkk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff was helpful and friendly. They anticipated our needs and were willing to extend help in many aspects. The most impressive incident was when i was at the swimming pool, looking for a hair band, the gym staff immediately took one out from his pocket! Location was so so- we had to taxi in and out. We would not recommend the breakfast~ the choice of the buffet was very limited and the service was slow.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Momohoho
Hangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

pros: good value for money, we paid $500 per night, and only found out later can be still cheaper if we book directly through hyatt website with 4th nigh free. considering it is tokyo, it is not so bad.
concierge, bellman, very attentive, spoke best english from all the person we met in japan. there is also one speak perfect mandarin which is really useful if my parents are visiting.
cons: breakfast, not really much you can find, mainly all kinds of bread. we skip 2 out of the 5 meals even we paid for it. on a separate matter, i have to say taxi drivers in tokyo is not the usually polite japanese you encounter. during our days in tokyo. there are 2 times the taxi drivers have to stop meters before we arrive after i pointed out he took the wrong way. one time at about 11pm, the driver tried to take the opposite direction. another time, the driver forced 4 of us into backseat because he did not want to clear the front seat. so if you are new in tokyo, please make sure you have the gps on the phone ready.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank xing0210
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Best hotel Ive ever stayed in.

Worth it for the view alone.

Service is fantastic and the facilities (gym spa and pool) are great. Breakfast was also delicious - with a selection of fresh fruits, pastries, cheeses etc along with freshly cooked eggs and hot options to order.

We were upgraded to a suite on the 48th floor and the room was huge and stylish with the most comfortable bed ever. You will definitely get a good nights sleep even with jet lag! The suite had a huge bathroom with an amazing tub (loved the bath salts and Aesop toiletries) plus a dressing room for all our clothes and cases.

Room service was fantastic and the New York Bar is a tourist destination in its own right. Tokyo is a pretty hectic city but this bar was so relaxing with the live jazz, great cocktails and THAT breathtaking view. Everywhere you went in the hotel you couldnt help get blindsided by the view - we didnt bother with trips up the tokyo tower or viewing platform in Roppongi as we had access to the best view in town from our hotel room.

Location wise, its a good ten minute walk from Shinjuku station. That didnt really bother us as we took the free shuttle bus or grabbed a cab for 750 yen. From shinjuku you can quickly get pretty much anywhere in Tokyo.

We got a great deal on Tablet and would highly recommend this hotel. Doubt we will be staying anywhere this nice any time soon!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jen056
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay on 48th floor. A view of Mt Fuji from the bedroom window sold me immediately. Our room was huge - even by western standards - and the bathroom was fab too.

The hotel facilities were great, from the pool on 47th floor to the bar & grill on 52nd & the deli on 1st. The concierge service was fantastic, they couldn't have been more helpful.

A really great stay in an amazing city. I can't say whether it was vfm because my friend used air miles/points to pay for it, but when I go back to tokyo I will certainly shell out, even if I have to re-mortgage to afford it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aloj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,167 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!